Instant Replay Expanded

ChiliIrishHammock24

Among a TON of new changes in the CBA (mostly draft related, and it's a lot), instant replay was also expanded.

Now, after the umpires confer, there will be reviews on fair/foul balls and "trap" plays.

As for what will happen to the runners on foul balls that are ruled fair, I have no idea, but here is my humble solution....

Just my opinion, but I think the runners should get 2 bases, the batter should get 1. I realize there are probably a lot of plays where the batter probably could have made 2nd base, but having a foul ball called fair and getting 1 base is better than having a foul ball called foul and getting no bases. The baserunners, however, almost always have an advantage running because of their leadoff and the fact that they are in a running position, not swinging a bat. Not perfect at all, but IMO it's a decent compromise.

Edited by JoeCoolMan24

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Nov 22, 2011 -> 03:49 PM)
Among a TON of new changes in the CBA (mostly draft related, and it's a lot), instant replay was also expanded.

Now, after the empire confer, there will be reviews on fair/foul balls and "trap" plays.

As for what will happen to the runners on foul balls that are ruled fair, I have no idea, but here is my humble solution....

Just my opinion, but I think the runners should get 2 bases, the batter should get 1. I realize there are probably a lot of plays where the batter probably could have made 2nd base, but having a foul ball called fair and getting 1 base is better than having a foul ball called foul and getting no bases. The baserunners, however, almost always have an advantage running because of their leadoff and the fact that they are in a running position, not swinging a bat. Not perfect at all, but IMO it's a decent compromise.

Conferring with the Empire is going to take FOREVER.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 12:31 AM)
This is going to be terrible if used in every situation (i.e. men on). Good luck reversing a trap/catch call with runners on. There's way too many variables to have a clear-cut rule. There's a reason some calls are irreversible as it is now.

Presumably this will only be applied sparingly at the umps discretion, in cases where they feel they need it, which should really just be a few games per year per team, and I'd rather have the umps have the option than stand around in a group saying "I saw nothing" and wishing they could look up at the jumbotron like everyone else in the park.

If this becomes an every other game thing then they're doing it wrong.