Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Kenny is going to do well rebuilding. He has tunnel vision. He sees something he wants and pays whatever to get it. On the other hand he feels that other GMs will do the same. He will leave the meetings tomorrow saying that we don't have to give our players away. Then in a few weeks he will make another token trade for payroll sake, then put a bow on the offseason. His next plan will be to wait until the trading deadline. We will pick up crap for Danks.

Marketing will spin the offseason on the rebirth of Dunn, etc.

Edited by southsideirish71

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:11 PM)
I don't think Kenny is going to do well rebuilding. He has tunnel vision. He sees something he wants and pays whatever to get it. On the other hand he feels that other GMs will do the same. He will leave the meetings tomorrow saying that we don't have to give our players away. Then in a few weeks he will make another token trade for payroll sake, then put a bow on the offseason. His next plan will be to wait until the trading deadline. We will pick up crap for Danks.

Marketing will spin the offseason on the rebirth of Dunn, etc.

I don't think Dunn, Rios and Beckham could be any worse this year.

Show some patients guys, as said before the market for Danks/Floyd will open up soon now that Mark and (presumable) CJ are gone....Those guys were linked to so many teams that one of em, having lost out, will give KW a good haul. If Paulies bein moved you wait till after Prince Albert is gone and ship him off to one of the losers...Same with CQ...With the Sergio trade its obvious this Paddy guy must really likes this kid and kenny got him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 04:32 AM)
Wow did the Brewers screw up by offering KRod their arbitration. Basically is going to end up costing them the chance to sign Aramis Ramirez and Latroy Hawkins. Also, it looks bad for KW when Hawkins signs for less than what Frasor will get.

I dunno, it looks middling when you consider what Benoit got last year.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 04:37 AM)
Benoit was also coming off of one of the more dominating relief years in a long time.

I think pretty much everyone outside of Detroit and Benoit's agent felt that the deal was over market value, though, considering the volatility of the position. The classic GM maxim is you don't pay for what a player has done, you pay for what you think they'll do.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)
Wow did the Brewers screw up by offering KRod their arbitration. Basically is going to end up costing them the chance to sign Aramis Ramirez and Latroy Hawkins. Also, it looks bad for KW when Hawkins signs for less than what Frasor will get.

Most expensive set-up guy ever

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 01:32 AM)

Hawkins is signing with the Angels. Brewers could deal K-Rod to the Red Sox for Scutaro tho. That would solve their SS problem and they could still go after A-Ram.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 06:58 PM)
Which is what he should be doing on December 7th.

I'm not sure what the f*** you want, Dick...do you want him to get good prospects for these pieces or do you want him to just give them away?

For everyone crying about Santos not being shopped more, why the hell are you also crying that there has not been more trades made?

Make up your damned minds.

This is probably the best post in this thread. If you want Kenny to get maximum return, you can't fault him for not taking the first thing he got for Danks, Floyd, TCQ etc.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 07:49 AM)
This is probably the best post in this thread. If you want Kenny to get maximum return, you can't fault him for not taking the first thing he got for Danks, Floyd, TCQ etc.

I think we're all a little let down by the lack of activity from the winter meetings. I thought the Sergio trade was the beginning of a domino effect. But we have to realize that it's very early, and hopefully some groundwork was laid over the past few days. I imagine (hope) that once Wilson signs, the likes of Gio, Danks, and maybe Floyd will be moved.

I'm concerned about 2012 being a bad year, but I'd be okay with a down year knowing the farm has been re-stocked. The Molina acquisition is a good start, but the farm is still pretty bare. With Buehrle officially gone, I want to see Quentin, Thornton, and Floyd/Danks traded. I'm ready for a the kids can play season...well, the kids and some highly paid under-achieving old guys anyway.

I think to call the off-season a bust is premature at this point. A lot of the groundwork for deals is being laid right now and then the teams will return home and work out the details. The Santos deal was allegedly started a month ago. The Red Sox are rumored to be interested in a TCQ/Floyd deal, that may come to fruition if the Sox can identify the pieces they want in return.

I am not a KW fan, however, he can not trade pitching until some of the cards are off the table. Once Wilson signs and Gio, Santana, and Garza are traded, the market for Floyd and Danks will identify itself. Whoever misses on Mike Gonzalez will have some interest in Thornton.