Sox Winter Meetings thread

NorthSideSox72

I think something else will get done before tomorrow. Also, the groundwork for trades may be happening now. Trades that may not happen until next month.

If teams are offering garbage for John Danks, then I am glad we are hearing no news.

I mean for the whole league not just with the Sox... I do believe Quentin will be traded tonight and Buehrle will also be leaving the Sox tonight.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:31 AM)
Seems like Gio being available is really holding things up on the Danks front. It was said that KW was asking the Yankees for Banuelos and Montero. I would accept a package without those guys in it. The Yankees have some intriguing names. If Gio gets dealt somewhere else would the Yankees part with a package headlined by Betances? What would be a realistic package in return for Danks? I would love Betances, Gary Sanchez and Hector Noesi but even that may be unrealistic. They also have OF's Mason Williams, Slade Heathcoate, and Dante Bichette JR.

Sanchez is basically Montero just 3 years younger and he has a better chance of catching. Bichette is a 3B. It's actually Heathcott. You forgot Ravel Santana who is our only five tool prospect in the system and a legit five tool prospect at that. I doubt they'd consider that, the Yankees FO people like Noesi more than Nova. Noesi is throwing 97 mph now after tweaking his delivery this fall. You can have Betances though.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
I mean for the whole league not just with the Sox... I do believe Quentin will be traded tonight and Buehrle will also be leaving the Sox tonight.

Not sure about CQ, but I agree about Mark. Very very sad. But I also understand the situation.

If Dunn/Rios/Peavy play badly again next year the venom will make last year look like a walk in the tulips. Mark essentially is NOT coming back to the White Sox precisely because of those guys.

2005 seems like 40 years ago. :(

QUOTE (kwolf68 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:43 AM)
Or the Sox could maybe get Banuelos in there, but remove Sanchez/Murphy (replace with JR Murhpy-Catcher) ... just tossing ideas out there

The Yankees as you mention have a couple OFs plus a few interesting middle infield specs.

I do believe there is a fit with the Yankees involving Danks and we wouldn't need to touch ANY of their top 5 prospects. Given that Danks is coming into his last year that's an argument to be made.

Kenny asking for Montero and Banuelos is high comedy, although I like the go-for it idea...don't really know unless you ask.

-edited for proper spelling-

I don't want to sound like a douche but the Yankees wouldn't do Banuelos for Danks straight up. The M's were thinking about Banuelos and Nunez for Lee and the Yankees offered them Montero instead along with Adams and McAllister in that now famous non-trade. The Yankees think the world of Banuelos, heck even Mariano called him the greatest prospect he's seen since he came up and Mo never really talks about the uoung guys other than a token he's going to be good, he's got good stuff, etc.

the Middle INF spects you speak of, you mean Culver, Gumbs and the GCL crowd? Since they really don't have much else in the upper levels sans Adams and CoJo.

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:53 PM)
I don't want to sound like a douche but the Yankees wouldn't do Banuelos for Danks straight up. The M's were thinking about Banuelos and Nunez for Lee and the Yankees offered them Montero instead along with Adams and McAllister in that now famous non-trade. The Yankees think the world of Banuelos, heck even Mariano called him the greatest prospect he's seen since he came up and Mo never really talks about the uoung guys other than a token he's going to be good, he's got good stuff, etc.

the Middle INF spects you speak of, you mean Culver, Gumbs and the GCL crowd? Since they really don't have much else in the upper levels sans Adams and CoJo.

No, you don't sound bad. I know Banuelos is highly regarded. I had no idea his reputation was THAT good. Ive even seen the other pitcher in your system ranked higher in some lists.

Again, I believe there is a fit between the Sox and Yankees that would NOT entail the Sox getting ANY of the Yankees top 5 prospects. The Yankees have an excellent, deep system and if they can get a sturdy pitcher like Danks without giving up their prime 5 or 6 guys I think they (the Yankees) would be inclined to do it and the Sox (who have a wretched farm system) would jump at the chance to start retooling it.

Betances over Banuelos? I haven't seen that before, but I'll take your words on it. Yeah the FO basically loves Manny. Yankees have a lot of depth and for once its spread out through the system. I'd deal Betances for Danks but I wouldn't give up too much more, something like George Kontos who should be a useful 7th inning type pitcher and Jorge Vazquez who has HUGE power but he's like 28 or 29.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
This is the last full day of the winter meetings and it has been pretty damn boring so far.. I thought there would be more trades and signings..

Buehrle and Wilson signing will drive up the demand for Floyd and Danks. Until they sign, you won't see these two traded (if they even get traded).

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:12 PM)
PFB was just on the radio talking about how sox fans should of come out in droves based on the fact that we started out 3-2. LOL

How winning 72 games a year is better than a rebuild.

Assuming you're talking about Laurence Holmes and Chris Rongey last night around 6:20 or so I heard some of this too.

What's funny is that they touched on exactly what the problem is without realizing it.

The team has to win and win consistently for the fans to show up. Winning the division once every few years with some 3rd and 4th place finishes mixed in-between just doesn't cut.

Win the division 2 or 3 years in a row and you'll see the fans show up.

QUOTE (striker @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 01:31 PM)
I think it's funny how Yankees fans and scouts hype up Banuelos and he had a WHIP of like 1.6 last year. While Molina is "at best a #3 or #4 starter" and he had a WHIP close to 1.

You look at stuff, not stats when you grade a minor leaguer. Molina is 22 and in Double-A while Manny is 20 and was in Triple-A. Huge difference there if you know it or not.

I complained about the lack of excitement this off-season and hoping that the Winter Meetings would ramp it up a bit. So far the biggest story has been the Santos trade and that was hardly a blockbuster.

No crazy trades, None of the Big 4 Free Agents signed (Pujols/Fielder/Buehrle/Wilson) Come on baseball!

QUOTE (Cali @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:34 PM)
I complained about the lack of excitement this off-season and hoping that the Winter Meetings would ramp it up a bit. So far the biggest story has been the Santos trade and that was hardly a blockbuster.

No crazy trades, None of the Big 4 Free Agents signed (Pujols/Fielder/Buehrle/Wilson) Come on baseball!

KPe. Its all been stored up, now the earthquake is coming. I think we'll see a whole rash of trades and signings in the near future.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I saw that, too. What does anyone know about Red Sox prospects?

I don't think they have great pitching prospects. I looked at some of their minor league stats yesterday, and Brandon Workman and Keith Couch had good seasons at A-ball, but I don't know if they're legit prospects.

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:32 PM)
I saw that, too. What does anyone know about Red Sox prospects?

The good ones are in S.D. Bottom-heavy system.

Middlebrooks is a projected everyday 3B. Defense first.

Couple of decent pitchers. If KW deals to Boston it's going to be for A/AA arms.

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:42 PM)
I would imagine Reddick would be involved in any deal as well. Personally, I don't think Boston is a good trade partner.

I guess I am one of the few who would love Reddick on the team. Not sure where he fits (even if CQ is moved), but I love his approach at the plate and his defense is very good.

As far as a matchup with Boston...they don't really have any stud pitching prospects, but they have a few good ones (Alex Wilson comes to mind).

While Boston isn't a perfect trading partner, I think some potential exists there.

My Red Sox source told me that, this could be a 5 to 6 player trade. With either Danks or Floyd along with Quentin to the Red Sox and some of the players that KW wants back is Reddick, Ranaudo, Igelsias and Doubront.

he also said that they been working on this all day..

Edited by SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:48 PM)
My Red Sox source told me that, this could be a 5 to 6 player trade. With either Danks or Floyd along with Quentin to the Red Sox and some of the players that KW wants is Reddick, Ranaudo, Igelsias and Doubront.

he also said that they been working on this all day..

Meh at Iglesias. I don't think he will hit. Mighty fine defender though. I'm okay with Reddick and Ranaudo. Not sure on Doubront.

Edited by DirtySox