What's Plan B?

Marty34

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh...no.

You have Peavy, Danks, and Floyd in their contract years, Humber and Sale, and a pretty decent bullpen. Along with unmovable contracts in Dunn and Rios.

They try to win next year by having everything go right. If it doesn't, they have the trade deadline and next offseason to continue the dismantling.

Will it suck to have Buehrle leave? Yeah, kind of. But by no means do I want them to give him 3 guaranteed years at this point.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
Uh...no.

You have Peavy, Danks, and Floyd in their contract years, Humber and Sale, and a pretty decent bullpen. Along with unmovable contracts in Dunn and Rios.

They try to win next year by having everything go right. If it doesn't, they have the trade deadline and next offseason to continue the dismantling.

Will it suck to have Buehrle leave? Yeah, kind of. But by no means do I want them to give him 3 guaranteed years at this point.

Use the money earmarked for Buehrle to upgrade other areas or save it?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Use the money earmarked for Buehrle to upgrade other areas or save it?

Assuming they're shedding payroll to about 110 mil, you go to arbitration with Danks (or just agree to a one-yr deal), and trade Quentin.

Outfield--Rios, De Aza, Viciedo

Infield--Morel, Ramirez, Beckham, Konerko

Catcher-Pierzynski

DH- Dunn

Bench--Lillibridge, Flowers, maybe Martinez or Kuhn, or sign a cheap veteran outfielder.

Rotation--Peavy, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Sale

Bullpen--Axelrod, Frasor, Reed, Ohman, Thornton, Crain, Santos

That's probably around 110 mil.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 02:16 PM)
What about a bad year? 9.5 mil isn't exactly cheap labor.

A single bad year would not be enough, based on his track record. You'd still spend $9.5 million on him if he put up an ERA over 5 next year, unless you knew that he physically couldn't pitch.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:26 AM)
Uh...no.

How do you pronounce your name? Flay-vum or flah-vum?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
If Buehrle goes do they tear it all down? I think they do and every player should be available.

That's a l.ittle drastic don't you think? I want Mark to stay but lose one player and tear it all down? I don't think so. Plus Sale is slotted to step in apparently.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 06:41 PM)
Mediocrity>complete s***

For f*cks sake, this team has got to do something to build up this atrocious farm system. Aside from Addison Reed they literally have nothing coming. They won't invest in the DR, won't pay above slot in the Rule 4 so if you have to open the store and deal the SP chips they have. DO IT!

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Because 1/2 that rotation has a decent chance at being bad.

Which half?

Danks

Floyd

Sa

or

le

Peavy

Humber/Stewart/Axelrod?

Or is there some combination of those that I'm missing?

---

Obviously poking fun. I get the point, and you're right, there is a lot that can go wrong with that rotation. Anybody counting on Chris Sale to be the #3 starter at this point is fooling themselves. The Sox will be LUCKY to get merely the innings pitched of Jaime Garcia during his rookie year...I'm expecting closer to 140-150. They'll be lucky to get the same out of Jake Peavy. And asking Humber, Stewart, and Axelrod to do the same? Jesus.

BTW, when I "say" 'Dylan Axelrod,' does it sound like I'm "saying" 'John Ely' to anybody else?