Sox Post Winter Meetings

Marty34

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:47 AM)
Will everyone be happy if Kenny did land this Betances guy for John Danks?

How good is Betances?

I'm starting to waffle. The more I read, and the more opinions I get, there seems to be a good consensus that he ends up a reliever. Likely a high-leverage type reliever, but that really isn't what the Sox need a this point. If he was the only player going the Sox way in said deal, I don't think I'd like it.

QUOTE (TheHugeUnit @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:04 PM)
I've seen Betances pitch often. He's the type who could be very good or very bad. Something along the lines of Daniel Cabrera. Huge pitcher, huge stuff, control problems. Daniel Cabrera was a really highly thought of prospect cause he had stuff that was just awesome. If Dellin can harness some control you could be looking at a right handed Randy Johnson as a ceiling or a Daniel Cabrera floor. Wide range there I know but I like Betances, he's a home grown guy from right here in Brooklyn, grew up a Yankees fan. Went to David Wells perfect game and all. I hope we hold onto him. At the most and I don't mean to s*** on Danks here, cause I've dreamed of him coming to the Yankees for the past year and a half... well dream is an overstatement but I think/hope you understand what I mean, but Dellin is the most you'll get out of the Yankees. The Yankees would trade Betances before they trade Noesi too. Noesi is throwing 96, touching 98 in winter ball. The FO views him as better than Nova as well. As for Dellin, you'd be trading Danks for a guy who has a 10% chance at being a star and that right there is worth it in the end if you know anything about how it works. IMO if the Yankees and White Sox trade it will be a package of three guys and none of those three nor Williams or Sanchez will be moved.

Thanks for your first hand report on Betances. I had never heard of him. I'm hoping for the Sox to get good value from a trade when dealing Danks. Perhaps the Yankees can be given the opportunity to work out an extension with Danks.

QUOTE (Greyone @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:21 PM)
And you know absolutely nothing on what the Yankees will give up. Danks has the ceiling of being the Yanks second best pitcher tomorrow. With the Yanks offence he could be better than CC. He has had zero run support, and has had no luck with the Sox the past two years. I totally dislike folks who deal in absolutes, you know as much as everybody else, unless you work for the Yankees.

Well first everyone knows Brian Cashman will not trade Montero or Banuelos for anyone but Felix or Kershaw or somoene along those lines, a true legit 100% no question about it ace pitcher. I'm not saying straight up either but in a package for a guy like that. So I do know he's not going to give up either of those guys. I do work within the scouting department tho, I'm not saying I have Brian Cashman or DO on my speed dial or even Mark Newman.

It's just Brian Cashman doesn't go about his business like that. He doesn't make a trade unless that doesn't make sense. As for Hamels yeah they're obviously waiting on him... Thats why they're not going to extend Danks if they get him. Plugging Danks into the rotation now and filling that spot with Hamels next year. The YES Network is in the process of going national soon, maybe within four or five years. That will mean basically a freaking TON of money, maybe $300 million extra a year.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 12:33 PM)
Thanks for your first hand report on Betances. I had never heard of him. I'm hoping for the Sox to get good value from a trade when dealing Danks. Perhaps the Yankees can be given the opportunity to work out an extension with Danks.

You're welcome. I enjoy the minors more than the majors actually. Thats why I got into this stuff. Betances would be good value, it's just I see Cashman doing everything to not trade him, but the Yankees won't extend Danks.

KW will not trade Danks until Darvish is finished. Once the winner of Darvish is named then you'll see KW shop Danks... Assuming KW is smart. haha

Edited by TheHugeUnit

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 02:41 PM)
MLBTR says that the Blue Jays are focused on snatching up Gio. If AA pulls him off the market, that's good news for Danks' trade value to the big name contenders.

Then again, if AA fleeces someone, it could set a low precedent...

Doubt it. Word is the A's want kings ransom for Gio.

I can see the Phillies dealing Hamels if the return for Gonzalez is pretty good. The SP market looks like Tor, Tex, NYY, Bos, KC and Cin are darkhorses. Pitchers on the market, Gonzalez, Danks, Floyd, Darvish, Garza, and maybe Hamels. I think Gonzalez goes to Tor, Darvish goes to Tex, Garza to Bos, Hamels/Danks to NYY/KC, Floyd to Cin.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 03:20 PM)
I can see the Phillies dealing Hamels if the return for Gonzalez is pretty good. The SP market looks like Tor, Tex, NYY, Bos, KC and Cin are darkhorses. Pitchers on the market, Gonzalez, Danks, Floyd, Darvish, Garza, and maybe Hamels. I think Gonzalez goes to Tor, Darvish goes to Tex, Garza to Bos, Hamels/Danks to NYY/KC, Floyd to Cin.

Please stop.

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 03:32 PM)
I don't think Hamels re-signs with the Phillies and I'd be surprised if they just lets him walk away.

If they trade him, it would be at the deadline after a disaster of a 2012 season. It's a tough bind, but winning next year for them is top priority.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 03:36 PM)
That's nice. And he's still not going anywhere in a trade. The Phillies are in full-blown win-now mode, as they should be.

I heard Gammons say last week that they have interest in Gonzalez and that would allow them to deal Hamels. Not out of the realm

Edited by Marty34

QUOTE (Marty34 @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 03:59 PM)
I heard Gammons say last week that they have interest in Gonzalez and and that would allow them to deal Hamels. Not out of the realm

If there's even a shred of validity to that rumor, all it would mean is that the Phillies are attempting to create another fearsome 4-some for 2012. The Phillies trading Hamels makes about as much sense as the Padres attempting to sign Pujols.

QUOTE (CaliSoxFanViaSWside @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 07:26 PM)
I read the guy on the Sox that got the most interest at the meeting was Lillibridge. That in itself shows how much trouble we are in.

Nah, not really. That just means that other GMs see him as affordable from a trade perspective. Danks would still net us waaay more, but there are fewer teams in the market for him because he's going to cost a lot in terms of prospects.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 04:37 PM)
I'm cool with Sheppers, Loux, Banuelos, Betances, or Montero.

Seriously, get some of those.

I'm guessing Montero is completely off-limits, and Banuelos isn't far behind. I think Betances is probably a bit overrated, so I can see Cashman ultimately dealing him. Scheppers seems reasonable too. Not familiar with Loux.

People said Sanchez is off-limits, but isn't he just a worse, further off version of Montero? If I'm Cashman, I have to at least consider Betances + Sanchez for Danks. I mean, I know he only has one year of control, but picking up Danks would solve a ton of problems for NYY next year, and he'd be giving up a redundant future DH and a pitcher with an injury history that he hopes turns into Danks. Right? Am I out in left field?

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 12:02 AM)
Don't forget that KW and company seriously considered drafting Loux but medical issues caused the team to pass on him.

& is he better now? And is he major league ready. The guy I see picthed at A ball

Edited by elrockinMT