If you were Brooks Boyer

SOXOBAMA

Promotions for the thousands of college students that live within 15 minutes of the Cell couldn't hurt. Something like $5 tickets with a college I.d. It wont generate a whole lot of money, but it never hurts to try to generate some buzz among young people. It'll expose new people to the Cell and hopefully expand the fanbase. A lot of those kids become permanent transplants. Converting them could happen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:09 PM)
Promotions for the thousands of college students that live within 15 minutes of the Cell couldn't hurt. Something like $5 tickets with a college I.d. It wont generate a whole lot of money, but it never hurts to try to generate some buzz among young people. It'll expose new people to the Cell and hopefully expand the fanbase. A lot of those kids become permanent transplants. Converting them could happen.

Hopefully the positive experience at the ballpark will outweigh the product on the field.

I always thought it would be fun if you could go catch a Sox game during the day (like a Sunday or something). Then after the game, those with proper credentials:(tickets, passes, etc.) sold prior; stick around for a concert at the cell. Tailgating, Baseball Game, Concert, Booze, Dogs with Grilled Onions–that's an awesome Sunday.

possible partnership with The Loop, maybe bring back Dahl as the MC.

Edited by pktmotion

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,1788782.story

Not revealing the slogan until it's clearer what KW's plan is...which u can't blame him, if they come up with a "competitive" analogy again and dump half the veterans, he's going to look stupid and be mocked.

So...apparently the plan (with the $127 million payroll) was to draw 2.5 million in attendance (they ended up just a notch over 2 million), which would have had us at 6th in the AL and 14th in the majors.

Right now, you'd have to project 1.7-1.8 is the much more likely scenario heading into 2012.

There's no issue in making Penn State jokes - I use Sandusky's name all the time now (i.e. The Bears will get Sandusky'd by Tim Tebow this weekend).

- $1 hot dog Thursdays each Thursday.

- Post a promotion only on social media for games during the week that they know will not sell well and offer $7-$10 upper deck seats and $7-$10 off on lower deck seats.

- Make Kid's Days like they used to be...reduced price tickets (I think it was a dollar per ticket if you were under 13) and get the players to sign autographs.

- Bring back Fuji Film Photo Day.

That's actually a terrific idea. Seriously. You should email that to Brooks.

I've had a similar discussion before--not with Brooks but with Scott Reifert. I told him that I think the "fringe areas" of Sox territory are an untapped market. In addition to the idea I listed above, I've talked about how a lot of those places I've mentioned don't get all of the Sox games on TV.

They are all in the Sox' "home area", so their games are blacked out on MLB Extra Innings. However, most of those areas don't get the games that are on WCIU and some of them (Indy specifically) don't even get the games on CSN. So you have a major city in your "home area" that can only get 25 or so games a year on TV. No wonder most people in Indy are Reds fans.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 08:24 AM)
I've had a similar discussion before--not with Brooks but with Scott Reifert. I told him that I think the "fringe areas" of Sox territory are an untapped market. In addition to the idea I listed above, I've talked about how a lot of those places I've mentioned don't get all of the Sox games on TV.

They are all in the Sox' "home area", so their games are blacked out on MLB Extra Innings. However, most of those areas don't get the games that are on WCIU and some of them (Indy specifically) don't even get the games on CSN. So you have a major city in your "home area" that can only get 25 or so games a year on TV. No wonder most people in Indy are Reds fans.

yup, I totally hate this, Cincy is a little over an hour away and I still don't get to see many Sox games on TV. I try to get to around 5 games a year, it's just a bit far to drive (we go up and back the same day/night) so it really kills the weekend. We did the Ozzie plan in 2006 and it was fun but brutal with all the driving. We always hope for Reds/Sox interleague b/c it's so much nicer to drive down to Cincy.

QUOTE (MEANS @ Dec 12, 2011 -> 07:38 AM)
yup, I totally hate this, Cincy is a little over an hour away and I still don't get to see many Sox games on TV. I try to get to around 5 games a year, it's just a bit far to drive (we go up and back the same day/night) so it really kills the weekend. We did the Ozzie plan in 2006 and it was fun but brutal with all the driving. We always hope for Reds/Sox interleague b/c it's so much nicer to drive down to Cincy.

Instead of those lame t shirts that hardly anyone has a chance to get. I think the sox should give away tickets , cash prizes and jersies at the park besides the 1/2 the pot. Do the theory that if you gave away the seats you'd still make money. Not all the seats but the ones usually aren't filled also if you are attending a game sitting in the upper deck, you love your sox and should be rewarded so how about giving away some scout seats as prizes at the ball park. What sox fan wouldn't enjoy the possiblity of being moved from the upper deck to a scout seat during the game , Or at a future date. That would perk some interest and make our loyal fans excited for another game and be rewarded at the game for their support of the Whitesox.

QUOTE (MuckFinnesota @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 11:16 AM)
There's no issue in making Penn State jokes - I use Sandusky's name all the time now (i.e. The Bears will get Sandusky'd by Tim Tebow this weekend).

- $1 hot dog Thursdays each Thursday.

- Post a promotion only on social media for games during the week that they know will not sell well and offer $7-$10 upper deck seats and $7-$10 off on lower deck seats.

- Make Kid's Days like they used to be...reduced price tickets (I think it was a dollar per ticket if you were under 13) and get the players to sign autographs.

- Bring back Fuji Film Photo Day.

both bolded ideas are currently used by the sox as of the 2011 season

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 02:17 PM)
Have a Rockford night/Peoria night/Champaign night/Indianapolis night/South Bend night, where you have packages that include round-trip bus ride plus ticket plus food.

The local radio stations here in Rockford typically do Cubs bus trips during the summer. I don't remember hearing any for the Sox though.

For some reason retailers think that everyone here is a Cubs fan. Almost every store I go into I'll see tons of Cubs stuff and maybe one rack with a few Sox shirts on it.

We are also pretty evenly split with Bears/Packers fans so they sometimes do trips to each of those stadiums as well.

QUOTE (Iwritecode @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 11:55 AM)
The local radio stations here in Rockford typically do Cubs bus trips during the summer. I don't remember hearing any for the Sox though.

For some reason retailers think that everyone here is a Cubs fan. Almost every store I go into I'll see tons of Cubs stuff and maybe one rack with a few Sox shirts on it.

We are also pretty evenly split with Bears/Packers fans so they sometimes do trips to each of those stadiums as well.

I would be interested in a Rockford area bus. For me the most difficult part of a Sox game is the drive. I literally spend more time in the car than at the game. If that time were spent relaxing on a bus, I could go to more games.

I vote for "Bring Your Fat Kids to the Park" day.

Here's why: every time there's a dance-off between innings, the fat guy/kid wins. Always. The only time the outcome is ever in question is when they can't find a fat kid, and then the whole thing is up for grabs. The best you can guess in that scenario is that the first d-bag to whip out "the worm" (and you know how to do that how again, loser?) will probably win.

So, how to build suspense? You make all the kids in the dance-off fat kids. Not such a slam-dunk NOW, is it, Sox fans, so used to impressing your non-Sox fan friends who don't know any better by predicting "the fat kid will win! Mark my words!"

Oh, and none of them are allowed to do "the worm", or else they get tazed.

So right there it's like Dancing with the Stars meets Biggest Loser crossed with The Hunger Games. Me likey.

Now, f*** me if that isn't the definition of entertainment. Here's my prediction: it will be ten times more entertaining than what's going to be on the field all season...

Edited by LVSoxFan

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)

Here's why: every time there's a dance-off between innings, the fat guy/kid wins. Always. The only time the outcome is ever in question is when they can't find a fat kid, and then the whole thing is up for grabs. The best you can guess in that scenario is that the first d-bag to whip out "the worm" (and you know how to do that how again, loser?) will probably win.

So, how to build suspense? You make all the kids in the dance-off fat kids. Not such a slam-dunk NOW, is it, Sox fans, so used to impressing your non-Sox fan friends who don't know any better by predicting "the fat kid will win! Mark my words!"

So right there it's like Dancing with the Stars meets Biggest Loser crossed with The Hunger Games. Me likey.

Now, f*** me if that isn't the definition of entertainment. Here's my prediction: it will be ten times more entertaining than what's going to be on the field all season...

Please, please, please let this dream come true.

QUOTE (LVSoxFan @ Dec 13, 2011 -> 05:05 PM)

I wonder if you changed "fat" to "black" or "jewish" or "gay" if it would be as funny.