Kenny gets new special assistant

southsider2k5

QUOTE (chw42 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 11:51 PM)
When you get this excited over a hiring of a special assistant, it just means our off-season has been really boring.

I would say that is because of the moves made a few days before the season ended. So its a technicality. Other than that, the off season is young.

Good add.

I also would have considered Omar Minaya to be an hired as an assistant to the GM in regards to scouting too. Lot of good, young players on the Mets were drafted by Minaya*.

*Yes, and the bad, overpaid ones too.

Edited by whitesox901

QUOTE (whitesox901 @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:30 AM)
Good add.

I also would have considered Omar Minaya to be an hired as an assistant to the GM in regards to scouting too. Lot of good, young players on the Mets were drafted by Minaya*.

*Yes, and the bad, overpaid ones too.

Who has Minaya drafted that plays on the Metropolitans today? Reyes and Wright were there BEFORE Minaya was even hired by the EXPOS.

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Nov 30, 2011 -> 03:03 PM)
Maybe I am missing over the last 3-4 years some good to star quality Jays latin player that came out of their system..

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-11...iciedo-signings

Toronto's international signings during Paddy's watch include infielder Adeiny Hechavarria, a former member of the Cuban national team, pitcher Henderson Alvarez, a two-time Futures Game selection, and pitcher Roberto Ozuna (nephew of former Sox pitcher Antonio Ozuna) and catcher Carlos Perez, who was ranked as Toronto's eighth top prospect entering the 2011 season by Baseball America.

Regardless of how well he has performed at his job, it's just a sign that they are planning on increasing their efforts to bring in Latin talent, or at the very least they understand that it is a problem. So, I think we should have been excited about this regardless of how slow our offseason has been.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 12:42 PM)
Wasn't it Antonio oSuna?

Actually, yes. You're right. It makes sense that I never equated Pablo and Antonio possibly being related in my head. Perhaps the article meant to say that the guy is the nephew of Pablo Ozuna? That, or they made two mistakes.

QUOTE (gatnom @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
Regardless of how well he has performed at his job, it's just a sign that they are planning on increasing their efforts to bring in Latin talent, or at the very least they understand that it is a problem. So, I think we should have been excited about this regardless of how slow our offseason has been.

It's a nice sign, but quality international player acquisition has still been limited by the new CBA as compared to what it used to be.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 1, 2011 -> 02:00 PM)
Actually, yes. You're right. It makes sense that I never equated Pablo and Antonio possibly being related in my head. Perhaps the article meant to say that the guy is the nephew of Pablo Ozuna? That, or they made two mistakes.

http://mopupduty.com/jays-on-verge-of-sign...rto-osuna-1205/

Definitely no connection to "flying across 1B while signalling safe on any close infield grounder" Pablo Ozuna.

Edited by caulfield12