southsider2k5

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros sale approved

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros to AL

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces 2 more wild card teams

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

Bud also confirms the leagues will go to 15-15. "It won't be perfect. Nothing in any schedule is perfect. But this will be very good.''

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to comment on the wild card stuff until they announce the actual format. I see nothing wrong with the playoffs currently though, other than the 1st round being only best of 5.

With 15-15 in each league, that means interleague every weekend, huh? That could be interesting.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:23 AM)
DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros sale approved

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros to AL

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces 2 more wild card teams

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

Bud also confirms the leagues will go to 15-15. "It won't be perfect. Nothing in any schedule is perfect. But this will be very good.''

I'm surprised to see the Astros going to the AL, although I hadn't really heard of any other team being moved.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
I'm surprised to see the Astros going to the AL, although I hadn't really heard of any other team being moved.

no other team needs to be moved. There are now 5 teams in the AL West and 5 teams in the NL Central

Is this move effective immediately?

pretty sure the Astros move to the AL is for 2013

ok, dumb question why does 2 15 team leagues mean interleague play all the time? Is it because of odd numbers in each league?

Edited by MEANS

QUOTE (MEANS @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
pretty sure the Astros move to the AL is for 2013

ok, dumb question why does 2 15 team leagues mean interleague play all the time? Is it because of odd numbers in each league?

Yes it's because of the odd number of teams. In order for teams to play everyday, 1 NL and 1 AL team will have to play one another. (The 14 other NL and AL teams will be playing each other, leaving 1 AL and 1 NL playing no one)

Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE (sayitaintso @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
Yes it's because of the odd number of teams. In order for teams to play everyday, 1 NL and 1 AL team will have to play one another. (The 14 other NL and AL teams will be playing each other, leaving 1 AL and 1 NL playing no one)

It sounds like each team will have 30 intersquad games a year now.

How the hell can you have a DH sit 15 games a year? (No Dunn jokes please)

That's too many out of 162.

I also despise a one-game playoff between wildcard teams where the potential of one of them having 98 wins vs an 84 win team.

The game will be worse in 2013. Thanks, Bud.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
How the hell can you have a DH sit 15 games a year? (No Dunn jokes please)

That's too many out of 162.

I also despise a one-game playoff between wildcard teams where the potential of one of them having 98 wins vs an 84 win team.

The game will be worse in 2013. Thanks, Bud.

9 vs. 15 is really that big of a deal? Effectively, with pinch hitting, we're talking about a difference of less than 20 plate appearances.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:50 AM)
I wish there was some way to make him move the Brewers back to the AL, and put KC in the AL west. The Brewers never should have left the league.

Beat me to it. I hated when that happened. The Brewers will always seem like an AL team.

Edited by Chet Kincaid

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:59 AM)
9 vs. 15 is really that big of a deal? Effectively, with pinch hitting, we're talking about a difference of less than 20 plate appearances.

Yes, I think that's a significant jump, especially when they are sitting three days in row.

Also going from 252 to 450 interleague games, we're going to see some truly awful NL records, where they only have 5-6 teams with winning records at the end of the season, and 9 or 10 NL teams will have better draft picks because of this potentially.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
Yes, I think that's a significant jump, especially when they are sitting three days in row.

Also going from 252 to 450 interleague games, we're going to see some truly awful NL records, where they only have 5-6 teams with winning records at the end of the season, and 9 or 10 NL teams will have better draft picks because of this potentially.

This is a pretty egregious exaggeration.

First of all, the disparity is not as skewed as it was 4-5 years ago. I think it was closer last year than it had been recently.

Second of all, 5-6 teams with winning records at the end of the season would require an outlier interleague winning percentage that we have never seen.

Edited by Greg Hibbard

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)

First of all, the disparity is not as skewed as it was 4-5 years ago. I think it was closer last year than it had been recently.

Second of all, 5-6 teams with winning records at the end of the season would require an outlier interleague winning percentage that we have never seen.

The NL had 7 winning teams this year with the Dodgers going 82-79...in a year where interleague was pretty close.

If they have years where there are few truly good teams AND the AL dominates in interleague with almost 200 more games, it's going to be noticable.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)

Sez guy who just claimed Houston and Seattle were 4000 miles apart...