Dark Horse Trade Proposals

Eminor3rd

Take a walk with me.

Angels are clearly trying to contend, right? Moreso if they land CJ Wilson. They acquired Ianetta after they saw what Napoli did. Ianetta is a lefty masher, and his backup is a promising bat-first catcher named Hank Conger who is also right0handed and has, for whatever reason, received the Napoli treatment from Scioscia to this point.

THE SOLUTION: AJ Pierzynski + $4m to LAA for Hank Conger

Angels get a veteran left-hander to platoon with Ianetta, and someone who Scioscia would LOVE because he's a grindy, pitching-staff friendly, gamer type.

Sox get a better version of Tyler Flowers, and a solid chance that one of them sticks.

What say you?

Also, what other REALISTIC Dark Horse trade proposals can you think of?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we're talking catchers, Sabastian Valle of the Phillies would be a target IF Alexei Ramirez becomes available (the Phils would show great interest if Rollins leaves).

For Alexei I think the Sox could get Valle + two other prospects (Michael Schwimer-pitcher) + 1 other. Thing is I think Valle is still a couple years away. Schwimer is getting close so it would depend on the third guy (Brody Colin-P or Fred Galvis-SS of future would be sweet)...

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 12:06 PM)
There's no doubt in my mind that KW should be targeting Grandal. We're going to need a catcher after next season, and in no way do I trust Flowers to become an everyday catcher. Reds have a need for pitching, and Sox have surplus of guys to get rid of.

I'm definitely on the Grandal bandwagon too. However, I do think Conger would be a nice consolation prize. Similarly, at the cost of AJ and cash, it might be worht it to go that route and save Danks/Floyd to get pitchers back.

Rumor has it that the Braves are shopping for an impact bat and willing to part ways with both Jurrijans and Prado. I really so the White Sox having any use for these two guys. Maybe Jurrijans since he is young cheap starter, but they have a fantastic farm system. I wonder if they would take Thorton and Quentin for some of those good prospects they have over there.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 02:53 PM)
Rumor has it that the Braves are shopping for an impact bat and willing to part ways with both Jurrijans and Prado. I really so the White Sox having any use for these two guys. Maybe Jurrijans since he is young cheap starter, but they have a fantastic farm system. I wonder if they would take Thorton and Quentin for some of those good prospects they have over there.

You know, I know Jurrjens has some red flags for health, but he's only 25. Might not be horrible to grab him the long term. How many year does he have before free agency?

Then again, it could be the Peavy expereince all over agian.

Marlins are now shopping Hanley Ramirez... and looking to add a lefty starter. If they get Pujols they won't have money to sign Buehrle or C.J. Wilson. We could offer Danks and Morel, and whoever else they might want.

Sox desperately need a third baseman. Obviously Hanley doesn't want to play there, but maybe Alexei would.

If I were Kenny I would look for a Danks trade to the Marlins. If we hadn't move Santos either and they hadn't just signed Heath Bell, that would have been a solid addition to the trade.

Obviously this is a Dark Horse people...

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:21 PM)
Marlins are now shopping Hanley Ramirez... and looking to add a lefty starter. If they get Pujols they won't have money to sign Buehrle or C.J. Wilson. We could offer Danks and Morel, and whoever else they might want.

Sox desperately need a third baseman. Obviously Hanley doesn't want to play there, but maybe Alexei would.

If I were Kenny I would look for a Danks trade to the Marlins. If we hadn't move Santos either and they hadn't just signed Heath Bell, that would have been a solid addition to the trade.

Obviously this is a Dark Horse people...

We don't "desperately need a third basemen".

Anyway, I think if anything, I would move Alexei back to 2B, and have Beckham and Morel fight for 3B. Someone needs to push Gordon, and at this point I'm not so sure that Morel wouldn't have a better 2012 than Beckham anyway.

But regardless, this is not happening.

QUOTE (JoeCoolMan24 @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 03:29 PM)
We don't "desperately need a third basemen".

Anyway, I think if anything, I would move Alexei back to 2B, and have Beckham and Morel fight for 3B. Someone needs to push Gordon, and at this point I'm not so sure that Morel wouldn't have a better 2012 than Beckham anyway.

But regardless, this is not happening.

JCM2, do you think Morel is the 3rd base of the future?

QUOTE (Special K @ Dec 7, 2011 -> 04:32 PM)
JCM2, do you think Morel is the 3rd base of the future?

Sure. I hardly think we have seen enough of him to give up on him. I mean, he already plays stellar defense, and September showed us what he is capable of with his bat (8 HR and almost a .900 OPS), then I think he will be just fine at 3B for the future.

I think Morel is certainly a good candidate for third baseman of the future.

His glove is already high level and all his numbers throughout his minor league career project to being a very solid prospect. Why are we ready to dump a young guy after 1 year? He showed improvement as last season went on. Further evidence that he is on the right track.

Morel has a career .300 BA over his minor league career with his last year in Car being .320. He has above average plate discipline and above average speed (25 steals one year). His power numbers may not project as much as you'd want a corner fielder, but with improvement I think he could reach 15-20 homer level...if he is hitting in the .275-.300 range while playing the type of defense he plays you can't argue with that.

I like Morel and want to allow him to continue to develop, especially if we're rebuilding. And if we're rebuilding, moving on Hanley Ramirez is less likely than Minnie Minoso returning to the team.

I think the last thing this team needs to worry about is replacing Brent Morel.

Edited by kwolf68

Outside the box:

Danks to the Royals for Montgomery, Melville and Jeffress. Three guys that have struggled but have a lot of ability if Coop can fix'em.

Generally trading within the division is bad, but the Royals window to contend will close around the same time the Sox are ready to contend again.

There is no way Carlos is on this team come Spring Training. You could see see teams like The Braves, Marlins, Rangers, Cardinals and Red Sox all be in on him. I like our chances of getting a good size haul now that Albert is out of the market. Kenny can pull the Scott Boras move and wait till all the chips have been played. A few teams left out who need some power and boom you have a good package.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:39 PM)
Outside the box:

Danks to the Royals for Montgomery, Melville and Jeffress. Three guys that have struggled but have a lot of ability if Coop can fix'em.

Generally trading within the division is bad, but the Royals window to contend will close around the same time the Sox are ready to contend again.

I like the idea, but I've heard bad things about Montgoemry's stock as of late. Not familiar with Melville.

QUOTE (kwill @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 12:51 PM)
There is no way Carlos is on this team come Spring Training. You could see see teams like The Braves, Marlins, Rangers, Cardinals and Red Sox all be in on him. I like our chances of getting a good size haul now that Albert is out of the market. Kenny can pull the Scott Boras move and wait till all the chips have been played. A few teams left out who need some power and boom you have a good package.

Absolutely. Solid 200 Inning and RBI machines don't grow on trees. If we wait, I think contending teams will pay through the roof for Quentin and Danks. They are way more valuable than we give credit for IMO, and waiting until more FAs sign only makes desperate teams hungrier for their services.