Rosenthal: "Danks will go"

southsider2k5

The worst case scenario for Danks is to hold onto him and then lose him to FA after 2012. I really don't think that will happen, but stranger things have happened. I hope he is either traded for a decent haul now or is signed to a reasonable extention. By reasonable, I wouldn't want to see the Sox spend more than $13-$14 million per on him...essentially what they might pay for Buehrle. If the Sox are truly leaning towards a re-tooling year in 2012, I wouldn't expect Danks or Buehrle back.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 10:08 AM)
not surprising. this is a rebuild whether or not anyone wants to admit it.

Agreed. They may not use that word, and they may tell us that if Adam Dunn and Alex Rios have good years in 2012, things will be fine, but now is the time to rebuild the farm system and start the process of retooling this team. I love Danks, and I wouldn't be upset if they signed him to a long-term deal, but he is probably their best trading asset and it may be too hard to pass up on the potential they receive in return.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
The worst case scenario for Danks is to hold onto him and then lose him to FA after 2012. I really don't think that will happen, but stranger things have happened. I hope he is either traded for a decent haul now or is signed to a reasonable extention. By reasonable, I wouldn't want to see the Sox spend more than $13-$14 million per on him...essentially what they might pay for Buehrle. If the Sox are truly leaning towards a re-tooling year in 2012, I wouldn't expect Danks or Buehrle back.

An extension for Danks would probably cost $15M per or higher, and for 5 years or more. I am not sure I'd want the Sox to pay him that much for that long.

I agree on the last sentence though, if Danks and Buehrle are both gone, that probably means a serious rebuild.

QUOTE (2nd_city_saint787 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
Yonder Alonso(his prospect ranking has gone down i believe so would hat make him formerly heralded?) and Bill Bray?? :pray

For what its worth, and probably not alot, I ran into a friend of mine who writes a sports column for the Columbus Dispatch prior to the OSU/Duke B-ball game and we got to talking baseball. This was just bar talk and by no means is meant to be a pending trade or anything like that, but he told me the Sox and Reds have discussed multiple deals involving the following names:

The usual suspects from the Sox side, Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton.

From the Reds side: Alonso, whichever catcher the like least of Mesoraco/Grandal although the Reds like them both, SP Homer Bailey, LHP Donnie Jones, Drew Stubbs. Said prospects 2B/SS Billy Hamilton, an OF named Rodriguez, SS Cozart, and 3B Francisco were pretty much untouchable. Doubts they trade Votto or Bruce because they think they can win this year. Nothing earth shattering, just thought I'd pass it on.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 07:34 AM)
Honestly. I think a lot of people here are going to be disappointed with the returns the Sox get in deals.

that's an understatement. It's tough to remember many people liking any of KW's trades. Even the ones that work out in the long run.

If they go into the 2012 season with a franchise belief of something like "If Dunn and Rios bounce back, we'll be right in contention", they will fail miserably. Dunn and Rios are both guys that can only perform when there is no pressure. Being on a contending team will almost certainly prevent them from producing by itself. If you're putting the pressure of competing on their performances alone, we'll see repeats of 2011.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:08 AM)
For what its worth, and probably not alot, I ran into a friend of mine who writes a sports column for the Columbus Dispatch prior to the OSU/Duke B-ball game and we got to talking baseball. This was just bar talk and by no means is meant to be a pending trade or anything like that, but he told me the Sox and Reds have discussed multiple deals involving the following names:

The usual suspects from the Sox side, Danks, Floyd, Quentin, and Thornton.

From the Reds side: Alonso, whichever catcher the like least of Mesoraco/Grandal although the Reds like them both, SP Homer Bailey, LHP Donnie Jones, Drew Stubbs. Said prospects 2B/SS Billy Hamilton, an OF named Rodriguez, SS Cozart, and 3B Francisco were pretty much untouchable. Doubts they trade Votto or Bruce because they think they can win this year. Nothing earth shattering, just thought I'd pass it on.

I'd much rather have Grandal than Alonso, even though KW probably prefers Alonso because he's ML ready. I don't think we have any place to put him though. Maybe LF? Alonso/De Aza/Vicedo would work I guess, if you bench Rios.

But Grandal, a switch-hitting, power-hitting C with a solid throwing arm that is a year or two away -- sign me up. Gives Flowers time to make or break, and then we dump one or the other for pitching in 2013.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I'd much rather have Grandal than Alonso, even though KW probably prefers Alonso because he's ML ready. I don't think we have any place to put him though. Maybe LF? Alonso/De Aza/Vicedo would work I guess, if you bench Rios.

But Grandal, a switch-hitting, power-hitting C with a solid throwing arm that is a year or two away -- sign me up. Gives Flowers time to make or break, and then we dump one or the other for pitching in 2013.

I've been trumpeting Grandal since last season. Especially since Mesoraco is MLB ready and at this point a better prospect. Let's not forget that the Sox were in on Yasmani, and might have drafted him if the Reds didn't pop him 1 pick before them.

Edited by DirtySox

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 06:06 AM)
do you trust ken williams with this decision?

i don't.

while kw's made his share of bad deals (particularly of late), i think it's unfair to make it out like he gets fleeced every time or is completely incapable of making a good deal.

we wouldn't even be having this discussion if he hadn't pantsed texas a few years ago.

QUOTE (thedoctor @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 01:15 PM)
while kw's made his share of bad deals (particularly of late), i think it's unfair to make it out like he gets fleeced every time or is completely incapable of making a good deal.

we wouldn't even be having this discussion if he hadn't pantsed texas a few years ago.

Good post.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 11:13 AM)
If they go into the 2012 season with a franchise belief of something like "If Dunn and Rios bounce back, we'll be right in contention", they will fail miserably. Dunn and Rios are both guys that can only perform when there is no pressure. Being on a contending team will almost certainly prevent them from producing by itself. If you're putting the pressure of competing on their performances alone, we'll see repeats of 2011.

Why? Greg Walker is gone. Everyone should now hit.

Sox GM Ken Williams dangling John Danks

By Joe Cowley [email protected] December 1, 2011 7:38PM

John Danks of the White Sox pitches in the fourth inning at U.S. Cellular Field Wednesday, July 27, 2011, in Chicago. | John J. Kim~Sun-Times

Updated: December 1, 2011 9:18PM

White Sox manager Robin Ventura can dream.

Heck, it’s hot-stove time in December, so why crush his hopes?

Leave that to his general manager.

“Obviously, I would love to hand the ball to John Danks 30-plus times,’’ Ventura said Thursday. ‘‘Gavin Floyd, the same thing, and have Carlos [Quentin] in right field. It’s kind of a wish list, but I don’t think I know what will happen. That’s the interesting thing about going [to the winter meetings].’’

Considering the phone calls made and received by general manager Ken Williams in the last week, it’s obvious what the Sox are trying to do.

So much for the wish list.

Several major-league sources, as well as a Sox source, confirmed to the Sun-Times that Williams has been shopping Danks as next week’s winter meetings draw closer. The Sox are set to move the left-handed starter rather than have him go through one last year of arbitration, then free agency.

One problem.

“Kenny asked for everyone on our roster in return,’’ a source said.

Call it positioning before the meetings get real.

But the Sox’ reality might not be very popular with their fans or help in the standings. Tough decisions have to be made because of bad decisions made by Williams the last three seasons.

And the decision to shop Danks isn’t the only one.

By the time the meetings end next week, Danks, Quentin, Matt Thornton and free- agent pitcher Mark Buehrle could be in different uniforms.

“I think it will be decided there,’’ Ventura said when asked if the Sox could play their hand at the meetings.

The latest on the Buehrle free-agent tour doesn’t exactly bode well for the Sox, either, with a source telling the Sun-Times that interested teams need not bother unless they’re willing to start the discussions with a three-year deal that has a no-trade clause to go along with it.

Those are the starting terms.

But a Sox source did say Buehrle and his agent, Jeff Berry, have told the team they would give them a last chance to meet any offer on the table. That doesn’t mean the Sox have the finances to change Buehrle’s mind, however.

Then there’s Quentin, who was dangled last offseason to several teams and again in July as the trade deadline drew closer. The likelihood of moving him continues to pick up steam with the Sox ready to play Dayan Viciedo every day and because of Quentin’s perennial injury woes.

Thornton is the other player they’re willing to part with. Pitching coach Don Cooper said in a meeting late last season that he believed Thornton’s best days were behind him, according to a source

Floyd was believed to be another trade candidate, but, according to outside teams, the right-hander has been asked about but not offered up by Williams.

That makes sense, considering the tight relationship Floyd and Cooper have.

But the rotation the Sox are willing to march out next season doesn’t make sense. Take out Buehrle and Danks, and that leaves Jake Peavy, Chris Sale, Floyd, Phil Humber, Zach Stewart, then possibly whatever return they could get from trading Danks.

Williams was the only one sold on Stewart by the time last season ended, and Sale might be limited to 160-170 innings, going from reliever to starter.

Humber has to prove he’s not a one-hit wonder, and Peavy has to make sure that the groin problems from late last season are in the past.

“There’s a business side of this that isn’t always fun,’’ Ventura said.

A point he might become all too familiar with by this time next week.

Cowley: Kenny shopping Danks.

When you open an article with this:

White Sox manager Robin Ventura can dream.

Heck, it’s hot-stove time in December, so why crush his hopes?

Leave that to his general manager.

Why not just wear a big sign that says "I am bitter and incapable of objective reporting"?

Or, why not title the article "My bias is so crystal clear that only an imbecile will take what I write seriously"?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
When you open an article with this:

Why not just wear a big sign that says "I am bitter and incapable of objective reporting"?

Or, why not title the article "My bias is so crystal clear that only am imbecile will take what I write seriously"?

For a guy who said the Sox would become insignificant once Ozzie left, he sure does write about them a lot. Of course he uses his idol's trick, just rehashing the same column over and over again. Someone at the Sun Times should tell Cowley the world gets it, he doesn't like KW and anything he allegedly does or says is dumb. I'm not a KW guy, but Cowley is just over the top. You read the article it basically says KW is going to get rid of a ton of salary, then it says the Sox will have a shot to match a Buehrle offer but probably won't have the resources. It also said KW is asking for an entire roster for Danks. I don't see how that's a bad thing at this point. I'm pretty sure Cowley would find fault in anything KW did.

So let me get this straight, 3 years is the starting point for Buerhle, which is probably the exact amount of years the Sox would want to lock him up for. He wants a no-trade clause, which he'd automatically get by resigning with us. He's also willing to let the Sox match any offers he receives. Cowley basically shows we should be somewhat optimistic, but then says things don't look good. His bias against Williams is beyond pathetic.

Glad to hear that Williams is asking for the moon for Danks and talking to every team with an open ear. He's our most valuable trading chip and it sounds like KW is handling this situation the right way.

BTW, when is the Rule 5 draft? I always thought the idea of trading both Danks brothers in the same deal was far-fetched, but with Jordan off the 40 man roster and John likely to go, maybe there would be some logic to it. He obviously wouldn't be much more than a throw-in, but he'd offer the acquiring team a slightly better chance at retaining John long-term.