What is your top Buehrle contract

southsider2k5

Really depends on what else KW has on the table.

If he's got really good offers sitting there for Danks, Floyd, Quentin, Thornton, and maybe even the Captain, then I might well make a conservative, 3/$36 offer and let M-56 decide if he wants to stay through rebuilding.

If he's got crappy offers sitting there for most of them, and he lets M-56 walk, then he's created a no-win situation.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
That's pretty much what I had earlier, I agree.

Trading Danks and/or Quentin isn't about re-signing MB, although that could be a nice secondary effect. Danks and TCQ are free agents after 2012, and if we aren't going to extend them, it would be a good time to get something in return. And if you do that, and clear salary space, then it would be great to have Mark back at the right price. You can't look at signing MB by itself, it is part of the puzzle.

And at the deadline, I think those players will get less return than they do right now.

I'll admit though, I am also biased in that I think Mark at his money/years is a better investment than Danks at the money/years he would receive in an extension.

This is the key for me. Especially for Danks, this is the winter he either needs to sign, or go. TCQ is gone regardless because I see Dayan putting up essentially close to his numbers, especially when injuries are factored in.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 10:56 AM)
3/$39 million with an option for a fourth year. A creative contract like Konerko's would be nice to save some money up front until a bad contract or two goes away.

I'd go 4/$60, but with deferred pay like Paulie's, and also a 5th mutual option year.

But I know he's not worth that. I just hate the thought of losing him.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 11:42 AM)
I'll admit though, I am also biased in that I think Mark at his money/years is a better investment than Danks at the money/years he would receive in an extension.

I totally agree with the bolded. I think they both win you about the same amount of games over the next 3-4 years.

I like Mark's control better, I think he snuffs the running game better, he wins Gold Gloves, and frankly he just doesn't let people score. He's less of an injury risk because of his velocity and simply because we can sign him for only 3-4 years. It just seems like a better, safer contract for a team that desperately needs a good, safe contract right now.

With Sale moving into the rotation, I don't see us keeping both Mark and John. 3 lefties? Really?

Edited by Jerksticks

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 16, 2011 -> 04:58 PM)
Without out knowing what the ramifications would be with other negotiations, I would say 3/$42 with a decent mutual option for the 4th year. I would also like some list of maybe 5-6 teams that he would accept a trade.

This should get it done.

It's fair to both sides.

SIGN HIM.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 01:47 PM)
Five years? Jeebus.

I'm Buehrle fan #1 but even I couldn't see that.

If you have money to spend, and you're looking for a pitcher to gamble it on, M-56 is as good of a bet as is out there. No injury history, long record of performance, might well retire and save you the last couple years.

I'd rather go 5 on Mark! than 7 on CJ Wilson.

Preferably just move on but, if Reinsdorf gets involved, I hope they go no higher than 3/$30

I think the innings are catching up to MB. I think much of his success last season can be attributed to the 6 man rotation we had for a while. Granted he still finished with 31 GS, but he really tailed off toward the end of the season. Both his 2010 and 2011 Septembers he finished with ERAs over 6. I don't feel that bodes well for a 3 or 4 year deal.

QUOTE (CanOfCorn @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Another team will offer more.

I'd think 3 years at 14 mill a year would satisfy everybody since Mark always acts like he would be content retiring.

If somebody gives him five years, they are crazy.

Four years at 14 mill a year would be mighty generous; I would think Sox could live with it.