Sergio Santos traded to Toronto

Steve9347

• Replies 591
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 03:28 PM)
Yeah, rival scouts have different opinions. I'm sure some of our scouts dont like him either. Scouts are about as accurate as weather men. Its still a crap shoot.

Which is why I'm iffy about trading a cheap MLB-level player for him.

Kw really needs to have nailed this one.

KW already took a washed out shortstop and converted him to a valuable closer, and then traded him for a fairly well rated minor league pitcher. I like this move, the Sox spent very little and are adding more pieces to the minors

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:05 PM)
It isn't right. It was last year's ranking. BA hasn't done 2012 for the Jays yet. Sickels didn't have him on his top 20 last year, and he moved all the way to number 2 for 2012.

I may have misheard the #, but he was talking about the Blue Jays' yet-to-be published 2012 top 30 prospects. He mentioned Molina would be the Sox's #2 and noted the difference between the two systems. Trust me, I hope I misheard him.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
I may have misheard the #, but he was talking about the Blue Jays' yet-to-be published 2012 top 30 prospects. He mentioned Molina would be the Sox's #2 and noted the difference between the two systems. Trust me, I hope I misheard him.

If so, they really don't think he's going to end up a starter.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:30 PM)
Which is why I'm iffy about trading a cheap MLB-level player for him.

Kw really needs to have nailed this one.

But the Sox have zero need for that player over the next couple of years, even if he is cheap. Maybe this isn't the best prospect KW could have targeted, but I can't fault him getting a prospect here.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:33 PM)
KW already took a washed out shortstop and converted him to a valuable closer, and then traded him for a fairly well rated minor league pitcher. I like this move, the Sox spent very little and are adding more pieces to the minors

I was thinking the same, but no one likes to give our system credit for anything, so I wasn't going to try and take on the burden this time...no one is going to do the "Hudson + Holmberg for EJax + Teahen = Stewart" thing here...:)

That being said, regardless of where he came from or how he got here, Santos' success was real, and I would have liked to have gotten another guy back just because of the attrition rate, as Balta has mentioned.

Edited by iamshack

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
But the Sox have zero need for that player over the next couple of years, even if he is cheap. Maybe this isn't the best prospect KW could have targeted, but I can't fault him getting a prospect here.

I'm confused...weren't you just on the other side of this thing about an hour ago? :)

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:36 PM)
I was thinking the same, but no one likes to give our system credit for anything, so I wasn't going to try and take on the burden this time...no one is going to do the "Hudson + Holmberg for EJax + Teahen = Stewart" thing here...:)

That being said, regardless of where he came from or how he got here, Santos' success was real, and I would have liked to have gotten another guy back just because of the attrition rate, as Balta has mentioned.

It looked to me that the AL was starting to catch up to him 2nd half last year. He wasn't getting SO's at his usual rate. He wasn't wild...batters weren't swinging until he HAD to throw a strike. That's how I saw it.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:43 PM)
I wasn't sure what to make of it at first. Still not 100% sure. I never disliked the move, I just didn't fully understand 'why Santos' because he's cheap.

He's a cheap closer. He's 29. He's good, not great. You have a ML ready replacement waiting in the wings. I'll give KW credit for at least recognizing the value of a 60 inning reliever.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)
He's a cheap closer. He's 29. He's good, not great. You have a ML ready replacement waiting in the wings. I'll give KW credit for at least recognizing the value of a 60 inning reliever.

Thanks for restating what I came to realize thanks to several posters itt, I guess?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)

Did he, though? Did he?

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:48 PM)

I agree J4L. Santos was cheap and controlled, and a decent but not spectacular closer. With the re-pick of Frasor, plus Crain, Reed and others, one of the few areas the Sox had a surplus was good or better RH relievers. And in that crowd, Santos is the one most likely to get you this kind of return. I think I like the move.

But I also think we'll need to take the entire offseason en masse into view before really knowing how well KW did with his plan. At this point, we still don't really know the plan.

QUOTE (bmags @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:50 PM)
Did he, though? Did he?

KW was not going to bend some GM over for Santos. If you recognized that, then you're not all that shocked or disappointed. The White Sox, as currently constructed, will struggle to win 70 games next year. Relievers are so volatile it's hilarious. May as well cash-in while you can.

QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
Like most trades you have to wait a few years to see how it all works out.

Where does Molina start next? AA or AAA?

He only had a handful of starts last year at AA, and it's considered more of a prospect level, so I would assume he's at B'ham for at least a half year (trade deadline callup).

QUOTE (VictoryMC98 @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:59 PM)
I'd say see what the Sox do prior to ST.. He might be able to jump into the rotation next year...

No, that's no good. He should spend at least the first half of next year at AA. No reason at all to rush him.

My fault. You did say next year. Not when next year.

Edited by Jordan4life

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 6, 2011 -> 01:56 PM)
KW was not going to bend some GM over for Santos. If you recognized that, then you're not all that shocked or disappointed. The White Sox, as currently constructed, will struggle to win 70 games next year. Relievers are so volatile it's hilarious. May as well cash-in while you can.

Until they trade Danks or Floyd, that's not correct at all.