Selig announcing changes including Astros and Wild Card

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 07:16 PM)
The whole "Black Sox" connection makes baseball in Vegas very unlikely in our lifetimes. Ditto Pete Rose.

Portland Or is wierd, because it's kinda small, but supposedly the interest in baseball in that area is through the roof.

I think it's been long enough for people to accept Las Vegas, especially if an event from 1919 is one of the main concerns :lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:14 PM)
My biggest problem with expanding the playoffs is that the season already lasts too long. Real baseball should not be played in March or November. Maybe they can shorten spring training a week or something.

How about actually schedule double headers like they used to? Nah that'll never happen.

I don't like seeing Houston come to the AL strictly because it lessons the Sox's chances at making the playoffs. I know we've never won the Wild Card and the Central has only gotten it once I but it still decreases the odds just a bit.

I strongly dislike interleague play so I'm also going to hate seeing it all year long.

As far as another wild card team, I like it because once again, it increases the White Sox odds at making the playoffs even though it probably won't matter, we'd still need to win the division to make it.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
The extra wildcard team idea is just a way to make sure Boston doesn't miss another playoff appearance. Now they can get BOS, NY, and TB in every year.

Lol pretty much. On the bright side, the Sox would have gotten in in 2006 if this system was in place back then. Eh...

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
The extra wildcard team idea is just a way to make sure Boston doesn't miss another playoff appearance. Now they can get BOS, NY, and TB in every year.

I know this is the snarky stock comment about the extra Wildcard, but I disagree. All the new system does is increase the competition for the Wildcard spot. If you win your division, you're set. If not, you have to sweat it out in a one-game playoff. After the one-game playoff, the posteason is exactly the same as the past 16 years.

QUOTE (Buehrlesque @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
I know this is the snarky stock comment about the extra Wildcard, but I disagree. All the new system does is increase the competition for the Wildcard spot. If you win your division, you're set. If not, you have to sweat it out in a one-game playoff. After the one-game playoff, the posteason is exactly the same as the past 16 years.

I agree. This new format hurts the Red Sox more than anyone. If they won the wildcard legitimately in the past, they moved right to the playoffs. Now they have to not only get there, but win a 1-game playoff to move on.

Nobody is going to remember the losers of these 1-game playoffs. They'll finish the regular season on Wednesday, and by Saturday or Sunday, they'll be down to 8 teams again.

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 17, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
How the hell can you have a DH sit 15 games a year? (No Dunn jokes please)

That's too many out of 162.

I also despise a one-game playoff between wildcard teams where the potential of one of them having 98 wins vs an 84 win team.

The game will be worse in 2013. Thanks, Bud.

Get rid of the DH. The ability to catch a baseball should be part of those high salaries.

QUOTE (kitekrazy @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 12:55 PM)
Get rid of the DH. The ability to catch a baseball should be part of those high salaries.

Not going to happen, nor should it.

Not only because it gives a bunch of extra old-timers a chance to maintain contracts every year...some of us like watching the game with the DH.

And some of us really like the fact that there is a strategic difference between the 2 leagues.