Selig announcing changes including Astros and Wild Card

southsider2k5

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 11:58 AM)
How the hell can you have a DH sit 15 games a year? (No Dunn jokes please)

That's too many out of 162.

I also despise a one-game playoff between wildcard teams where the potential of one of them having 98 wins vs an 84 win team.

The game will be worse in 2013. Thanks, Bud.

It's not that much more than the current situation.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:14 PM)
My biggest problem with expanding the playoffs is that the season already lasts too long. Real baseball should not be played in March or November. Maybe they can shorten spring training a week or something.

They did a real good job of getting things done on time this year, just by cutting back the playoff offdays.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:38 PM)
I actually wouldn't mind adding two more teams to round it at at 32 - 16 in each league.

In the long term (10 years+) this wouldn't be the worst idea ever...the talent is catching up to the point where the league could handle it...

But the U.S. economy doesn't have it in there right now to build 2 franchises from scratch.

A couple thoughts

It creates a better rivalry within Texas.

I'm happy with no expansion

A few more interleague games without a DH I can live with

I doubt most fans will even notice the changes.

Paves the way for a NBA, NFL kind of format

I don't mind another team making the playoffs, if it is staged like I think it makes winning a division mean a little more. Now the WC will have to win another series before taking on a division winner.

It sounds like each team will have 30 intersquad games a year now.

Did you read that somewhere, because spreading out the IL games over the entire season does not require having more interleague games?

I know there are off days, but for simplicity's sake let's suppose there are 162 days in the season. Each day has to have at least one team in each league playing an IL game. You have 15 teams to cover 162 games, so each team would only have to average 10.8 IL games to be able to cover the season minimally.

If each team maintains the current number of 18 IL games, you can have some days with one IL game and other days with three IL games and that covers it. You don't HAVE to increase the number of IL games per team.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)
Did you read that somewhere, because spreading out the IL games over the entire season does not require having more interleague games?

I know there are off days, but for simplicity's sake let's suppose there are 162 days in the season. Each day has to have at least one team in each league playing an IL game. You have 15 teams to cover 162 games, so each team would only have to average 10.8 IL games to be able to cover the season minimally.

If each team maintains the current number of 18 IL games, you can have some days with one IL game and other days with three IL games and that covers it. You don't HAVE to increase the number of IL games per team.

No they don't have to increase it. They just want to because they think it makes them more money.

In fact, they could reduce it to 12 games per team and still have enough schedule to spread it out over a 26-week schedule.

With 30 games per team, there will be 150 interleague series, which means on average there will be 6 AL, 6 NL, and 3 interleague games going on at any given time.

This whole thing just pisses me off. They add a wildcard where teams have the time to play the games against each other to compete for those spots and they decide to play the opposite league MORE games? f***ing ridiculous.

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros sale approved

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces Astros to AL

DKnobler DKnobler

Selig announces 2 more wild card teams

jcrasnick Jerry Crasnick

Bud also confirms the leagues will go to 15-15. "It won't be perfect. Nothing in any schedule is perfect. But this will be very good.''

2 AL teams in Texas makes no sense

Wildcard teams will play each other to start.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:50 PM)

I caught it on twitter somewhere along the line.

QUOTE (Soxfest @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)

The state is pretty damn big and supports three NBA teams. They are as far apart as Chicago and St. Louis. The rivalry should be exciting to watch.

Wildcard teams will play each other to start.

Well, if you accept the premise that having two 15-team leagues is the way to go, then it isn't that far-fetched. You have eight teams in the Mountain/Pacific time zones: SEA, OAK, SF, LAD, LAA, SD, ARI, COL. You need two more teams from the Central time zone to stick in the Western divisions. Houston and Texas are pretty much the next farthest west teams, so they are the ones. If you have them in the same league, then only one of the two divisions has division opponents that are so far away, and from the standpoint of the Texas teams, they at least have each other for a rivalry and to minimize travel instead of each of them being stuck wtih four western teams.

Of course, the real reason is that the Astros were changing hands so MLB had a way to force them to switch, but it actually makes sense as well.

Not a big fan of the extra wild card teams either...unless you shorten the season. That old coot Selig is trying embellish handprint on the MLB...which is basically the equivalent of a skid mark in your shorts. Don't mess with the playoff format.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
No they don't have to increase it. They just want to because they think it makes them more money.

In fact, they could reduce it to 12 games per team and still have enough schedule to spread it out over a 26-week schedule.

With 30 games per team, there will be 150 interleague series, which means on average there will be 6 AL, 6 NL, and 3 interleague games going on at any given time.

This whole thing just pisses me off. They add a wildcard where teams have the time to play the games against each other to compete for those spots and they decide to play the opposite league MORE games? f***ing ridiculous.

You are forgetting that MLB teams are never, ever off on Friday, Saturday or Sunday (and I guarantee they won't change that). So you don't have 7 days a week to work with, you have 4. And since the scheduling is not a perfect thing, you also need a little wriggle room. So yes, they will need to add more interleague games.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 03:45 PM)
You are forgetting that MLB teams are never, ever off on Friday, Saturday or Sunday (and I guarantee they won't change that). So you don't have 7 days a week to work with, you have 4. And since the scheduling is not a perfect thing, you also need a little wriggle room. So yes, they will need to add more interleague games.

If there are 150 interleague series total, and 26 weekend and 25 weekday blocks to work with, then basically they have 50 blocks to work with, with one bye for 1 AL and NL team on a Tuesday and Wednesday.

For the purposes of this example, let's just assume the weekday blocks are all Monday-Wednesday, and there won't be any interleague games on Thursdays.

24 Monday-Wednesday blocks (1 bye, 1 AS Break)

26 Friday-Sunday blocks

If they had 3 IL series at a time then there is your 150 IL series.

But they'll probably stack more toward the middle of the season and only have one at a time in the last month of the season.

One new thing they could do that I like is Opening Day vs the Cubs. It would be a new twist on interleague play that could work and help attendance the 2nd and 3rd games of the season. Not every year, but once in a while would be kinda cool.

On less interleague---they could have done 12 game each, which would have been 4 series each--60 total series:

5 weekends x 3 series= 15 series

21 weekends x 1 series= 21 series

24 weekday x 1 series-= 24 series

One weekday bye for one AL and NL team on a Tuesday and Wednesday

Edited by flavum

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:06 PM)
If there are 150 interleague series total, and 26 weekend and 25 weekday blocks to work with, then basically they have 50 blocks to work with, with one bye for 1 AL and NL team on a Tuesday and Wednesday.

For the purposes of this example, let's just assume the weekday blocks are all Monday-Wednesday, and there won't be any interleague games on Thursdays.

24 Monday-Wednesday blocks (1 bye, 1 AS Break)

26 Friday-Sunday blocks

If they had 3 IL series at a time then there is your 150 IL series.

But they'll probably stack more toward the middle of the season and only have one at a time in the last month of the season.

One new thing they could do that I like is Opening Day vs the Cubs. It would be a new twist on interleague play that could work and help attendance the 2nd and 3rd games of the season. Not every year, but once in a while would be kinda cool.

On less interleague---they could have done 12 game each, which would have been 4 series each--60 total series:

5 weekends x 3 series= 15 series

21 weekends x 1 series= 21 series

24 weekday x 1 series-= 24 series

One weekday bye for one AL and NL team on a Tuesday and Wednesday

So, they could have done 12 under ideal math, which never really works with that many combos... so you would probably end up with 15 anyway. In other words, they couldn't have reduced them by any significant number, if any at all.

I don't mind going from 15 to 30, with a more NFL-like schedule. Others don't like it I guess.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
The extra wildcard team idea is just a way to make sure Boston doesn't miss another playoff appearance. Now they can get BOS, NY, and TB in every year.

Or to make every season work like last years awesome final week or 2. Either way

Don't know what will happen with 12 more interleague games per team, but here's what would have happened in the AL since 2001:

2001- Min (85 wins) vs Oak (102 wins), division winners-116, 95, 91

2002- Sea/Bos (93) vs LAA (99), dw-103, 103, 94

2003- Sea (93) vs Bos (95), dw-101, 96, 90

2004- Oak (91) vs Bos (98), dw- 101, 92, 92

2005- Cle (93) vs Bos/NY (95), dw- 99, 95, 95

2006- Sox (90) vs Det (95), dw- 97, 96, 93

2007- Sea/Det (88) vs NY (94), dw- 96, 96, 94

2008- NY (89) vs Bos (95), dw- 100, 97, 89

2009- Tex (87) vs Bos (95), dw- 103, 97, 87

2010- Bos (89) vs NY (95), dw- 96, 94, 90

2011- Bos (90) vs TB (91), dw- 97, 96, 95

So look forward to the annual Boston game.

Really, I don't think this new format does anything for the White Sox. Same weak division---just win it.

This new format will be more compelling in the NL, especially since most of their playoff teams will be in the mid 80's to low 90's in wins, especially going from 252 interleague games to 450.

Edited by flavum