Syracuse Horror Story

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
But I also think the comparison between business and sports is very weak.

Probably true with ESPN, but I think that reporting for a large organization should come with some obligation to be morally and factually correct.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
it would be interesting if Financial Times had proof of Madoffs ponzi scheme 8 years prior to the scandal breaking and chose to do nothing with it.

The bottom line is that peoples lives have been affected, and the self riteous entity that is espn is pointing their fingers at McQueary/Curley/Paterno and at the same time saying "we didnt know what we should have done with it" about the Lauri Fine tape. It is bulls***

I totally get that. But it would be more like if Financial Times had a source saying that Madoff was doing that, with damning piece of evidence they couldn't verify, and then sat on that and found out later it was all correct.

They are being smug about it. But I don't think that if I was reporting the case and couldn't find it to be true, that my instinct would then be, well I should give it to the police if they weren't even investigating at the time. I would probably encourage them to use the police, however.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
I totally get that. But it would be more like if Financial Times had a source saying that Madoff was doing that, with damning piece of evidence they couldn't verify, and then sat on that and found out later it was all correct.

They are being smug about it. But I don't think that if I was reporting the case and couldn't find it to be true, that my instinct would then be, well I should give it to the police if they weren't even investigating at the time. I would probably encourage them to use the police, however.

One has to be veeeeery careful though. Because if the evidence turns out to be wrong...and it leaks (which it will, considering the high profile nature of the person's job)...you could be destroying a good person's reputation.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/03/justice/syra....html?hpt=hp_t3

Isnt that nice, Boeheim gets to clarify his statement a third time, and apologize for really realz now

"I believe I misspoke very badly in my response to the allegations that have been made. I shouldn't have questioned what the accusers expressed or their motives. I am really sorry that I did that, and I regret any harm that I caused," he told reporters after his basketball game Friday night. "It was insensitive for the individuals involved and especially to the overall issue of child abuse."

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 10:44 AM)
http://www.cnn.com/2011/12/03/justice/syra....html?hpt=hp_t3

Isnt that nice, Boeheim gets to clarify his statement a third time, and apologize for really realz now

For once, I kinda understand Boeheim here...if someone made that kind of allegation against a guy you've worked with and been friends with for decades, you're going to have a rapid, emotional response, and then if the case starts building there's going to be an "oh sh*t" moment every few days.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)
For once, I kinda understand Boeheim here...if someone made that kind of allegation against a guy you've worked with and been friends with for decades, you're going to have a rapid, emotional response, and then if the case starts building there's going to be an "oh sh*t" moment every few days.

Agreed. It's not like Paterno (that we know of just yet) where he has heard allegations in the past.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

If this was the second statement, I would understand. But this is his third attempt at sounding like a sympathetic human being, and I still think it looks like someone typed it up for him

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 11:36 AM)
Agreed. It's not like Paterno (that we know of just yet) where he has heard allegations in the past.

Allegedly.

EDIT: Meant that for Boeheim, not Paterno.

Edited by CanOfCorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...