Solar Chargers

Texsox

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 4, 2011 -> 05:15 PM)
They are kind of worthless from my experience. Some of them have to charge for hours to give a good one to your phone.

I will be where there is no electricity and plenty of light. If it powers my phone's gps and camera, it may be cool.

I'm starting to see them pop up in the backcountry, seeing backpackers with them. Some use a single-panel thing they clip onto their pack. But they also have lightweight, flexible sheets that you can lay over the top.

But here is the other thing... the panel(s) itself may not weigh much, but, the cord you have to use might. If it can charge via USB, great, do that. But make sure the charger has a USB capability. Which brings up the other thing... some devices - such as some GPS units - have to charge via normal 12V plugs, like you put in a wall. Some solar stations may not have that, and even if it does, the charger cord probably weighs more than the GPS unit.

Basically, if you are looking at these... bring your actual equipment into an REI, and see what it takes to actually get them plugged together.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:02 AM)
I'm starting to see them pop up in the backcountry, seeing backpackers with them. Some use a single-panel thing they clip onto their pack. But they also have lightweight, flexible sheets that you can lay over the top.

But here is the other thing... the panel(s) itself may not weigh much, but, the cord you have to use might. If it can charge via USB, great, do that. But make sure the charger has a USB capability. Which brings up the other thing... some devices - such as some GPS units - have to charge via normal 12V plugs, like you put in a wall. Some solar stations may not have that, and even if it does, the charger cord probably weighs more than the GPS unit.

Basically, if you are looking at these... bring your actual equipment into an REI, and see what it takes to actually get them plugged together.

The only work under the best of conditions, mostly. And the biggest issue with them is how long they take to charge. Do they work? Yes. But who wants to be sitting around for 8 hours while a camera charges under the sun? Leave it and you risk someone stealing it or a huge rain/wind storm coming around, etc.

Also, like you mentioned, space/weight they take up. I'm sure they'll get better over time, but from what I see, they're mostly only usable in the best of conditions.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 08:14 AM)
The only work under the best of conditions, mostly. And the biggest issue with them is how long they take to charge. Do they work? Yes. But who wants to be sitting around for 8 hours while a camera charges under the sun? Leave it and you risk someone stealing it or a huge rain/wind storm coming around, etc.

Also, like you mentioned, space/weight they take up. I'm sure they'll get better over time, but from what I see, they're mostly only usable in the best of conditions.

Well, you can somewhat address the time issue by putting it on the top or back of your back (or on the front on the shoulder strap, depending on sun direction). So things can charge while you hike. I even saw recently, a backpack with a solar cell built right into it. But I agree, the technology (portable, personal use solar cells) is still in its infancy, or toddlerhood at least.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
Well, you can somewhat address the time issue by putting it on the top or back of your back (or on the front on the shoulder strap, depending on sun direction). So things can charge while you hike. I even saw recently, a backpack with a solar cell built right into it. But I agree, the technology (portable, personal use solar cells) is still in its infancy, or toddlerhood at least.

That's pretty use specific. Most campers don't do walk-in/hike-in camping. So for the backpackers out there, it may be useful...but I say "may" with a bit of gusto.

As someone who has backpack camped, the last thing you want to do is add any more weight or bulk (or fragile technology) to your pack. Most pocket GPS's can last upwards of 7 days with constant use. WTF are people doing with their tech that it's running out of batteries? Stop abusing it and you wouldn't have to worry about such nonsense.

I mean...your backpacking...put the f***ing technology away. This kinda crap is ruining camping. ;)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:15 AM)
That's pretty use specific. Most campers don't do walk-in/hike-in camping. So for the backpackers out there, it may be useful...but I say "may" with a bit of gusto.

As someone who has backpack camped, the last thing you want to do is add any more weight or bulk (or fragile technology) to your pack. Most pocket GPS's can last upwards of 7 days with constant use. WTF are people doing with their tech that it's running out of batteries? Stop abusing it and you wouldn't have to worry about such nonsense.

I mean...your backpacking...put the f***ing technology away. This kinda crap is ruining camping. ;)

7 days? We use Garmin Rino HCx's, they are GPS units (map-capable) with intergrated 2-way radios (which come in handy when you have large groups). If we keep them on during daylight hours, and use them occasionally, we get about 3-4 days per charge on the battery. So, we're fine for short trips, but start to have issues on week-long ones. That's why I have been considering solar chargers.

Problem with these Rinos is, even though they have a USB port, that is only used for data transfer. To charge it, you have to use the wall plug, which includes a cord that (irritatingly) has one of those giant resisters at the plug end. Weighs a ton. That's where my issue is.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
7 days? We use Garmin Rino HCx's, they are GPS units (map-capable) with intergrated 2-way radios (which come in handy when you have large groups). If we keep them on during daylight hours, and use them occasionally, we get about 3-4 days per charge on the battery. So, we're fine for short trips, but start to have issues on week-long ones. That's why I have been considering solar chargers.

Problem with these Rinos is, even though they have a USB port, that is only used for data transfer. To charge it, you have to use the wall plug, which includes a cord that (irritatingly) has one of those giant resisters at the plug end. Weighs a ton. That's where my issue is.

I have those -- and the worst part about them is they charge slow, too...so I'm pretty skeptical that they could even come close to being charged up a reasonable amount by some infancy solar charger tech.

Best idea I've found with these is just carry an extra fully charged battery in a waterproof bag...ends up being less space taken for just about the same amount of weight seeing as that you don't need a solar charger + the cord.

I've found, in my vast camping experience, that most people abuse GPS units (and for that matter other portable technology while out in the woods), by using them when they're not necessary, messing around with the two way radios too much, etc.

Put the tech away until you actually need it... :P And if you can't, a simple extra battery is more than sufficient.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:30 AM)
I have those -- and the worst part about them is they charge slow, too...so I'm pretty skeptical that they could even come close to being charged up a reasonable amount by some infancy solar charger tech.

Best idea I've found with these is just carry an extra fully charged battery in a waterproof bag...ends up being less space taken for just about the same amount of weight seeing as that you don't need a solar charger + the cord.

I've found, in my vast camping experience, that most people abuse GPS units (and for that matter other portable technology while out in the woods), by using them when they're not necessary, messing around with the two way radios too much, etc.

Put the tech away until you actually need it... :P And if you can't, a simple extra battery is more than sufficient.

That's exactly what we do, on the longer trips. I just bought an extra battery pack, and charge it before we go. Weighs less than the charging cord and solar cell would anyway.

I just wush Garmin had designed the unit a little better, to where the already-existing USB port could also charge the battery. Would have made things easier.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 09:37 AM)
That's exactly what we do, on the longer trips. I just bought an extra battery pack, and charge it before we go. Weighs less than the charging cord and solar cell would anyway.

I just wush Garmin had designed the unit a little better, to where the already-existing USB port could also charge the battery. Would have made things easier.

Honestly, Garmin's designs are pretty bad. They're far bulkier than they should be IMO. They need to put some serious work into the ease of use on their software, not to even mention they need to design their hardware FAR better than they do.