Is De Aza an ideal lead off hitter?

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:25 AM)
Did you watch him play last season?

I agree, he looked like a very good leadoff hitter.

He reminded me of the lines Rock Raines put up before he couldn't run anymore.

Rock would go 2-5 or 3-5 and bash line drives.

DeAza was a likeable player on an unlikeable team.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 12:54 AM)

This made me snicker.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 01:09 AM)
I want De Aza as our 4th OF for defense and pinch running, and to take over for Rios in CF when he goes on his terrible stretches. But I don't trust De Aza in a full time role.

I really don't understand why this sentiment has such a strong hold here. It's not as if he's this DeWayne Wise type player who got hot. He's always put up solid minor league numbers, he has the physical tools, he's made opening day rosters in the past and he came through a pretty well respected minor league system. The only reason it's taken him so long to make it to the majors full time is injuries. The leg injury he suffered in Florida was quite bad and detrimental to his development. Concerns over his ability to stay healthy are one thing, but I think he's proven that, when healthy, he is quite capable of being a major league starter.

Edited by ChiSox_Sonix

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 07:14 AM)
I really don't understand why this sentiment has such a strong hold here. It's not as if he's this DeWayne Wise type player who got hot. He's always put up solid minor league numbers, he has the physical tools, he's made opening day rosters in the past and he came through a pretty well respected minor league system. The only reason it's taken him so long to make it to the majors full time is injuries. The leg injury he suffered in Florida was quite bad and detrimental to his development. Concerns over his ability to stay healthy are one thing, but I think he's proven that, when healthy, he is quite capable of being a major league starter.

As the roster is currently constructed, he definitely deserves to be the everyday CF and leadoff hitter. If Robin wants to go with a straight platoon with De Aza and Lillibridge, I'd be more than fine with that. I do have more faith in De Aza as a regular than Lillibridge though. Both have a nice set of physical tools, but De Aza has a history of actually turning those tools into production in the minors. People keep forgetting that Lillibridge suddenly put everything together last year at the major league level and that screams fluke to me. Right now, I would try to limit him as a lefty-masher and defensive replacement off the bench. If he succeeds in that role again in 2012, then you can consider expanding his role.

Now, if we somehow manage to sign Cespedes, which seems very unlikely, I'm cool with doing a four man OF rotation with him, Rios, Viciedo, and De Aza, with De Aza starting all games against right-handed pitching.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 11:54 PM)

This made me snicker.

I hope DeAza stays away from those lines Raines put up, or he will struggle to stay in the majors.

To answer the question in the thread title title, no. Rickey Henderson was the ideal lead off hitter. However De Aza did a good job last year and may be the best option we have. Lillibridge's 2011 ... was a fluke or did it all come together for him? I don't know, but we will find out in 2012.

^^^

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
Ideal? No.

But he's decent and certainly better than what we had the last 2 years, whom this organization seemed to think was ideal.

Ideal no way, servicable, probably. Plus the sox weren't going to make a move to acquire anyone, its obvious they were behind the ceiling quite a bit on the debt load from last year and all the dead money on the books. Think about it, the Sox traded Santos and Quentin away and received a cast of A and AA players. They signed no major league ball players, they let Buehrle and Pierre walk. Its pretty obvious, 2012 is a dont do anything lets get the books under control type year.

QUOTE (YASNY @ Jan 26, 2012 -> 11:51 AM)
To answer the question in the thread title title, no. Rickey Henderson was the ideal lead off hitter. However De Aza did a good job last year and may be the best option we have. Lillibridge's 2011 ... was a fluke or did it all come together for him? I don't know, but we will find out in 2012.

That's a totally unfair comparison, it's like saying Jerry Rice is an ideal WR or Michael Jordan is an ideal shooting guard. Who wouldn't love a Rickey Henderson on their team, lol. But there was only one, ever

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 12:03 AM)
That's a totally unfair comparison, it's like saying Jerry Rice is an ideal WR or Michael Jordan is an ideal shooting guard. Who wouldn't love a Rickey Henderson on their team, lol. But there was only one, ever

It wasn't a comparison. Henderson was the ideal. That defines what ideal is in this thread. That's all.

If you say Ricky Henderson was the ideal lead off hitter - you are right. But, guys like him come around just so often so comparing De Aza or any other possible lead off option would not be fair. But, De Aza did earn the chance to at least get the try. I think he has shown through his career he puts up good numbers and just needs to avoid injuries and get the opportunity to play. It will be interesting and hopefully fun to see how he does this year when given a chance to playfull-time. It seems we are quick to use terms like "ideal lead off hitter, etc" but what is the ideal?

I think I see what YASNY was getting at. I mean if you were mass-producing a robot that was designed after a player to be a leadoff hitter, you wouldn't model it after De Aza but he showed he's good enough to be one, or earn the chance at least.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 28, 2012 -> 11:33 AM)
I think I see what YASNY was getting at. I mean if you were mass-producing a robot that was designed after a player to be a leadoff hitter, you wouldn't model it after De Aza but he showed he's good enough to be one, or earn the chance at least.

That's a fair assesment of what I was thinking. I don't believe I thought of manufacturing robots, but it works.

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

Ventura is effusive in praise for De Aza, will decide about outfield alignment in spring training. #SoxFest

19 hours ago

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

"I'm not going to have Paul Konerko leading off," says Ventura, drawing laughs. "I'm not trying to re-invent the lineup wheel."

19 hours ago