Syracuse Horror Story

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 07:28 AM)
I didn't see it, I am only reading this excerpt. It sounds like he is saying he doesn't know of any, but realizes an investigation might show what happened while he was in charge. And investigating people that work under you is probably not his omost people's jobs. I keep thinking about people that I supervised and would I have known what they do in their off time.

A real world analogy to a head basketball coach just doesnt apply. These people are together 24/7/365. Recruiting, planning, coaching, games, practices. All the time. Plus, he has been with Fine for 36 years. Dont you think it would be odd to you that someone you know insisted that these kids room with them everytime you go on a road trip? Seems odd to me

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand the statement either. It just seems really odd...as if he knows something is going to be found which will show that he had absolutely no idea this was going on...except, I can't imagine what that might be.

I loved hearing Cowherd backtrack yesterday. For a full week, he ripped apart anyone who had any knowledge that a sex abuse crime against a minor might be occurring and did not report it...and now yesterday he is explaining to us how ESPN is not the police and ''do you know how hard it is to get the police to investigate something"?

It was truly ridiculous. The guy openly talks about how he talks for a living and argues for a living, and yet, his arguments are weak and flawed time and again.

Boeheim should be fired, as well as the AD and the Chancellor. Not because PSU did it, but because of lack of institutional control. Whether anyone believes in that or not, that's the issue. Whether Boeheim knew or not, isn't the issue, it's that it DID happen under his watch. And the AD. And ultimately, even if the AD and the Chancellor wasn't there at the beginning or even for the whole time, they are currently in charge and therefore need to go.

That is if the police decide there's enough to prosecute.

There's really no alternative.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:57 PM)
Boeheim should be fired for his attrocious media appearances. They've been insensitive and inappropriate.

This.

I don't necessarily believe he should be gone because of the accusations because the I think the situation is different than Paterno/PSU

BUT...as said above, his statements and reactions have been tremendously insensitive and pretty callous. He's handled this situation is a classless manner and as the face of a program (university?) he is not making a good case to be kept around.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:03 PM)
This.

I don't necessarily believe he should be gone because of the accusations because the I think the situation is different than Paterno/PSU

BUT...as said above, his statements and reactions have been tremendously insensitive and pretty callous. He's handled this situation is a classless manner and as the face of a program (university?) he is not making a good case to be kept around.

The University actually came out and said they were very pleased with what he said, which I found to be quite surprising.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 07:21 PM)
The University actually came out and said they were very pleased with what he said, which I found to be quite surprising.

I think they were referring to his remarks on sunday where he was contrite for implying that this accuser was doing it for the money. But then he comes out with his arrogance showcase last night.

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:23 PM)
I think they were referring to his remarks on sunday where he was contrite for implying that this accuser was doing it for the money. But then he comes out with his arrogance showcase last night.

Ahh, I think you're right. I was wondering what about his statements last night they found to be so outstanding.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:42 PM)
He also said "there are no charges", but there IS a taped phone call where the wife admits he did it!!

I'm a little uncomfortable with that recording. There are erased portions and who knows how it may have been edited. Not saying he didn't do it, or that it isn't necessarily not valid, but it isn't 100% reliable.

QUOTE (Tex @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 02:03 PM)
I'm a little uncomfortable with that recording. There are erased portions and who knows how it may have been edited. Not saying he didn't do it, or that it isn't necessarily not valid, but it isn't 100% reliable.

I agree that it could be edited and parts erased and things arranged to make it look more heinous than it would appear, but there are a lot of very direct statements and replies in that recording that are extremely specific about what she knows happened.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 04:28 PM)
I agree that it could be edited and parts erased and things arranged to make it look more heinous than it would appear, but there are a lot of very direct statements and replies in that recording that are extremely specific about what she knows happened.

Such as her statements about wanting the dick...it's pretty clear what was being discussed here.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
Such as her statements about wanting the dick...it's pretty clear what was being discussed here.

exactly, things like saying Bernie needed to get a gay boy and how he had something(an attraction specifically) for the victim. It is really hard to say that she was talking about anything but what Fine is being accused of.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)

Shack, what kinds of things do you like to do on the road, such as?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:34 PM)
it's pretty clear Such as her statements about wanting the dick... what was being discussed here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:43 PM)
exactly, things like saying (EDIT OUT: I'm not saying that's true, if it was) Bernie needs to get a gay boy and (I just don't see that as something he would want) how (Edited: If that was really true the) he had something(an attraction specifically) for the victim. It is really hard to say that she was talking about anything but what Fine is being accused of.

Again, I believe it is true, but there is doubt in my mind. I don't like accuser supplied evidence.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 05:40 AM)
My point is accuser supplied evidence is always suspect. Switch around the questions from what was actually asked, drop a few words here and there, and it can say something completely different.

If it was merely a written transcript, sure. Did you listen to the call? I doubt even a movie sound editor could have put that together much less a former ball boy

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 07:19 AM)
If it was merely a written transcript, sure. Did you listen to the call? I doubt even a movie sound editor could have put that together much less a former ball boy

Actually it is fairly simple now. The audio editing programs out there are pretty amazing.

Just download a copy of Audacity, a free program and any sound file. Cut and pasting just like text. Super easy. I was a former golf course janitor and can edit audio files without any problem at all. Anyone who can use a computer can do it. It's even easier than Photoshop. So if a pictuire can be manipulated that easily, imagine what can happen with a sound file.

Again, I am more inclined to believe it, but accuser supplied evidence, of a third party conversation, just doesn't impress me. They will need more than that to get a conviction.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Just download a copy of Audacity, a free program and any sound file. Cut and pasting just like text. Super easy. I was a former golf course janitor and can edit audio files without any problem at all. Anyone who can use a computer can do it.

Come on, Tex...it's not that easy...the conversation flows perfectly on the tape...this isn't like a bunch of random sentences placed together and recorded.

Will you please just go listen to it before you insist on this editing angle?

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:24 AM)
Come on, Tex...it's not that easy...the conversation flows perfectly on the tape...this isn't like a bunch of random sentences placed together and recorded.

Will you please just go listen to it before you insist on this editing angle?

I did listen to it. Will you edit a sound file to see how easy it is to do? It is easier than Photoshop by about 500%. Not even close.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:26 AM)
I did listen to it. Will you edit a sound file to see how easy it is to do? It is easier than Photoshop by about 500%. Not even close.

So you're saying this guy edited this tape in 2003, before he gave it to ESPN?

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
Just download a copy of Audacity, a free program and any sound file. Cut and pasting just like text. Super easy. I was a former golf course janitor and can edit audio files without any problem at all. Anyone who can use a computer can do it. It's even easier than Photoshop. So if a pictuire can be manipulated that easily, imagine what can happen with a sound file.

Again, I am more inclined to believe it, but accuser supplied evidence, of a third party conversation, just doesn't impress me. They will need more than that to get a conviction.

There are ones that utilize 3 or more sound tracks pasted on top of each other, which really cuts down on the background distractions that you would get from a single track voice cut and paste.

I'm not saying it was or wasn't done, I'm just disputing the idea that it would be obvious if it was done.

With a 6 year old and 4 year old, I don't have the stomach to pay attention to the details in these cases.