Sox trying to move Thornton

southsider2k5

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 08:51 AM)
Is anyone concerned that if they move Thorton, that leaves Will Ohman as the only LH in the pen? Not that I am against moving that bloated contract, just don't know if I trust Ohman all that much.

The Sox have Charlie Leesman and Donnie Veal. Not saying that should make you feel comfortable but those are options. I think if you can get a high upside arm or prospect for Thornton and save the cash you do it. The Sox are probably headed into a rebuilding mode and once you do that you need to start moving what you can and collect talent.

The Sox have Charlie Leesman and Donnie Veal. Not saying that should make you feel comfortable but those are options. I think if you can get a high upside arm or prospect for Thornton and save the cash you do it. The Sox are probably headed into a rebuilding mode and once you do that you need to start moving what you can and collect talent.

I think that is my confusion, one day the Sox are rebuilding, the next they are going all in part duex, until they make a move I guess we all are sitting here waiting.

As for the two guys, I know nothing about them, and I don't know in recent (11 years) how much I trust any arm that comes up through the Sox system. But, it is good to know that Ohman isn't the only option sitting there.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:20 AM)
I think that is my confusion, one day the Sox are rebuilding, the next they are going all in part duex, until they make a move I guess we all are sitting here waiting.

As for the two guys, I know nothing about them, and I don't know in recent (11 years) how much I trust any arm that comes up through the Sox system. But, it is good to know that Ohman isn't the only option sitting there.

Exactly. No one really knows what the Sox are doing at this point. Until they make a move we won't know and to be frank, moving Thornton isn't an indication. Ultimately it comes down to what they do with Danks/Floyd. If they move those guys, odds are it signals a rebuild and it means Thornton and Quentin will also be dealt. It also probably means Konerko would be out there door in time too (assuming he'd accept a trade). It is really unfortunate but this team is really handcuffed as a result of Peavy/Rios/Dunn.

And the big question is whether JR is willing to keep payroll at the level it is to give it another go with the assumption that those guys step up. If they do, great, you are a playoff team, if you don't, well you just lost another 15 or 20 million and wasted another year where you could have potentially started your rebuilding process.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 08:17 AM)
Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

White Sox have been trying to move reliever Matt Thornton (owed two years,$12 m.) since July, sources say, and are still trying to move him.

I was told by many here that there would be a line of suitors for Thornton. What gives?

QUOTE (flavum @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
If the Sox are actively trying to move Thornton, Danks, and Floyd, they don't think they can win next year.

If they're doing it to try to find money for Buehrle, they're beyond stupid. I don't think that's the case, but I wouldn't put anything past Reinsdorf.

Agreed. This team isn't magically getting better by dumping their tradeable assets merely to resign MB. I see it as a lateral move at best. I fear this is indeed the goal though, and I also fear it will continue to leave the organization in between. Not bad, but not good either.

I'm not sure why Mark would want to return if this is the case.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:27 AM)
I was told by many here that there would be a line of suitors for Thornton. What gives?

I think there are a lot of teams interested in Thornton. The key is the Sox haven't decided what they are doing quite yet. I think if they see room to add to the team via trades and contend, they do that. If they don't see that out there and instead see strong deals for their existing assets, they rebuild. Ultimately though, the Sox are probably looking for a big haul for Thornton or at least holding out for it.

That is my hope. The question is will Kenny deliver. I know one thing, when the Sox deal Floyd, I'm going to be bummed. I freaking love that dude.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:29 AM)
Agreed. This team isn't magically getting better by dumping their tradeable assets merely to resign MB. I see it as a lateral move at best. I fear this is indeed the goal though, and I also fear it will continue to leave the organization in between. Not bad, but not good either.

I'm not sure why Mark would want to return if this is the case.

Barring the Sox getting the green light to spend some money, the best move would be to clean house. I suppose if you get the right packages for Danks/Floyd, you could resign Buehrle and count on other guys, but man, that just seems like an in-between move that ultimately hinders the club.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)

They could obviously move him if it was just an issue of trading him and getting him off the books. The question is what do they want for him?

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:29 AM)

I'm not sure why Mark would want to return if this is the case either.

Buehrle fills a need in rebuilding though. He'd suck up innings.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:14 AM)

Don't forget Hector Santiago. Although, they may want to continue to develop him as a starter.

I get the feeling they are still trying to clear some salary to make a run at Buehrle. If they can clear Thornton from the books, it should give them the cash to do it. I would then expect Danks, and Quentin traded. Hopefully, stocked with some new young starting pitching prospects. The Sox strength right now may be bullpen arms. If they are rebuilding or retooling, whatever you want to call it, getting a decent prospect and clearing $6 mill per year for the next two years, is a good start.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:32 AM)
Buehrle fills a need in rebuilding though. He'd suck up innings.

Perhaps. I'm not all that interested in who's sucking up innings during a rebuild period though. I think I'd rather see cheap retreads or prospects taking their lumps.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 05:51 PM)
Is anyone concerned that if they move Thorton, that leaves Will Ohman as the only LH in the pen? Not that I am against moving that bloated contract, just don't know if I trust Ohman all that much.

Yes I am too, plus ths idea of Matt being traded to just dump salary and/or get some class A prospect is very shortsighted. Matt is one of the premier left handed set up men in the game. He is prime trade bait and if we do move him we should get a good return. But, I would rather see Frasor or Ohman be the trade bait.

QUOTE (shakes @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:39 PM)
Don't forget Hector Santiago. Although, they may want to continue to develop him as a starter.

I get the feeling they are still trying to clear some salary to make a run at Buehrle. If they can clear Thornton from the books, it should give them the cash to do it. I would then expect Danks, and Quentin traded. Hopefully, stocked with some new young starting pitching prospects. The Sox strength right now may be bullpen arms. If they are rebuilding or retooling, whatever you want to call it, getting a decent prospect and clearing $6 mill per year for the next two years, is a good start.

I think w have already cleared some salary to make a run for Mark B. Question is does KW really want him back?

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:51 AM)
Yes I am too, plus ths idea of Matt being traded to just dump salary and/or get some class A prospect is very shortsighted. Matt is one of the premier left handed set up men in the game. He is prime trade bait and if we do move him we should get a good return. But, I would rather see Frasor or Ohman be the trade bait.

notagain.jpg

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)
I think w have already cleared some salary to make a run for Mark B. Question is does KW really want him back?

Well, you being totally against trading anybody not named Adam Dunn or Alex Rios, makes it impossible for the Sox to resign Mark and shed any meaningful salary for '12.

Edited by Jordan4life

Exactly. No one really knows what the Sox are doing at this point. Until they make a move we won't know and to be frank, moving Thornton isn't an indication. Ultimately it comes down to what they do with Danks/Floyd. If they move those guys, odds are it signals a rebuild and it means Thornton and Quentin will also be dealt. It also probably means Konerko would be out there door in time too (assuming he'd accept a trade). It is really unfortunate but this team is really handcuffed as a result of Peavy/Rios/Dunn.

And the big question is whether JR is willing to keep payroll at the level it is to give it another go with the assumption that those guys step up. If they do, great, you are a playoff team, if you don't, well you just lost another 15 or 20 million and wasted another year where you could have potentially started your rebuilding process.

IMO, you don't go into rebuilding mode with just letting go of your manager, you start from the top down, as the Cubs, Astros, and a few other teams have done. I think JR is still thinking Mark and Paulie can bring him another title and is either to stubborn or stupid to realize it won't. And we the fans get to suffer. Even if they go to rebuilding, I can't see Paulie being let go, he is JR fav, I would be very shocked not to see Paulie retire a White Sox and then if JR is still alive and kicking given a front office job.

And I agree, Thorton move one way or the other doesn't mean sqaut.

The picture emerging is of every asset not named Konerko or Ramirez being available. Which means paulie is probably available too.

If its going to happen, no half measures. If you deal one piece, look to 2014 and move anyone you can't keep until then, and anyone else you get a great offer for.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 12:05 PM)
The picture emerging is of every asset not named Konerko or Ramirez being available. Which means paulie is probably available too.

If its going to happen, no half measures. If you deal one piece, look to 2014 and move anyone you can't keep until then, and anyone else you get a great offer for.

Breaking-Bad-Season-3-Mike-breaking-bad-