What's Plan B?

Marty34

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:08 PM)
For f*cks sake, this team has got to do something to build up this atrocious farm system. Aside from Addison Reed they literally have nothing coming. They won't invest in the DR, won't pay above slot in the Rule 4 so if you have to open the store and deal the SP chips they have. DO IT!

I could care sell about our BA rankings. I don't want to go through a 60 win season, just so we can be at the top of a prospect list. I also don't want to go through having a million fans in the stands again, and having no expectations of being good for years.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 07:46 AM)
I could care sell about our BA rankings. I don't want to go through a 60 win season, just so we can be at the top of a prospect list. I also don't want to go through having a million fans in the stands again, and having no expectations of being good for years.

I think we already have that :ph34r:

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)

I am agreeing with you on this one. We are still a good team and can compete while drafting better and maybe signing the minor league free agents to help stock up what folks consider to be a bad farm system. I think we will be seeing some of those lower class minor league/rookie teams producing soon

We don't actually have to become the Kansas City Royals to have some decent prospects in our system outside of a reliever and a couple guys with strikeout issues. If we smartly trade off a couple of our more expensive players and then stop pretending that farm systems are worthless, we'd be just fine. And, there is certainly something more substantive in having a good farm than just being at the top of a prospect list. You know, the actual prospects within our system.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 10, 2011 -> 11:21 AM)
If Buehrle goes do they tear it all down? I think they do and every player should be available.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)
We don't actually have to become the Kansas City Royals to have some decent prospects in our system outside of a reliever and a couple guys with strikeout issues. If we smartly trade off a couple of our more expensive players and then stop pretending that farm systems are worthless, we'd be just fine. And, there is certainly something more substantive in having a good farm than just being at the top of a prospect list. You know, the actual prospects within our system.

I think you missed the very first post in this thread.

Will you go through a 60 win season or two in order to become a legitimate world series contender for a year or two?

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 01:41 PM)
Will you go through a 60 win season or two in order to become a legitimate world series contender for a year or two?

So tell me how many times in the history of baseball a team has gone from 60 wins to a world series contender in one or two years? I'd venture to bet it is only a couple tops.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
So tell me how many times in the history of baseball a team has gone from 60 wins to a world series contender in one or two years? I'd venture to bet it is only a couple tops.

I never said they would go from 60 wins to World Series contender in one or two years.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:10 PM)
I never said they would go from 60 wins to World Series contender in one or two years.

Agreeing with Marty on this one.

He said being a contender for one or two years, not in one or two years.

That felt weird.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:12 PM)
Agreeing with Marty on this one.

He said being a contender for one or two years, not in one or two years.

That felt weird.

Yeah, I caught that the second time around, and if it is only going to be for a year or two, it makes even less sense to me.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Yeah, I caught that the second time around, and if it is only going to be for a year or two, it makes even less sense to me.

True, if you blow it up and are a contender from your 'spects, its generally for 3 or 4.

1 or 2 years is the method KW took in '05-'06

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
Yeah, so not interested in four or five years of sucking, so that maybe, just maybe, we can compete then.

A year or two of being bad, a year of being what they are now, then a couple years of being World Series contenders. I'm talking about two years of being the best team in the A.L. If you think two years isn't enough, you don't understand the competitive advantage the Yankees have over the rest of the league.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
A year or two of being bad, a year of being what they are now, then a couple years of being World Series contenders. I'm talking about two years of being the best team in the A.L. If you think two years isn't enough, you don't understand the competitive advantage the Yankees have over the rest of the league.

If you think a total rebuild will put us into World Series contention in three to four years, you don't understand baseball period. Teams don't completely blow it up, and get back that quickly, especially in MLB.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:31 PM)
If you think a total rebuild will put us into World Series contention in three to four years, you don't understand baseball period. Teams don't completely blow it up, and get back that quickly, especially in MLB.

As long as we're speaking in generalities, mediocre teams don't win World Series either.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
As long as we're speaking in generalities, mediocre teams don't win World Series either.

So show me teams that have done what you are proposing. A total blow up from a middle of the road team, to the World Series within three to four years.

I can think of one, and it took six years.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 12:26 PM)

Thank you. The problem with the system isn't just lack of any quality depth, it's the approach to the farm system. They refuse to invest in it at a level even close to the rest of baseball so the only way to restock it is to deal for prospects. If they are cutting back on payroll you must build from within to sustain any kind of success.

That is the importance of the system. As you can see, the franchise is a f*cking mess because of all this.

Hasn't this been the case for years? KW seems to think that some big FA acquisition will compensate for our total lack of a farm system. Well, how's that been workin' out for ya?

Question: when was the last homegrown player we brought up who turned into an every day kind of guy? I asked my co-worker this and the only ones we could think of recently were Buehrle and Crede. We're counting Gordo as a question mark right now. Outside of that, who?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 03:26 PM)
Thank you. The problem with the system isn't just lack of any quality depth, it's the approach to the farm system. They refuse to invest in it at a level even close to the rest of baseball so the only way to restock it is to deal for prospects. If they are cutting back on payroll you must build from within to sustain any kind of success.

That is the importance of the system. As you can see, the franchise is a f*cking mess because of all this.

I like this post. It's funny that people think they can maintain the status quo and all of a sudden the farm is going to get better. I'm fine with multiple down seasons if the organization addresses the issues that are apparent to almost everyone. Though, I'll wager the organization continues to be in between while denying any problems exist. I'm with Marty on this one.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 11, 2011 -> 04:40 PM)
I like this post. It's funny that people think they can maintain the status quo and all of a sudden the farm is going to get better. I'm fine with multiple down seasons if the organization addresses the issues that are apparent to almost everyone. Though, I'll wager the organization continues to be in between while denying any problems exist. I'm with Marty on this one.

But it's better to go into every season thinking you have a chance. Doesn't matter how many times you come up short, or in our case, wayyyyyyyyyy short. I'd love to be the Nationals right now.