The Hall of Fame

Texsox

14 members have voted

1. 1. What is it?

• List of the greatest players
    • Baseball museum
    • Guardian of baseball integrity
    • Other

I'm not sure, but recently looking over Mark Buehrle's career it makes me wonder what should and should not qualify as a hall of famer. I mean, numbers wise, of course buehrle doesn't get in. But the list of things he accomplished has been matched by very, very few pitchers. I mean, is it the hall of the best players in the game? or is it the Hall of Fame

To me, Roger Maris is one of the most famous names in baseball history, yet he's not in the hall of fame because his career numbers didn't live up to the standard. I'm not suggesting he SHOULD be in the hall, nor Buerhle, I just think it's interesting to think about - that a guy like Maris who's surrounded by and created baseball lore - isn't in the hall.

I really believe it should be a celebration of what makes baseball great, not just what players did. There should be something that shows the value the person had to baseball as a game, not just what they did. That usually means integrity, it's about being a ambassador for the game. Guys like Rose and Sosa hurt baseball, guys like Baines and Buehrle improved the game. In other words it should be not only the stats they produced but the intangibles as well. Don't s*** on the game and expect to be enshrined. I would prefer future generations to see the best in everything, including character.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 02:54 PM)
Please tell me this was sarcasm?

Have they changed their standards? It was the hardest to get into. It was based on winning tournaments and pretty much nothing else.

The LPGA, by contrast, has hard-and-fast criteria for induction: Earn 27 points, or you don't get in. (Points are earned thusly: 2 points for winning a major; 1 point for winning a "regular" tournament, the scoring title or the Player of the Year award).

No voting, just put up the results and you are in. It would seem like you need to win about 20 tournaments or more with a few majors tossed in.

Take, for example, Dottie Pepper. Pepper won 17 times in her LPGA career, including three majors. She won a scoring title and a Player of the Year award, plus a money title and played on six Solheim Cup teams. Yet she's not in the Hall of Fame. She earned "only" 22 points. Curtis Strange had a very similar career on the PGA Tour. He won 17 tournaments, including two majors (one fewer than Pepper); he never won a scoring title and was Player of the Year once; he did win three money titles and was on five Ryder Cup teams. If the LPGA points system applied to Strange, he'd have 20 points, two fewer than Pepper. But Pepper isn't in the hall of fame, Strange is.

Consider Laura Davies. A 20-time winner with four majors who was Player of the Year once. I think everyone will agree that any PGA Tour player who won four majors and 20 titles, plus a Player of the Year award, would be in the hall of fame. But Davies isn't. She has "only" 25 points, two shy of the 27 points required of LPGA Tour golfers.

I think I stand by my belief that the LPGA gas the strictest standards. I also choose to not debate SS on whether we consider the LPGA a major sport, I will concede that point. But I will say I believe it is legit enough for this comparison.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)
I think I stand by my belief that the LPGA gas the strictest standards. I also choose to not debate SS on whether we consider the LPGA a major sport, I will concede that point. But I will say I believe it is legit enough for this comparison.

See, you're doing this simply for the chance to debate. You knew from the very instant you posted that nobody else thinks of the LPGA as a major sport.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
See, you're doing this simply for the chance to debate. You knew from the very instant you posted that nobody else thinks of the LPGA as a major sport.

Yes, I knew someone would post that baseball has the strictest standards. I withdraw my comment, I will agree with the previous poster, baseball has the highest standards of any major sport.

Of the minor sports, the LPGA has the toughest standards, I do not believe there can be any debating that point.

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 07:50 AM)

Yes, I knew someone would post that baseball has the strictest standards.

I withdraw my comment, I will agree with the previous poster, baseball has the highest standards of any major sport.

Of the minor sports, the LPGA has the toughest standards, I do not believe there can be any debating that point.

I'd never looked into it before, but given the evidence, I agree :lol:

QUOTE (Tex @ Dec 8, 2011 -> 09:51 PM)

The LPGA does have an advantage when it comes to defining the criteria for getting in the HOF. The major sports aren't individual sports so you can't go by just wins. If that was thew case there would only be Yankees in the HOF.

If you want to go to individual sports how about track and field. Here are the criteria:

World record holder;

American record holder;

World champion;

Olympic champion;

World or American leader in event(s) for three or more years;

Winner of four or more USA national open championships; and/or

You really have to be the elite to be in this group.