Packages that would net us a haul

Jerksticks

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 07:19 PM)
Any idea what teams would be interested in alexi if we made him available - and what the potential return would be?

I'd imagine the losers on Ryes might be very tempted if alexi could be had

brewers maybe? i know they were rumored to be in the reyes sweepstakes, so they're looking to upgrade the ss position. not sure what kind of return the sox could get.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 05:47 PM)
I can't see Pittsburgh taking a player of Konerko's age and contract.

I vaguely recall reading early reports the Pirates were interested in perhaps making a surprise signing during FA. I figured maybe with the prospect of Fielder and Pujols changing teams, the Pirates would see an opening in their division. I also sincerely think someone like Konerko could help their club tremendously. Plus they have a lot of intriguing talent.

I think a smart move for Kenny would be to trade Konerko this offseason and move Dunn back to 1B. Konerko has a ton of value and we can get teams that missed out to Fielder/Pujols to overpay. Dunn would benefit as well, since he wouldn't sulk on the bench after a horrendous at-bat. He could field. He could forget.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 06:47 PM)
I can't see Pittsburgh taking a player of Konerko's age and contract.

I actually could. If they feel like they've finally reached a point where contention is within grasp, which is totally possible given their first half of 2011, they might want to make a push by targeting some established players to put them over the top. It also signals a change, that the organization is no longer a seller. This sounds really lame, but for a fan base that has dealt with historical levels of incompetence, it means something.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 08:19 PM)
Any idea what teams would be interested in alexi if we made him available - and what the potential return would be?

I'd imagine the losers on Ryes might be very tempted if alexi could be had

I would think they would try and sign Jimmy Rollins before trading pieces to get Alexei. Rollins will come cheaper than Reyes.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 11:31 PM)
I actually could. If they feel like they've finally reached a point where contention is within grasp, which is totally possible given their first half of 2011, they might want to make a push by targeting some established players to put them over the top. It also signals a change, that the organization is no longer a seller. This sounds really lame, but for a fan base that has dealt with historical levels of incompetence, it means something.

They probably missed their window last season. Though getting a big named player could change some perceptions and maybe sell some tickets.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
They probably missed their window last season. Though getting a big named player could change some perceptions and maybe sell some tickets.

Their window is only getting bigger. Huntington is doing a good job, and also yes. Ticket sales would go up. People in Pittsburgh love the Pirates. They want a reason to pay to watch them. Can't say I blame them. They have the best stadium in baseball.....if they just had a watchable team it would do wonders.

QUOTE (Pale Sox @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:14 PM)
Their window is only getting bigger. Huntington is doing a good job, and also yes. Ticket sales would go up. People in Pittsburgh love the Pirates. They want a reason to pay to watch them. Can't say I blame them. They have the best stadium in baseball.....if they just had a watchable team it would do wonders.

In that division? I doubt they are in it next year.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:59 AM)
I'd like to see Danks traded to Boston for Reddick and Lowrie

I wouldn't want Reddick. We already have a corner OF logjam as it is. Lowrie makes sense only if we want to dump Alexei. Brewers do a make a lot of sense for Alexei, but their farm system is total garbage.

Now, the Cardinals might be an intriguing team for Alexei, as their other choices are overpay for Rollins or overpay for Furcal.

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:33 PM)
Do the Mets have a replacement for Reyes?

How good is their farm?

Daniel Murphy and eventually Wilmer Flores, I think. Farm has some high-ceiling pitchers, but Mets pitchers ALWAYS bust, don't they? Mejia, Harvey, and at least one more good one.