Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:09 AM)
Santos was expendable since the Sox got Reed and a few others to replace him.

I personally thought moving Santos was a good idea. I don't believe the return was good enough.

Either way, most of Kenny's acquisitions over the past few years have been terrible and I tend to believe this is another one of those bad moves. I believe Santos will thrive in Toronto and hopefully Molina won't languish in the minors or be relegated to mop up duty and can actually become a viable middle of the rotation starter.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally thought moving Santos was a good idea. I don't believe the return was good enough.

Either way, most of Kenny's acquisitions over the past few years have been terrible and I tend to believe this is another one of those bad moves. I believe Santos will thrive in Toronto and hopefully Molina won't languish in the minors or be relegated to mop up duty and can actually become a viable middle of the rotation starter.

IMO Santos will struggle with the Jays because of facing the AL East teams many times..

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 11:17 PM)

I wonder if KW will have enough time to see how Molina develops.

If Santos turns into a stud closer and Molina busts - it could be his downfall.

Then again - who knows if he's got enough time on the clock to be around that long.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:34 AM)
Phil Rogers said a few weeks ago that Santos was being shopped to other teams, so if he knew its hard to believe not the rest of the league knew about it..

Rodgers is an idiot. He didn't say the Sox were shopping him. He said teams were calling about him. BIG difference.

One GM says he has heard of proposed blockbusters discussed by other teams -- 5-for-3 deals, 6-for-2, etc. Was only specific off the record. -Buster Olney

I wouldn't doubt it if we discussed something like this with the Reds:

Chisox send: Q, Danks, Thornton

Reds send: Grandal, Alonso, Baily, +2 pitching prospects

QUOTE (hi8is @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:38 AM)
I wouldn't doubt it if we discussed something like this with the Reds:

Chisox send: Q, Danks, Thornton

Reds send: Grandal, Alonso, Baily, +2 pitching prospects

If that trade was on the table, KW would have accepted it, that would be a haul.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:17 AM)

I'm sorry. If you can name another reliever who has been lights out for seven years straight, who profiles like Santos. Please tell me. And obviously, you should've told Kenny too.

End of story: relievers are NOT worth a lot. They're fickle. They can be Cliff Politte. They can be Neal Cotts. They can be Dustin Hermanson. They can be guys who are brilliant for a year or two and then fall off the map. If you have the opportunity to SELL HIGH on a guy and get a great young arm who could potentially start - you do it. You don't wait till 2 or 3 years into the contract when he realizes he's not good. Then what do you have?

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Haul for Gio will be very nice and more than Danks. Lots of action on him right now. Loser of Gio derby

calls KW back. Danks doesn't move until after Gio.

:( Well... anyone but Detroit. Gio is a beauty. Personal favorite prospect of mine not named Jeremy Reed when he was here. Would hate to have to root against him. Oh and p.s. Rock.. bucket also has his "source(s)" bro. ;)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 08:52 AM)
Haul for Gio will be very nice and more than Danks. Lots of action on him right now. Loser of Gio derby

calls KW back. Danks doesn't move until after Gio.

So who is the next to go if Floyd/Danks are on hold? I'm going with Thornton as I don't see his market getting much better by waiting. Quentin might become more attractive for teams that miss out on a big bat.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:10 AM)
So who is the next to go if Floyd/Danks are on hold? I'm going with Thornton as I don't see his market getting much better by waiting. Quentin might become more attractive for teams that miss out on a big bat.

Obviously it's gonna be another "WTF" deal and we'll see Alexei go in the next 24 hours. :D

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:05 AM)
:( Well... anyone but Detroit. Gio is a beauty. Personal favorite prospect of mine not named Jeremy Reed when he was here. Would hate to have to root against him. Oh and p.s. Rock.. bucket also has his "source(s)" bro. ;)

Huh? What does this have to do with me?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:23 AM)
Huh? What does this have to do with me?

Just rememeber a post in a thread (not sure which) from both of you about Buehrle. Bucket is also a guy here who has his source(s) on this site. Both of you guys (along with a couple others) are excellent feedbacks on inside info.

Edited by SoxAce

Supposedly KW is asking for a kings ransom for Danks. Comparisons to the Ubaldo trade (4 prospects, 2 first rounders)...Even if Kenny is only able to get 3 prospects and 1 first rounder I'll take it. his first trade is tough to spin, but there is plenty of time to round out the system a bit and team.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 09:52 AM)
Supposedly KW is asking for a kings ransom for Danks. Comparisons to the Ubaldo trade (4 prospects, 2 first rounders)...Even if Kenny is only able to get 3 prospects and 1 first rounder I'll take it. his first trade is tough to spin, but there is plenty of time to round out the system a bit and team.

You could probably get four first rounders from the Cubs.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:22 AM)
So apparently the Dodgers are looking for a bat (OF or 1B type) and a reliever. Anyone know how their farm system is? Anything worthwhile for a Quentin/Thornton package? Any chance Konerko waives his NTC to play there again?

Dodgers have no money to spend so you would have to pick up all of Konerkos salary. Not sure that the Dodgers have enough quality prospects to make that worth if for the Sox.

QUOTE (PorkChopExpress @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:22 AM)
So apparently the Dodgers are looking for a bat (OF or 1B type) and a reliever. Anyone know how their farm system is? Anything worthwhile for a Quentin/Thornton package? Any chance Konerko waives his NTC to play there again?

It's an average farm system.

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:08 AM)
But as soon as you're willing to move a player, then you exhaust all opportunities, including calling the Orioles.

Brutal trade.

Bingo. Williams preferred methodology of "targeting" a player and failing (it seems) to ascertain the market are NOT mutually exclusive.

But, it's not necessarily a "brutal trade," time will tell on that. Instead, it's a brutal and rather amateurish PROCESS.

Edited by CyAcosta41