Verlander wins AL Cy Young

southsider2k5

Glad no morons put Sabathia first. No surprises in the voting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 01:11 PM)
jaysonst Jayson Stark

Found it fascinating that Jose Valverde finished 5th in AL Cy Young. No blown SVs but among AL relievers with 50+ IP, he ranked 19th in WAR!

WAR is maybe not a great measure for closers. No way anyone in their right mind would have rather had 18 closers more so than Valverde last year.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 01:19 PM)

WAR is maybe not a great measure for closers. No way anyone in their right mind would have rather had 18 closers more so than Valverde last year.

I think Valverde's screw ups in mop up time screwed with his peripherals, meaning poorer numbers. He was definitely top 10 last season considering how good he was in save situations.

Still, the joke is that he got 5th somehow, ahead of Dan Haren.

It was 18 relievers with a higher WAR than Valverde, not 18 closers. I'm betting that most of those 18 were not closers, but yeah, I agree that WAR is not a great measure for closers.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 07:14 AM)
It was 18 relievers with a higher WAR than Valverde, not 18 closers. I'm betting that most of those 18 were not closers, but yeah, I agree that WAR is not a great measure for closers.

FWIW, Valverde was 2nd in the AL in WPA, first among closers. Only David Robertson had a higher WPA. Valverde also led the league in shut downs (saves or good appearances in close game situations) with 38. His 5 meltdowns were the second lowest for a closer.

So Valverde really did have a great season if you view things from a win probability perspective. His peripherals were far from excellent though. Which probably means he won't repeat what he did this past year.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:35 AM)
FWIW, Valverde was 2nd in the AL in WPA, first among closers. Only David Robertson had a higher WPA. Valverde also led the league in shut downs (saves or good appearances in close game situations) with 38. His 5 meltdowns were the second lowest for a closer.

So Valverde really did have a great season if you view things from a win probability perspective. His peripherals were far from excellent though. Which probably means he won't repeat what he did this past year.

I am sure he won't, not just because of the odds, but because I think he was unusually lucky (which is what you are getting at I think). His stuff was good, but didn't look as good as the perfect save % made it seem.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 09:16 AM)
I am sure he won't, not just because of the odds, but because I think he was unusually lucky (which is what you are getting at I think). His stuff was good, but didn't look as good as the perfect save % made it seem.

You can say the exact same thing about Verlander.