Sox getting calls on Santos

southsider2k5

What is Sergio's value in a trade? Pros: contract, team will control him cheaply for numerous years, dominant closer. Cons: He's just a reliever when it's all said and done. Though call me crazy or whatever, I'd rather have Sergio closing for my team than Papelbon

So what's his value (What could the Sox get back, best case scenario)? Top 25 prospect? Nothing close to that? Better than that?

I'd 'entertain' offers until the winter meetings, let every team know he's available and try to get teams into a bidding war

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Real @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
What is Sergio's value in a trade? Pros: contract, team will control him cheaply for numerous years, dominant closer. Cons: He's just a reliever when it's all said and done. Though call me crazy or whatever, I'd rather have Sergio closing for my team than Papelbon

So what's his value (What could the Sox get back, best case scenario)? Top 25 prospect? Nothing close to that? Better than that?

I'd 'entertain' offers until the winter meetings, let every team know he's available and try to get teams into a bidding war

2 legit top prospects plus some filler, and either 1 of those prospects is top 25ish or both are top 50ish. Otherwise there's no reason to move him.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:08 PM)
No one is taking Rios. Especially with Danks, that's a $21 million commitment, and moving rios with santos means you can't send them to any small market team.

Roos stays and plays until he retires or he plays well enough that he can be moved at no cost. Just accept it.

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
You can have Santos if you take Rios and his whole contract...deal?

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 12:25 PM)
You can have Santos if you take Rios and his whole contract...deal?

The scary thing is that Rios+ Santos is just over the cost of a top flight closer now, and by the time Rios goes off of the books, is when Sanos's more expensive option years start showing up. I wouldn't be shocked if a team could be interested at that point, if the cost was next to nothing in terms of prospects.

QUOTE (Real @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 02:13 PM)

Well I'd say the value is pretty high considering the article mentioned last year the Twins and Nats almost did a Storen, who wasnt even the nats closer and had slightly worse stats than sergio, for Span, who the 2 previous years was a damn good player swap.

So major league talent can be had using that as a template...

as for those talking about not trading him cause it looks bad since we just signed him....when did he sign that contract??

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 12:32 PM)
Well I'd say the value is pretty high considering the article mentioned last year the Twins and Nats almost did a Storen, who wasnt even the nats closer and had slightly worse stats than sergio, for Span, who the 2 previous years was a damn good player swap.

So major league talent can be had using that as a template...

as for those talking about not trading him cause it looks bad since we just signed him....when did he sign that contract??

About two months ago.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:02 PM)
well then that does look kinda bad.

I hate to keep referring to this specific incident. But KW did look Gio Gonzalez in the eyes and promised him that he wasn't going anywhere after reacquiring from the Phillies. I seriously doubt he'd be worried about a potential backlash from trading Sergio, even after the recent extension.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:13 PM)
I hate to keep referring to this specific incident. But KW did look Gio Gonzalez in the eyes and promised him that he wasn't going anywhere after reacquiring from the Phillies. I seriously doubt he'd be worried about a potential backlash from trading Sergio, even after the recent extension.

Those two things aren't close really. You are talking about a guy who just gave you a cheap six year extension, versus a minor leaguer. Those things are going to be viewed very differently by people outside of the organization who might want to come here.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
Those two things aren't close really. You are talking about a guy who just gave you a cheap six year extension, versus a minor leaguer. Those things are going to be viewed very differently by people outside of the organization who might want to come here.

Point is KW is going to do what he thinks, for better or worse, is good for the franchise. If a deal presented itself this year or next that he deemed appropriate, Santos is gone.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:15 AM)

The one thing I'd point out is that he did sign the contract too. I don't think Sergio's sole purpose of signing was to give the "White Sox" a good deal. It was also to guarantee himself financial stability for life. I think when a guy takes a serious home town discount, that is another story. For example, had Paulie taken a big discount and a month after we went to trade him (and got his permission) it wouldn't look good.

In this case, a year later and if we go into a rebuilding mode, working with Paulie to ensure his happiness probably ends up being good PR.

I doubt very much the Sox would deal him now. It would be a dumb move almost certainly. It would make much more sense to deal Thornton and Crain first. Just like KC with Soria, the Sox could deal Santos anytime in the next 3 years and get a nice return.

Of course it makes sense to trade any player if you are offered enough.

If Reed proves to be closer material and the Sox are bombing by July it might be a nice idea.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 10:29 AM)
Meh. Same thing to me. But I will concede that there is a distinct difference between "getting" calls and "taking" calls. For some reason, when I initially read the thread title, I saw it as the latter. So sorry, Marty, gotta take back my "vindication" prop. I know that means so much to you.

I am all about vindication. Don't back down J4L, you're right of course this vindicates me.

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)

Deal him while his value is THIS high. 29 year-old closers who have devasting sliders don't normally have long shelf lives.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 05:56 PM)
Deal him while his value is THIS high. 29 year-old closers who have devasting sliders don't normally have long shelf lives.

His pitching arm is only like, three years old though. He should be injury-free with his slider for a least a few years longer than the average slider-throwing RP.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 02:46 PM)
The one thing I'd point out is that he did sign the contract too. I don't think Sergio's sole purpose of signing was to give the "White Sox" a good deal. It was also to guarantee himself financial stability for life. I think when a guy takes a serious home town discount, that is another story. For example, had Paulie taken a big discount and a month after we went to trade him (and got his permission) it wouldn't look good.

In this case, a year later and if we go into a rebuilding mode, working with Paulie to ensure his happiness probably ends up being good PR.

Right on. The Sox didn't have to lock him in for 3 years either. He was a flop of a baseball player up until last year. This contract was the best for each party. There was no chance the Sox would have locked him in for 3 years at anything near market value. And there was no way Sergio, at age 29 and not having earned life securing money, was going to go year to year (if given the choice).

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 05:01 PM)
His pitching arm is only like, three years old though. He should be injury-free with his slider for a least a few years longer than the average slider-throwing RP.

Point about his arm not having mileage on it. I just think that as empty as the Sox farm system is, it'd be best to cash in the Santos chips now rather than later.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 11:20 AM)
I agree. At 29 and with this contract he is incredibly valuable. If a small market contender or heck, any contender, was in need of a closer, the Sox would be foolish not to listen. But the asking price starts at 2 top 50 prospects plus a 3rd prospect whose a top 150 or so prospect. Its a steep asking price but given the financially friendly deal and his talent, it only makes sense. From the Sox perspective, it gives you more talent, which we ultimately need.

If they plan on trading Danks and Floyd, this team is going to have to rebuild so they might as well move almost anyone who is not going be able to contribute 3 to 4 years down the road (since at a minimum you are talking about a 3 to 4 year rebuilding period if you move Danks/Floyd for spects).

Agreed, if the Sox do end up moving Danks and/or Floyd and lose Buerhle, what's the point in keeping Santos on a team that would be challenged to win 70 games? Try and load up with as many young prospects as possible.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Nov 29, 2011 -> 06:40 PM)
Agreed, if the Sox do end up moving Danks and/or Floyd and lose Buerhle, what's the point in keeping Santos on a team that would be challenged to win 70 games? Try and load up with as many young prospects as possible.

So you want to trade a once prospect who has had some success for more prospects? This logic baffles me.