Charlie Weis Thread

Weis was know as being arrogant from the moment he stepped on ND's campus. Could he be a nice guy when meeting fans. I'm sure he could. Most people aren't an ass ALL the time. But I believe it was his arrogance that got in his way. A little humility may have given him a different perspective.

This recruiting story is true and gives a fair representation on how he handled recruits and their families. The story was told by the father of the player.

Michigan OL Michael Schofield is from the Chicago area and was a ND fan his whole life. It was his dream to play at ND. He was recruited by Notre Dame and Michigan, among others. He had visited Michigan and really liked it. But he didn't want to make any commitment until he got to visit ND. He had been to campus and games before, but not on a recruiting visit (I believe it was still unofficial) where he had a chance to talk to the coaches and get a deeper perspective. Michael and his family got the campus tour and talked to various coaches and administrators and really liked what they saw. Then he went into Weis' office to meet with the coach.

Weis went on and on about the tradition of Notre Dame and how great they had been and were going to be. Typical recruiting stuff. His father stated he laid it on so thick though that it seemed a little off for some reason. Weis asked him when he was going to commit to Notre Dame. When Michael told him he still wanted to visit Michigan again and possibly another school or two, Weis appeared to get irritated. He went back to how Notre Dame is the perfect place and there should be no reason he would pick anywhere else. His tone was bordering on condescending. Then he looked at him and said (I'm paraphrasing) Michael, can you give me one good reason why you should not pick ND? Why would you pick or even visit anywhere else? He came across as more irritated and condescending the more he talked. When Michael told him that he liked everything ND has to offer but its his life and he wanted to be sure before making a commitment, Weis snapped with something to the effect of...

OK Michael that's fine. You do what you have to do. But I'm going to tell you that we fully expect you to be in this Notre Dame class. Then he looked at his father and said I don't see why he won't just commit right now. Mr. Schofield replied "I think Michael just told you why." Weis replied "then go visit the other places that don't hold a candle to this place. And if for some reason you choose another school, I expect you personally to call me and tell me why that school is better than ND. You owe that to me if this is the direction you want to go.

With that the Schofield family left. Everyone of them including mom, left not liking Coach Weis much and thinking much less of ND than when the visit had started. Ultimately he visited Michigan again and committed to the Wolverines and never looked back. They never called Coach Weis personally, but when they told one of the ND assistants, his reply was "Coach Weis is going to be really pissed at you if you don't call and that may affect whether ND even looks at your brother (they had a younger son who was a OL also)". Those conversations just cemented that he made the right choice by not going to ND.

That's not being arrogrant or being an asshole--it's using a poor recruiting strategy.

A couple of thoughts on Weis (I'm an ND fan who followed him pretty closely):

A) Overall he's a pretty decent recruiter, particularly for skill position talent. However, Kelly's early success at recruiting might show that it's not as hard to recruit at ND as Bob Davie and particularly Ty Willingham made it look.

B) Had some difficulty recruiting line talent, particularly in the front seven.

C) Never played the game. Does not seem to involved in the physical side of things (i.e. strength and conditioning). Some of our defensive linemen never did leg lifts under Weis. Weak overall training regimen.

D) Never has terribly phyisical teams. As much as you'd see fantastic development over time in his QBs and receivers and tight ends (see Quinn, Clausen, Stovall, Shark, Golden Tate, Carlson, Fasano, Rudolph), you'd never seen any development in any of his linemen. Guys like Sam Young were about as good as freshmen as they were as 4 year starter seniors. Then you see a guy like Trevor Robinson (senior guard this year) who really blossomed over two years under Kelly.

E) Despite the NFL OC pedigree, has a surprisingly poor understanding of building a running game. Rushing plays are very vanilla and there's almost no misdirection in his offense. One time he tried to implement the spread option to hilariously bad results (see Georgia Tech 2007). Plays like the zone read aren't in his offense.

F) Look for Dayne Crist to transfer to Kansas. Great kid, but a mediocre QB. I don't think he'll have very good luck at Kansas.

G) No real offensive philosophy, look for team to lack fundamentals.

Basically:

-desperately needs a good OL coach

-desperately needs a good defensive coordinator

-desperately needs a good S/C coach

-needs to have learned to listen to those guys and defer to them

-Overall he is far more suited for the NFL than the NCAA.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 04:43 PM)
He's fat so people don't like him, just like Jenks.

He's like 3 Bobby Jenks. He has a butt in the back and in the front. I dont know what it is but its hard for me to respect and follow someone who takes such bad care of themselves.

Side note/question: Crist to Kansas? He doesn't want to sit out a year. Wouldn't he rather go to a FCS school so that he can start right away?

Crist has graduated already, so as long as he enrolls in a graduate program that ND does not offer, he will not have to sit out a year.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
Caricature of Weis on front page of the Trib sports section today, and a full page interview on page 3. Ah yes, now I remember where my Notre Dame hatred came from.

We don't really like him either.

Sounds like Kansas is getting an old guy set in his ways.

I guess he will be the offensive coordinator here, so that assures bad running game according to what you all said.

I'd suspect KU's best season(s) under Weis would be .500.

Is that a correct assumption?

Remember, every year Ks has to play Okla. Ok State, Texas, West Virginia, TCU, K-State.

I guess there's a chance he could get the program to equal with some of these teams like Iowa State, KState, maybe TCU, Baylor?

• 2 weeks later...