Top US Cities

SoxFan1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 10:16 AM)
I've now seen Anchorage mentioned a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, as I have always wanted to visit Alaska, but is Anchorage a booming town or something?

Not necessarily. I lived in Juneau for a few years and visited Anchorage several times. I'd like the idea of living in Anchorage because it's a decent sized city with access to unbelievable fishing and hunting. Plus, I love cold weather and snow.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
I've now seen Anchorage mentioned a couple of times. Don't get me wrong, as I have always wanted to visit Alaska, but is Anchorage a booming town or something?

I think it's kind of a "best of both worlds" type thing in that it's actually a real city but it's in freakin' Alaska. You LICHRALLY only have to drive 5 minutes to see the pristine parts of Alaska. Alaska is absolutely a must-see for everyone. I'll never forget my week there and I plan on going back very soon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)
I think it's kind of a "best of both worlds" type thing in that it's actually a real city but it's in freakin' Alaska. You LICHRALLY only have to drive 5 minutes to see the pristine parts of Alaska. Alaska is absolutely a must-see for everyone. I'll never forget my week there and I plan on going back very soon.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 11:39 AM)

How is the food there? I have it in my head that they'd have incredible food. And I don't get the lichrally thing, if that's a joke or something :lol:

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:47 PM)
How is the food there? I have it in my head that they'd have incredible food. And I don't get the lichrally thing, if that's a joke or something :lol:

Haha, it's just the way I say and type literally. Can't remember where I got it from, been a while. Anywho, the food is great there, especially if you love fresh seafood (obviously). They have an incredible variety of native american inspired dishes all over the place too. I guess one of the problems in general is that a lot of groceries are a bit more expensive because of importing costs, but there's also no tax.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:02 PM)
Haha, it's just the way I say and type literally. Can't remember where I got it from, been a while. Anywho, the food is great there, especially if you love fresh seafood (obviously). They have an incredible variety of native american inspired dishes all over the place too. I guess one of the problems in general is that a lot of groceries are a bit more expensive because of importing costs, but there's also no tax.

I love seafood and meat, so I figure that it has to be great.

I don't get the non-love for LA. It's like Chicago, except on the West Coast with better weather. For fun stuff, there's not one central place you have to drive to. For example, in Chicago, generally it's downtown and some spots on the north side. In LA, literally, you can drive anywhere and find something awesome to do. You got beaches in the beach cities right there, their downtown is not on par with Chicago yet, but it's getting there(it's changed a ton in the past 10 years), and you can literally take a 3 hour drive to San Diego, Vegas, or drive up to the mountains whenever you're bored. Plus Derrick Rose lives out there in the offseason.

LA would be #1 on my list.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 07:20 PM)
For fun stuff, there's not one central place you have to drive to. For example, in Chicago, generally it's downtown and some spots on the north side.

No.

But nonetheless, the difference is you have to drive to all those places in LA. And I can't tell you how much I hate that. Being in a city with good public transport means more than just "it has good public transport", it reflects the way the city is built.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:20 PM)
I don't get the non-love for LA. It's like Chicago, except on the West Coast with better weather. For fun stuff, there's not one central place you have to drive to. For example, in Chicago, generally it's downtown and some spots on the north side. In LA, literally, you can drive anywhere and find something awesome to do. You got beaches in the beach cities right there, their downtown is not on par with Chicago yet, but it's getting there(it's changed a ton in the past 10 years), and you can literally take a 3 hour drive to San Diego, Vegas, or drive up to the mountains whenever you're bored. Plus Derrick Rose lives out there in the offseason.

LA would be #1 on my list.

I agree...it's not perfect by any means...but NY or LA? No f***ing contest.