Trade Adamn Dunn and Alex Rios

Quin

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 06:01 PM)
White Sox Give Up: Alex Rios

White Sox Get: Adam Dunn

White Sox Give Up: Adam Dunn

White Sox Get: Alex Rios

But seriously, what type of awesome package can we get for these guys.

I am not sure what we can get for them, but I think we should be actively shopping them

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I am not sure what we can get for them, but I think we should be actively shopping them

I assure you that they are being shopped. The problem is that nobody will take them, unless the Sox were willing to eat about $20 million on the Rios contract and about $30 million on Dunn's.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)

KW: "Hey, Brian. We are looking to move Dunn & Rios, any interest?"

Brian Cashman: "Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! That was a good one, Kenny!"

KW: "Hey, Kevin. We are looking to move Dunn & Rios, any interest?"

Kevin Towers: "Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! That was a good one, Kenny!"

KW: "Hey, Ruben. We are looking to move Dunn & Rios, any interest?"

Ruben Amaro: "Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! That was a good one, Kenny!"

The same call has happened with 26 other GMs I'm sure.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 11:19 AM)
I assure you that they are being shopped. The problem is that nobody will take them, unless the Sox were willing to eat about $20 million on the Rios contract and about $30 million on Dunn's.

Either that or take on a Barry Zito type of deal.

QUOTE (jasonxctf @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 02:30 PM)
can we include Peavy in that package?

Jake Peavy might have a 50/50 shot of being moveable this season. He comes out and has a good first month or two, and if the team is still in selling mode, and he's healthy, then you could move him and have to pick up very little of that contract.

Right now, the Sox would have to eat a good chunk of money to move him. Mid-season, we might be able to save the cash. May as well hold him and see if we can get something of value later...it's a sunk cost right now.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 04:50 PM)
Other players that could fall into that category, very unscientifically, include Vernon Wells, Chone Figgins, Johan Santana, Jason Werth, Carlos Lee, and Torri Hunter

I'd do it, only because no player has ever struck the fear of God in me when playing against them.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
The biggest reason he got put in there was because of the big surgery and his mediocrity in NY

That wasn't his point. He's still spooked, as am I, from whenever we faced the Twins and he was on the mound. I didn't even want to watch most of the time. And this is back when I was an optimist.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 05:34 PM)
The biggest reason he got put in there was because of the big surgery and his mediocrity in NY

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)
That wasn't his point. He's still spooked, as am I, from whenever we faced the Twins and he was on the mound. I didn't even want to watch most of the time. And this is back when I was an optimist.

This.

Next year, if both healthy, and I need to win one game, I'm going against Verlander instead of Johan.

That makes no sense other then I feared Johan. I was pessimistic with Verlander.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 05:38 PM)

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 05:54 PM)
This.

Next year, if both healthy, and I need to win one game, I'm going against Verlander instead of Johan.

That makes no sense other then I feared Johan. I was pessimistic with Verlander.

By that logic we shouldn't want to trade Dunn, because he was one of the prolific HR hitters for almost a decade.

In the case of trading Adam Dunn, I don't know if KW finds the modesty (or more importantly willing trade partners) to trade a free agent he signed just a year ago.

That's an incredible amount of pride to swallow for a gutsy, aggressive GM like KW. IMO I think Dunn starts to turn it around in 2012 and 2011 will just be an anomaly in his career.

Rios is the one that should be moved. And I think he'd be easier to move than Dunn.

I was pondering a Chone Figgins for Alex Rios swap.

Figgins has $26MM left on his contract (12:$9, 13:$8, 14:$9-vesting option)

Rios has $37MM left on his contract (12:$12, 13:$12.5, 14:$12.5)

Maybe a straight swap could work since Rios has performed better than Figgins lately, but I wouldn't care if a low A prospect is coupled with Alex to make the trade palatable.

Figgins starts at 3rd, De Aza takes CF, and Morel spends time developing in AAA.

QUOTE (pktmotion @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 07:55 PM)
In the case of trading Adam Dunn, I don't know if KW finds the modesty (or more importantly willing trade partners) to trade a free agent he signed just a year ago.

That's an incredible amount of pride to swallow for a gutsy, aggressive GM like KW. IMO I think Dunn starts to turn it around in 2012 and 2011 will just be an anomaly in his career.

Rios is the one that should be moved. And I think he'd be easier to move than Dunn.

I was pondering a Chone Figgins for Alex Rios swap.

Figgins has $26MM left on his contract (12:$9, 13:$8, 14:$9-vesting option)

Rios has $37MM left on his contract (12:$12, 13:$12.5, 14:$12.5)

Maybe a straight swap could work since Rios has performed better than Figgins lately, but I wouldn't care if a low A prospect is coupled with Alex to make the trade palatable.

Figgins starts at 3rd, De Aza takes CF, and Morel spends time developing in AAA.

Except why would Seattle need Rios? They literally have no use for him.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 20, 2011 -> 06:50 PM)
By that logic we shouldn't want to trade Dunn, because he was one of the prolific HR hitters for almost a decade.

Yes...you do know I'm not advocating trading him...right?

Also, no ones noticed the "Adamn" yet?

You guys who don't think we can trade Dunn and Rios, I have two words for you

VERNON WELLS

How much of his salary did Toronto eat? $5m of the $86 mill owed to him over 4 years.

Dunn has 3 years and is owed $44m

Rios has 3 years and is owed $37m

You do the math. Dunn and Rios have less risk in the form of years and the form of money.

The best thing we can hope for with those guys is a return to their average pre-2011 production. It is easier for me to believe it is a one year problem and will improve than to think both of them dropped so fast to non MLB level production.

This is not a good time or offseason to be a Sox fan.

Because of three unproductive zillionaires in Dunn, Rios and Peavy we can't keep Mark Buehrle.

It's obvious Mark is gone.

Why don't we just have a team of all unlikeable underachievers?

Last place is our destiny it appears.

When Mark signs somewhere else we ought to at least give Paulie a break and trade him to Arizona.