Sox have not talked to Danks about extension this winter

southsider2k5

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

White Sox in no hurry to lock in Danks

November, 28, 2011

Nov 28

By Doug Padilla

CHICAGO – If the White Sox do consider John Danks a big part of their future, they aren’t in a hurry to get the left-hander locked in beyond the 2012 season.

A source with knowledge of club’s contract negotiations said the White Sox have made no overtures to Danks’ agent regarding a long-term contract.

Danks is eligible for salary arbitration one more season and will then be eligible for free agency in 2013. Danks could make somewhere between $7 million and $8 million next season in arbitration.

There have been rumors that the White Sox would consider trading Danks, but if Mark Buehrle leaves via free agency that would leave the rotation without two key starters.

The White Sox could also be willing to retain Danks on another one-year contract and work on a long-term deal during spring training. The club typically doesn’t negotiate deals during the season, so if Danks isn’t locked in by Opening Day, he could end up hitting the open market in 2013.

The key to the whole scenario could be the Carlos Quentin situation. While the White Sox could still have some hesitation about trading Danks, they are rumored to be more willing to deal Quentin since Dayan Viciedo is prepared to take over in right field.

If a Quentin deal could return a young starter who has plenty of upside and is ready to make an impact on a major-league rotation quickly, it could lead the White Sox to trading a guy like Gavin Floyd or even Danks.

Between Danks and Floyd, it is Danks who figures to get the most talent in return. But Danks leaves them with at least one veteran lefty if Buehrle leaves.

As of early last week, general manager Kenny Williams said that player personnel activity was slow but he expected that to pick up after the Thanksgiving holiday.

Williams has said his players are popular among teams willing to make a trade this offseason, but apparently there hasn’t been an offer that has moved the White Sox toward making a deal.

With the winter meetings in Dallas just one week away and teams about to get serious about their rosters for next season, the White Sox will see if those trade offers get any more enticing.

Don't talk to him about an extension. The guy had absolutely no interest in extending for years, as his mouth was watering at the huge payday awaiting him once he hit free agency. Now that he's basically proven that he'll never live up to that "ace" potential, and even took a step back, he'd probably be willing to negotiate. But f*** him. Trade him for the best package possible.

No trades, signings, or extensions are going to happen with any pitchers until Buehrle signs somewhere.

I can't see a 2012 with Mark on it, as much as I would like.. The $ and the shape of this team, doesn't allow it. As for Danks.. I don't see him either being a White Sox. As much as kenny talks, I can't see JR singing off on a 110+ payroll again.

Edited by VictoryMC98

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/white-sox/..._medium=twitter

CHICAGO -- The Chicago White Sox haven't made a long-term contract offer to starter John Danks very recently because they were rebuffed after multiple attempts not that long ago, a source told ESPNChicago.com on Thursday.

The stalemate in negotiations has increased the possibility that Danks could be traded, but indications are that that White Sox have not lost complete faith that a deal could be worked out with their left-hander.

With the possibility that Mark Buehrle will sign elsewhere and the sense that Danks is being aimed toward free agency next winter (he has one more year of arbitration remaining), the White Sox are keen on establishing some roster certainty moving forward.

General manager Kenny Williams said that some of his players have drawn considerable interest from other clubs, and Danks is believed to be somebody high on that list.

Danks could get between $7 million and $8 million on a one-year deal through arbitration this offseason. With a Buehrle about to make up to $14 million a season on the free-agent market, a pitcher with Danks' ability and experience at half the price would be considered a steal.

Because it's not a deep free-agent class for starting pitching this offseason, Danks could wind up pulling in an impressive package of players in a trade, including a starting pitcher with tons of upside. By trading Carlos Quentin, to free up right field for Dayan Viciedo, the White Sox could land another haul of impressive young talent.

Williams gave indications at the general manager's meetings last month that the White Sox have a tentative plan to go young in some areas but had not yet committed to a direction for the offseason.

Call it a mini youth movement, though, since Paul Konerko isn't expected to be moved, and Adam Dunn and Alex Rios are just about impossible to move unless the White Sox eat a major portion of their contracts. A.J. Pierzynski is under contract for one more season and has the right to block a trade.

Williams has long valued pitching in both the draft and in trades, but other needs include highly regarded second base and third base prospects, in case Gordon Beckham and Brent Morel don't develop as planned.

Doug Padilla covers the White Sox for ESPNChicago.com.

Think about this:

It's likley that Mark is gone, and plausible that both Danks and Floyd are gone. If Peavy isn't healthy, Phil Humber could be our opening day starter. Ha

Peavy

Humber

Sale

Stewart

Axelrod

Now THAT, my friends, is a proper AL Central pitching rotation.

Edited by Eminor3rd

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:17 PM)
Think about this:

It's likley that Mark is gone, and plausible that both Danks and Floyd are gone. If Peavy isn't healthy, Phil Humber could be our opening day starter. Ha

Peavy

Humber

Sale

Stewart

Axelrod

Now THAT, my friends, is a proper AL Central pitching rotation.

Sweet jesus. 100 losses, easy. Though I doubt Floyd and Danks will be traded.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
Sweet jesus. 100 losses, easy. Though I doubt Floyd and Danks will be traded.

You're right, it's more likely that one will go and the other will stay. I'd guess Floyd stays, but who knows. Do you give Gavin the opening day start over Peavy?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:52 PM)
You're right, it's more likely that one will go and the other will stay. I'd guess Floyd stays, but who knows. Do you give Gavin the opening day start over Peavy?

Of course. Pitchers on the DL aren't eligible to start opening day.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:15 PM)
Plus, f*** Jake Peavy. The guy can't stay healthy for us and has contributed far less than Floyd. If he or anyone else thinks he deserves an opening day start, they can blow me.

I'd say it would be less of an issue of 'deserves,' and much more about who would give us the best chance to win. With no Buerhle or Danks, (the mythical) healthy Peavy is probably our best pitcher.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:29 PM)
I'd say it would be less of an issue of 'deserves,' and much more about who would give us the best chance to win. With no Buerhle or Danks, (the mythical) healthy Peavy is probably our best pitcher.

Gavin Floyd has been a better pitcher for this team. He'd deserve it.