southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

Escobar could be option for White Sox at 2B

November, 15, 2011

Nov 15

1:58

PM CT

By Doug Padilla

MILWAUKEE – Without a solid alternative at second base beyond starter Gordon Beckham, Eduardo Escobar could get more opportunities to shine on the right side of the infield.

For now, Escobar is a shortstop, but his path to a big-league job with the White Sox is obviously blocked by Alexei Ramirez. The White Sox could end up giving Escobar more playing time this spring at second base in an effort to push Beckham and have more infield options.

When talking about White Sox players in the Venezuelan winter league and the dangers they face, general manager Kenny Williams was more than complimentary of Escobar, who is currently playing in his native country.

“He lives there, he is a tough kid and he can navigate his way through,” Williams said. “He’s a tough kid from a tough family.”

(For the record, Williams said that if any White Sox players are worried for their safety in Venezuela in the wake of the kidnapping and ultimate rescue of Nationals catcher Wilson Ramos, they have been given the team’s blessing to return home.)

Escobar has played some second base and saw a little bit of action there after he was recalled in September. Of the five games he played in the field during the season’s final month, two of those games were at second.

Last season was the first sign the White Sox were considering Escobar as an option at second base. He played 30 games there at Triple-A Charlotte. He had never played more than 12 games at second in any of his previous five minor-league seasons.

The White Sox aren’t trying to put negative pressure on Beckham to perform, but they do need options moving forward and Escobar is one of the few middle infield possibilities they have.

Beckham batted just .230 this past season, the lowest mark of his three big-league seasons. He had a .296 on-base percentage and a .337 slugging percentage, also career lows. To Beckham’s credit he did make massive strides defensively at second base.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 15, 2011 -> 06:21 PM)
If this doesn't shame Gordon into remembering how to play baseball, nothing will. Two years ago he was one of the up and coming young stars in baseball. Now there's legitimate talk of him being bounced by super stud Edjuardo Escobar.

I don't think it's all that legitimate. I think it was the offseason in which Jermaine Dye left that there was stuff floated about the Sox considering Stefan Gartrell as a possible starter.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 08:13 PM)
The Sox just want to push Beckham. Last year he was an offensive machine compared to what Escobar would be like. He has no stick.

I think this is correct. Escobar is looked at as an "option at 2B". What I read is a message being sent to Gordon to really work hard on things this off season and in ST to get that bat going. Beckham is an outstanding defender already. I think Escobar takes the place of Vizquel and is worked into a super sub role with Lillibridge.

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)
The Sox just want to push Beckham. Last year he was an offensive machine compared to what Escobar would be like. He has no stick.

Agreed. I also think this is an indirect push to Tyler Kuhn. Now Tyler can have that "Why not me?" motivation in spring training- kinda like Beckham back in 09. I love it.