White Sox trade rumor

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 05:28 PM)
Need more from the Yankees I think to make this work as a good Sox deal. Plus I think you answered my question to the other post I made. Thanks!

It'd be nice to put one more other piece in there (that is presumably a not top 100 prospect), but this is about the level of return I'd expect for Matty, given his contract status and his lack of ability to close.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:27 PM)
He was still a top 100 in MLB prospect coming into the last 2 seasons based on BA's rankings

Ranking in the 90's I believe.

And yes, Montero absolutely will not stick at catcher for the Yankees. The value is all in that bat of his.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:35 PM)
If he doesn't stick at catcher, of course, that dramatically reduces his value, esp. since 1b is kinda full.

Not sure what the Yankees will do with him. Might treat him like the Victor Martinez of late. I believe most scouts believe he's a future DH. The bat could be f***ing ridiculous though.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
Not sure what the Yankees will do with him. Might treat him like the Victor Martinez of late. I believe most scouts believe he's a future DH. The bat could be f***ing ridiculous though.

Montero isn't that bad at catcher... he really learned a lot this year from Tony Pena in ST and reports were he greatly improved his defense but theres still a lot of work to do. He's only 21.

anyway... I don't see any noise of this trade anyway so I doubt it's true.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
Montero isn't that bad at catcher... he really learned a lot this year from Tony Pena in ST and reports were he greatly improved his defense but theres still a lot of work to do. He's only 21.

anyway... I don't see any noise of this trade anyway so I doubt it's true.

I've yet to read or talk to a reputable source that believe Montero will be a long term fixture at catcher.

I know it's the Yankees. But they've got, what, $30 million committed to Rivera/Soriano next year? Robertson was about as good as any non-closer in baseball last year. Assuming Soriano is healthy, they've basically got innings 7-9 locked up. Thornton at $11 million over two years would be a massive waste, especially considering the issues with their SP.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
I know it's the Yankees. But they've got, what, $30 million committed to Rivera/Soriano next year? Robertson was about as good as any non-closer in baseball last year. Assuming Soriano is healthy, they've basically got innings 7-9 locked up. Thornton at $11 million over two years would be a massive waste, especially considering the issues with their SP.

Take a look at what the Yankees bullpen is bringing from the LH side of the mound.

Boooooooone Logan.

Looking at a world of Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton, etc., they could have used an other bullpen lefty this year.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)
Take a look at what the Yankees bullpen is bringing from the LH side of the mound.

Boooooooone Logan.

Looking at a world of Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Hamilton, etc., they could have used an other bullpen lefty this year.

Robertson, Soriano and Mo all killed lefties. Logan wasn't that great but he got the job done in the second half.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 05:08 PM)

Boooooooone Logan.

That's a lot of coin for a loogy. Even for the Yankees.

by Anonymous Scout

June 18, 2011

Austin Romine

Editor's Note: The reports below are from an anonymous scout who has seen both Austin Romine and Tony Sanchez multiple times this season.

Romine

Romine has flashed good power for a catcher and shown he can handle the lumber. He projects as a slightly above-average hitting catcher with 15-20 home run potential with the ability to hit to all fields. At times he can struggle with the off-speed pitch, as he tends to swing freely at the slower stuff, which is why pitchers have given him steady doses of breaking stuff early and often in counts. He's a quick learner, which allows him to adjust his next at-bat or even later in the same at-bat -- very impressive to see that from a 22-year-old.

His skills behind the plate are slightly behind his hitting ability, though. At 6-foot-0, 220 pounds, he's the size of a prototypical catcher, he handles the ball in the dirt well and his arm grades out as average. His potential to handle a big league staff is questionable at the moment. Romine definitely needs some refining with his receiving skills. More importantly, he'll need to improve his game-calling skills. That will come as he catches more innings and handles more experienced pitchers in the upper minors.

Romine is a couple years away and there may not be room for him on the Yankees, but he's a young catching prospect who shouldn't be forgotten. He will eventually give an organization reason to promote him to the major league level and compete for an everyday job.

http://projectprospect.com/article/2011/06...couting-reports

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 11:30 PM)
It'd be nice to put one more other piece in there (that is presumably a not top 100 prospect), but this is about the level of return I'd expect for Matty, given his contract status and his lack of ability to close.

That last post on the scouting report was encouraging.

Seems like Thornton, who two years ago was money, should bring more, though.

Or do we assume the Thornton we saw last year was the sign of things to come? A declining Thornton?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 07:41 PM)
That last post on the scouting report was encouraging.

Seems like Thornton, who two years ago was money, should bring more, though.

Or do we assume the Thornton we saw last year was the sign of things to come? A declining Thornton?

It's not that Thornton had a bad year last year, it just looks that way because Juan Pierre can't catch the ball.

But you're not going to get a huge return for him since he has a quite expensive contract.

So the prospect seems to be a catcher with strong offensive skills and lacking behind the plate. I'm so sick of having catchers like that. I want the reverse of that. I want a guy who has a cannon and accurate throwing arm and can block anything in the dirt, but won't crack .250 on a good year. I don't want a great offensive build your team around the guy type catcher. It's stupid to have that (see Posey, Buster and Mauer, Joe for details on why)

I would kill for a Kurt Suzuki-type behind the plate. Or Suzuki himself...

QUOTE (Cali @ Nov 18, 2011 -> 07:52 PM)
So the prospect seems to be a catcher with strong offensive skills and lacking behind the plate.

Strong offensive skills is a stretch. He might have that potential, but he's been rather average throughout his minor league career. Like I've said about Romine many times on this board, I don't get the hype. If he wasn't a Yankees' prospect I'd wager no one would know who he is.

Edited by DirtySox

Interesting rumor, I do believe KW would love to move Thornton. If the rumor is valid it has a big meaning, the sox and KW will actually try and have a rebuild year and if u are trading Thornton you are probably trading CQ, Danks, and Flloyd too. Which personally I am totally fine with. That being said Im checking with my MLBTraderumors.com guy to see if he can help validate.