Server to server speeds

Texsox

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 05:48 AM)
I know a couple people around here run servers, I was wondering what are the server to server speeds?

What exactly does this mean?

Are you talking about networking speeds between two servers on the same network?

That would depend on the network, be it wired or wireless, etc.

These days, it's pretty standard to have 100mbit speeds between servers. Gigabit also exists, but I doubt most people have it.

I have 450mbit wireless on a few of my computers, and 54mbit wireless on others.

In any case, for most things, any of those speeds are fine...and some are downright excessive.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
What exactly does this mean?

Are you talking about networking speeds between two servers on the same network?

That would depend on the network, be it wired or wireless, etc.

These days, it's pretty standard to have 100mbit speeds between servers. Gigabit also exists, but I doubt most people have it.

I have 450mbit wireless on a few of my computers, and 54mbit wireless on others.

In any case, for most things, any of those speeds are fine...and some are downright excessive.

Actually I was thinking internet server to server. For example when Google is crawling through soxtalk, what kind of speeds are they able to achieve?

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)
Actually I was thinking internet server to server. For example when Google is crawling through soxtalk, what kind of speeds are they able to achieve?

As fast as the "pipe" between the two would allow. They will both have theoretical speeds, but depending on the path it takes, it could be slowed down because a single hop is on a slower connection.

Google's speeds are probably far beyond what Soxtalk could handle...but the actual speed will depend on the path it takes from Server A to Server B -- which could travel through 10+ different networks/routes along the path to it's destination. The slowest point in that path is the maximum speed it will reach.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 02:21 PM)
As fast as the "pipe" between the two would allow. They will both have theoretical speeds, but depending on the path it takes, it could be slowed down because a single hop is on a slower connection.

Google's speeds are probably far beyond what Soxtalk could handle...but the actual speed will depend on the path it takes from Server A to Server B -- which could travel through 10+ different networks/routes along the path to it's destination. The slowest point in that path is the maximum speed it will reach.

If it was geared to run the tests in the same way, the main processing "Thing" at Google would be 1 of the 10 most powerful computers in the world.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 12:52 PM)

If we are talking about Soxtalk, it is approximately the high speed of the hamsters ability to run in the wheel.

Maybe I picked a poor example, thinking about internet architecture we have the speed individuals can connect through the various providers, then we have a second speed that for example a server talks to another server, how fast can that go.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
Maybe I picked a poor example, thinking about internet architecture we have the speed individuals can connect through the various providers, then we have a second speed that for example a server talks to another server, how fast can that go.

I think he's still right; the choke point is the connection between the 2 servers. A server in my office communicating with the Soxtalk hamsters is limited mostly by the connection speed between them.