Danny Wright...CLOSER?

RibbieRubarb

Our 9th inning stopper maybe already in our line-up.

His numbers as a starter are eerily similar to Eric Gagne and their "stuff" is similar, also

Eric always had a fastball with 95-98 velocity, but you rarely saw it as a starter because he paced himself and his arm.

Danny also has a fastball in the 95-97 range, if he was only in one inning, add to that a knuckle-cureve and the knowledge he only will pitch the one inning. I think he could make a great closer. Sandy Alomar said it himself that as a reliever Danny could add 3 to 4 mph on his fastball.

If he will be groomed into a closer, let him do it at AAA Charlotte. They really don't have a closer (Munoz, Ginter) and he could get more reps without added pressure of a playoff race.

Escellent point. He will also gain more confidence.

The reason Gagne is so dominant is because he changes speeds from 70-96 mph. Danny doesn't vary his speeds enough to be that effecting. He leaves too many pitches right over the plate and needs to be more confident with his breaking ball. For him to be a good closer, he's going to need alot of setup work to prove that he won't cough up big innings like he sometimes does.

I don't think this is something you tinker with in the middle of a division race

Let him do it at AAA like cerbaho said, or let him close games all of next spring and see where that gets him. Now's not the time to screw around, as a team out of the race could afford to do right now.

use Wright in the sixth, seventh or eighth.

he won't have time to prove he can close until next season.

now is not the time to be messing around with that job -- unless the pen melts down. Marte and Gordon can handle the job.

But Wright could fill a very critical role as a right-handed setup man. THAT would really help this club

If he will be groomed into a closer, let him do it at AAA Charlotte. They really don't have a closer (Munoz, Ginter) and he could get more reps without added pressure of a playoff race.

I don't think this is something you tinker with in the middle of a division race

Let him do it at AAA like cerbaho said, or let him close games all of next spring and see where that gets him. Now's not the time to screw around, as a team out of the race could afford to do right now.

Bingo, and bingo. :cheers

Its always nice having a good strong arm out of the pen and thats what Wright has.

You could say the Dodgers should of groomed Gagne into a closer, but look what happened.

Right now the Sox have two options, Wright or Ginter and I'm happy with either of the two out of the pen. I think either would contribute and I am excited Cotts will be joining the rotation.

Oh ya Cerb...I disagree, Munoz or Majewski can close and do it damn well. Wow did Majewski impress me.

Its always nice having a good strong arm out of the pen and thats what Wright has.

You could say the Dodgers should of groomed Gagne into a closer, but look what happened.

Right now the Sox have two options, Wright or Ginter and I'm happy with either of the two out of the pen. I think either would contribute and I am excited Cotts will be joining the rotation.

Oh ya Cerb...I disagree, Munoz or Majewski can close and do it damn well. Wow did Majewski impress me.

Chisoxfn, you and I are going to have to just agree to disagree on Ginter. I see nothing there.

Btw, how did he do on his call up? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

Chisoxfn, you and I are going to have to just agree to disagree on Ginter. I see nothing there.

Btw, how did he do on his call up? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :D

pitched about 3 innings....

Neither Munoz or Majewski are being hailed as future closers, so it's dumb to let them close games when Wright, who most likely could be a closer, is there.

I'm not high on Majewski. We lost him three times in the Rule V, so the Sox aren't very high on him.

QUOTE (AllStarAlomar12 @ Aug 11 2003, 03:01 PM)

If Cotts is ready, maybe they'll send Wright to AAA. 

The only person it depends on is Miguel Olivo. If Olivo is healthy, Jaime Burke gets sent back to AAA. If not, Olivo goes on the DL and Cotts comes up anyway.

From Sox notes:

Olivo on the mend: Although Miguel Olivo said his right shoulder felt “100 percent better” than Friday, the rookie catcher was given one more day of rest during Sunday’s game against Oakland. Olivo bruised his right shoulder in Tuesday’s victory over Kansas City, tripping on catcher Brent Mayne’s leg when he scored from second on a single to center.

“Any time (Manuel) wants to put me in, I’m ready to play,” said Olivo with a smile.

--- Miguel certainly think's he's ready, check the line up tonight.

--- Barring a trade Danny Wright is the best we've got for the 5th spot. It's been a miserable year for him; injury, bad breaks and some knuckle head pitches. But he still has the stuff that won 14 games last year, too much to give up on.