Sox trying to move Thornton

southsider2k5

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:49 PM)
I can't see him being worth this much realistically...he's a valuable player, but he's not someone that puts up huge offensive numbers, nor is he someone that fans are really all that aware of. I could see him bringing back a few nice prospects, but nothing like the haul the Rockies got for UJ...

Then it would be silly to deal him. We don't need to move him for money reasons or to clear space for another prospect. The only real reason to move him is that the deal makes us significantly better long term, and that means you need an absolute load to make the move.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (WHITESOXRANDY @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 04:42 PM)
1. Thornton could absolutely bring a nice return - if Kenny is patient. That is the whole key and the whole question. He's never been patient in the past.

The best trade returns come as the FA signings near then end and the left out teams become desperate. As far as Thornton goes the Sox are in a great position because the Yanks are in dire need of someone just like him and the Red Sox need any kind of good pitching. Also, prices for relievers has been going up so much so that Thornton's contract is not prohibitive at all.

2. A blind man can see that the Sox need to rebuild. Would they do a complete rebuild job ? I don't believe it for a second. I don't think that there is any way that KW or JR has the patience for it or the balls to say to the fan base that we plan to compete again in 2 or 3 years.

Expect a half-ass gutting and a few additions meant for 2012 so management can say come out to the ballpark because we can win in 2012. KW said " we are looking for ML ready talent". He didn't say "the best prospects".

He has been sitting on Matt for four months now. I'd call that being patient.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 09:00 PM)
I love how all of this stuff is coming out in the media now, the team has been wokring on this stuff for months

I get the sense that the local beat reporters just aren't that in-tune with what's going on. Maybe the Sox are doing a nice job of keeping things quiet, but it sure didn't seem like a huge secret that Thornton was going to be shopped this offseason.

QUOTE (BaseballNick @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
I get the sense that the local beat reporters just aren't that in-tune with what's going on. Maybe the Sox are doing a nice job of keeping things quiet, but it sure didn't seem like a huge secret that Thornton was going to be shopped this offseason.

I have yet to see anything on the Sox side that would qualify as a "surprise"

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 01:44 AM)
Are you just never around when KW and Jerry say they have to scale back payroll next year? They failed miserably in '11, lost a lot of money, and are not spending another $127 million on this same product. Like I said, $90-$94 million in guaranteed money (not sure of the exact number) WITHOUT Buehrle, Danks and CQ. Pierre, Castro and Omar made s*** last year. That's not going to make a shred of difference.

Have it your way. I have been around long enough to know what to believe and not believe. If it happens ok, but be prepared for several years of second division ball. Now if you want to truly shed payroll you get rid of the high priced non-performers. Suck it up!

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)
Have it your way. I have been around long enough to know what to believe and not believe. If it happens ok, but be prepared for several years of second division ball. Now if you want to truly shed payroll you get rid of the high priced non-performers. Suck it up!

Apparently you haven't been around long enough for common sense to set it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:58 AM)

No one.

Wants.

High priced non-performers.

So you can't trade them.

You can't.

Trade them.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 06:30 PM)
Apparently you haven't been around long enough for common sense to set it.

I know Mr Milkman only you have common sense. ;) Well, you and a few others that share your feelings. If you want to make things personal then tell me something that has been suggested that isn't "common sense?" Anything you say and I say are opinions and only opinions. You have a knack for making comments that seem like atatcks on others who you disagree with. You would not do well in a debate. If the high priced non performer is dragging the team down then you get rid of them. Try to get something for them, or release them. You don't keep them on the team where they strangle you. I hoe these charactters meaning Rios and Dunn can turn things around in 2012. If not we had better be looking at some plan.

Edited by elrockinMT

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)
I know Mr Milkman only you have common sense. ;) Well, you and a few others that share your feelings. If you want to make things personal then tell me something that has been suggested that isn't "common sense?" Anything you say and I say are opinions and only opinions. You have a knack for making comments that seem like atatcks on others who you disagree with. You would not do well in a debate. If the high priced non performer is dragging the team down then you get rid of them. Try to get something for them, or release them. You don't keep them on the team where they strangle you. I hoe these charactters meaning Rios and Dunn can turn things around in 2012. If not we had better be looking at some plan.

It's not that easy, and you seem to be the only person that doesn't grasp that. It's maddening.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 12:58 PM)

Who do you propose will take these high paid nonperformers off our hands? And how? And why?

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:17 PM)
Who do you propose will take these high paid nonperformers off our hands? And how? And why?

The question that I am sure KW is struggling with is do you wait to see what they do in 2012? If they aren't performing I would argue that putting them on waivers in hopes someone makes the same move KW did with Rios might work. Or you start going through the team list offering them up in a trade. You might have to eat half the salary, but it's still only 50% of what you wil be paying to keep them on the team.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 08:12 PM)
It's not that easy, and you seem to be the only person that doesn't grasp that. It's maddening.

You are saying that it hasn't been done before? What I find maddening is the fact folks seem to just accept that we have to accept it.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
The question that I am sure KW is struggling with is do you wait to see what they do in 2012? If they aren't performing I would argue that putting them on waivers in hopes someone makes the same move KW did with Rios might work. Or you start going through the team list offering them up in a trade. You might have to eat half the salary, but it's still only 50% of what you wil be paying to keep them on the team.

Won't happen, as KW showed it's a bad gamble.

Try again.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 02:19 PM)
You are saying that it hasn't been done before? What I find maddening is the fact folks seem to just accept that we have to accept it.

I can't think of a situation where a GM has been able to trade that big of contracts when the players have performed as poorly as Dunn and Rios did last year. The only way I can think of it happening is by getting just as bad of a contract back. So unless you are interested say Barry Zito or Chone Figgins, it isn't going to happen.

That's simple

Alex Rios to PittsBurgh for McCutchen and Jameson Taillon

Jake Peavy to Rays for Jeremy Hellickson and Desmond Jennings

Adam Dunn to royals for Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain

Gordon Beckham to the Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie

All our problems are solved! :gosoxretro:

Edited by VictoryMC98

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:48 PM)
That's simple

Alex Rios to PittsBurgh for McCutchen and Jameson Taillon

Jake Peavy to Rays for Jeremy Hellickson and Desmond Jennings

Adam Dunn to royals for Eric Hosmer and Lorenzo Cain

Gordon Beckham to the Blue Jays for Brett Lawrie

All our problems are solved! :gosoxretro:

I like this new Victory.

Also, from Grantland.

What They'll Likely Do: Make a hell of a lot of trades. Few GMs have been more aggressive in reshaping their ball clubs over the past few years than Kenny Williams. Rumors out of the South Side have him shopping one of his top starters (John Danks or Gavin Floyd) despite Buehrle's likely departure, while also dangling slugging right fielder and solid lefty setup man Matt Thornton.

:lol: