Best thing I have seen in a while

Texsox

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 01:46 PM)
No, you should realize that there's nothing inherently wrong with a gay couple raising a child.

It would be much more fun to start posting stories of clearly unfit heterosexual parents in reply to his postings of homosexual families that don't work.

Thus proving beyond any doubt that all children should be raised by wolves.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
No, that is ONE EXAMPLE of when lesbians have a kid. Should people post negative examples and claim that is the norm as well? (You knew I would post this, didn't you?)

Exactly. That was the care bears fluff piece version of being raised by homosexuals/lesbians. There's potential (proven) disaster everywhere.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Exactly. That was the care bears fluff piece version of being raised by homosexuals/lesbians. There's potential (proven) disaster everywhere.

And according to actual data, no more than due to children being raised by heterosexuals, who screw up plenty of times.

The only logical solution is wolves.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
No, that is ONE EXAMPLE of when lesbians have a kid. Should people post negative examples and claim that is the norm as well? (You knew I would post this, didn't you?)

Where did he claim it as the norm?

The question raised was CAN lesbian couples raise a kid. Holy s***, looks like they can.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 01:20 PM)
Where did he claim it as the norm?

The question raised was CAN lesbian couples raise a kid. Holy s***, looks like they can.

It is implied. The title of the thread says "this is what happens when lesbians have a kid." That's one example. I can post horror stories of kids that wanted to kill themselves over having gay parents.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 01:22 PM)
It is implied. The title of the thread says "this is what happens when lesbians have a kid." That's one example. I can post horror stories of kids that wanted to kill themselves over having gay parents.

Didn't see the sub-title, they does change it.

As for the video, that's what Mr. Wahls is arguing, is if they can.

And I can post stories of kids who want to kill themselves because of abusive straight parents.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 01:25 PM)
Didn't see the sub-title, they does change it.

As for the video, that's what Mr. Wahls is arguing, is if they can.

And I can post stories of kids who want to kill themselves because of abusive straight parents.

True. I'm just saying that vid is not some sort of "win" for gay parenting.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 3, 2011 -> 12:46 PM)
No, you should realize that there's nothing inherently wrong with a gay couple raising a child.

I never said there was, quit inferring some gay hatred on me that perhaps you yourself harbor. i said that one positive example does not rule for all, just as one negative example shouldn't either. Read what is written, not what YOUR intolerance leads to to see.

I can post horror stories of kids that wanted to kill themselves over having parents.

Fixed.

I can post horror stories of parents that wanted to kill themselves over having children.

Doubly fixed.

I think the best situation for a child is to be raised by a mother and father, but I think a gay couple raising a child is only slightly less ideal and certainly far, far better than being raised by a single crackwhore who has children by 3+ different men. So I'm not at all opposed to gay couples adopting, but my only disclaimer is that if the parents giving up the baby have a moral objection to it, they should be allowed to place that restriction on the adopting parents.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 07:52 AM)
I think the best situation for a child is to be raised by a mother and father, but I think a gay couple raising a child is only slightly less ideal and certainly far, far better than being raised by a single crackwhore who has children by 3+ different men. So I'm not at all opposed to gay couples adopting, but my only disclaimer is that if the parents giving up the baby have a moral objection to it, they should be allowed to place that restriction on the adopting parents.

I pretty much agree with this. I think having both a male and female parent and influence is the ideal circumstance... but I also think that having two loving parents who function well is far more important, regardless of gender. And I also agree that if people are giving a child up for adoption, they should have as much choice as they want about who they give the child to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 02:25 PM)
I pretty much agree with this. I think having both a male and female parent and influence is the ideal circumstance... but I also think that having two loving parents who function well is far more important, regardless of gender. And I also agree that if people are giving a child up for adoption, they should have as much choice as they want about who they give the child to.

Do people who give up their child for adoption usually have the ability to restrict certain traits of prospective parents?

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:25 AM)
And I also agree that if people are giving a child up for adoption, they should have as much choice as they want about who they give the child to.

Disagree with this. Should we disqualify a child a loving home because the birth parents who are forfeiting their right to raise their child decides that they don't want their kids raised in a family of (gay people/black people/muslims/christians/hispanics)? Last time I checked, if you abdicate your right to child rearing, you abdicate your right to child rearing.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:14 AM)
Do people who give up their child for adoption usually have the ability to restrict certain traits of prospective parents?

QUOTE (Rex Kicka** @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
Disagree with this. Should we disqualify a child a loving home because the birth parents who are forfeiting their right to raise their child decides that they don't want their kids raised in a family of (gay people/black people/muslims/christians/hispanics)? Last time I checked, if you abdicate your right to child rearing, you abdicate your right to child rearing.

Sort of answering to both...

1. I actually don't know what the laws are on this at present. I personally feel that if a person or couple is going to give a child up for adoption, that they should have the choice as to who gets him or her. If they want to abdicate that choice to an agency, that's fine. But if they want to interview and choose, that is also fine.

2. I agree that if you give up the child, you give up the right to raise it. But I think that begins at the moment you actually give up the child - not before. I think of it as similar to godparents. You choose, essentially, the person or couple you would most trust to raise your child if something horrible happened to you as a parent(s). No one tells you who to make next of kin, you choose. Similarly, if you decide you need to give up a child when it is born, you should have some choice as to who they go to.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 10:27 AM)

1. I actually don't know what the laws are on this at present. I personally feel that if a person or couple is going to give a child up for adoption, that they should have the choice as to who gets him or her. If they want to abdicate that choice to an agency, that's fine. But if they want to interview and choose, that is also fine.

2. I agree that if you give up the child, you give up the right to raise it. But I think that begins at the moment you actually give up the child - not before. I think of it as similar to godparents. You choose, essentially, the person or couple you would most trust to raise your child if something horrible happened to you as a parent(s). No one tells you who to make next of kin, you choose. Similarly, if you decide you need to give up a child when it is born, you should have some choice as to who they go to.

What you're describing in the first one is called open adoption. In most cases, those parents stay a part of their child's lives actually.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 5, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)

That's understandable.

What I was thinking when it was mentioned was someone giving their child up to an adoption agency and specifying "no gays". I'm not sure if there's any precedent for requests like that.