Rosenthal: "Danks will go"

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 07:30 AM)
So let me get this straight, 3 years is the starting point for Buerhle, which is probably the exact amount of years the Sox would want to lock him up for. He wants a no-trade clause, which he'd automatically get by resigning with us. He's also willing to let the Sox match any offers he receives. Cowley basically shows we should be somewhat optimistic, but then says things don't look good. His bias against Williams is beyond pathetic.

Glad to hear that Williams is asking for the moon for Danks and talking to every team with an open ear. He's our most valuable trading chip and it sounds like KW is handling this situation the right way.

BTW, when is the Rule 5 draft? I always thought the idea of trading both Danks brothers in the same deal was far-fetched, but with Jordan off the 40 man roster and John likely to go, maybe there would be some logic to it. He obviously wouldn't be much more than a throw-in, but he'd offer the acquiring team a slightly better chance at retaining John long-term.

December 8

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 10:35 PM)
When you open an article with this:

Why not just wear a big sign that says "I am bitter and incapable of objective reporting"?

Or, why not title the article "My bias is so crystal clear that only am imbecile will take what I write seriously"?

I can decide whether I like Jay Cowley, or Joe Mariotti better.

Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the White Sox have been shopping John Danks around in trade talks.

General manager Kenny Williams indicated last month that he would be reluctant to part with Danks, but it was likely just an attempt to bump up the asking price. That price is evidently steep, as a source from another team told Cowley that Williams "asked for everyone on our roster in return" for the left-hander. While an obvious exaggeration, it's no surprise that Williams would be demanding a lot for the 27-year-old Danks, who is set to make around $7-8 million in his final year of arbitration.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 10:53 AM)
Joe Cowley of the Chicago Sun-Times reports that the White Sox have been shopping John Danks around in trade talks.

General manager Kenny Williams indicated last month that he would be reluctant to part with Danks, but it was likely just an attempt to bump up the asking price. That price is evidently steep, as a source from another team told Cowley that Williams "asked for everyone on our roster in return" for the left-hander. While an obvious exaggeration, it's no surprise that Williams would be demanding a lot for the 27-year-old Danks, who is set to make around $7-8 million in his final year of arbitration.

And if he wasn't, Cowley would be throwing a fit about how he should.

If Danks is going to make $7M-$8M in 2012, why not just keep him. That will be less than Buehrle would make in 2012 if we signed him. Could see how the season goes and then trade Danks near the trading deadline (if we are out of it).

Sale is the new lefty for Buehrle's spot in the rotation. Start the season with a rotation of Sale, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Peavy. Stewart as the insurance guy.

We save money by not resigning Buehrle. And we probably trade Thornton and/or Quentin which offer more financial relief. And Peavy's contract comes off the book in 2013. We have a younger team with DeAza, Flowers, Viciedo, Morel in the mix.

And this team can still compete in a weak AL Central. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for an offensive rebound for Rios and Dunn and Beckham.

Edited by sunofgold

QUOTE (sunofgold @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
If Danks is going to make $7M-$8M in 2012, why not just keep him. That will be less than Buehrle would make in 2012 if we signed him. Could see how the season goes and then trade Danks near the trading deadline (if we are out of it).

Sale is the new lefty for Buehrle's spot in the rotation. Start the season with a rotation of Sale, Danks, Floyd, Humber, Peavy. Stewart as the insurance guy.

We save money by not resigning Buehrle. And we probably trade Thornton and/or Quentin which offer more financial relief. And Peavy's contract comes off the book in 2013. We have a younger team with DeAza, Flowers, Viciedo, Morel in the mix.

And this team can still compete in a weak AL Central. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for an offensive rebound for Rios and Dunn and Beckham.

Ugh.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 11:25 AM)
Ugh.

That team might be able to compete if everything goes right, but you have to move Danks now if he's unwilling to agree to an extension. We desperately need to get maximum value out of him, even if that hurts our chances of competing next year (based on what other moves we make). Some team will be willing to pay a steep price for him right now. I wish it weren't the case, but we really need to add young talent and he's our best chip.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 2, 2011 -> 11:53 AM)

I'm glad that if the Marlins are trying to trade for Danks, we're asking for a high price.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.csnchicago.com/blog/whitesox-ta...mp;feedID=10338

Nats view Danks as backup plan to Gio?

December 15, 2011, 10:10 pm

JJ STANKEVITZ

csnchicago.png

@Ken_Rosenthal

Ken Rosenthal#Nationals also want Gonzalez, view #WhiteSox's Danks as Plan B. After missing out on Buehrle, LH starter remains Nats' priority. #MLB

Dec 16 via Twitter for MacFavoriteRetweetReply

On one hand, this makes sense. No team has met Kenny Williams' exorbitant demands for John Danks yet, and if Washington misses out on its top two lefty targets, maybe they get desperate and meet the White Sox asking price.

On the other hand, Williams has shown an affinity for trading with teams he's dealt and had a good experience with before, be it Arizona, Toronto, Philadelphia, etc. Williams, though, didn't have a very good experience trying to deal with Mike Rizzo and the Nationals last summer when rumors swirled the Sox acquired Edwin Jackson with the intention of flipping him to Washington for Adam Dunn.

But when Washington came back asking for Jackson, Dayan Viciedo and Tyler Flowers, any chance of a Dunn deal fell through and the Sox kept Jackson (who, for the record, was great down the stretch in 2010).

Maybe a weak trade market for Danks would force Williams to talk with the Nationals, though.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
What do the Nationals have in the way of prospects? Anybody that would be a nice get for Danks?

I don't know a lot of names in particular, but they have made it a priority to rebuild their system in the last three years.

My guess is our #1 target would be Brad Peacock, although I am not sure why they would want to trade him for Danksy. I am not sure why they are even interested in Danksy, to be honest, unless they believe they would have a better chance of signing a premier FA by acquiring him via trade and then re-signing him prior to him hitting FA.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:06 AM)
Kenny should demand Strasburg and Harper just to give Rizzo a giant F-U.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing. If I were Kenny I would absolutely flip the table on Rizzo and treat him the same way

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. If I were Kenny I would absolutely flip the table on Rizzo and treat him the same way

Actually, I would sucker him along and make it seem like I would do Peacock and another midlevel spect, and then right after all the other top targets change hands, I would say...I think I might need another piece....we're going to need one of either Harper or Strasburg...

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 10:09 AM)

Although it might be nice to do so...if they're going to put a solid offer on the table for Danks, we aren't in a position to be jerks out of spite, we need the solid offer too much.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:13 AM)
Although it might be nice to do so...if they're going to put a solid offer on the table for Danks, we aren't in a position to be jerks out of spite, we need the solid offer too much.

Eh. So you take that offer back to other teams, and get them to bid up. f*** Rizzo.