If you were Brooks Boyer

SOXOBAMA

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:11 PM)
I wonder if you changed "fat" to "black" or "jewish" or "gay" if it would be as funny.

Really??

What if I said yes, though I'd lying. Though I would assume i can take anyone that fits into a category and there'd be a funny individual or indiviuals. For example, I'm Jewish and I am a horrible dancer. Laugable bad. But I don't have a desire to dhow how bad I am in front of anyone let alone thousands of people.

But I am intrigued of the fat people dancing on top of dugouts. Before you get offended, maybe some of these people enjoy the attention. Bottom line is they are not being forced to do anything. And the fact that fat people keep winning is great. More power to them if that's what it takes to win silly contests.

Bob

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 10:58 PM)
Really??

What if I said yes, though I'd lying. Though I would assume i can take anyone that fits into a category and there'd be a funny individual or individuals. For example, I'm Jewish and I am a horrible dancer. Laugable bad. But I don't have a desire to dhow how bad I am in front of anyone let alone thousands of people.

But I am intrigued of the fat people dancing on top of dugouts. Before you get offended, maybe some of these people enjoy the attention. Bottom line is they are not being forced to do anything. And the fact that fat people keep winning is great. More power to them if that's what it takes to win silly contests.

Bob

You don't think that you dehumanize someone by laughing at them because of their size?

QUOTE (knightni @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 11:27 PM)
You don't think that you dehumanize someone by laughing at them because of their size?

Intrigued isn't necessarily the same as laughing.

Maybe the notion that people who are overweight but willingly choose to make a spectacle of themselves (are they being laughed at or is the audience/crowd laughing "with them," it seems pretty clear)...what would motivate someone to do that?

It's more of a psychology question.

Certainly African-American fans at White Sox games (the few that still go), would probably never dream of dancing on the dugout tops and "performing" for a predominantly caucasian White Sox crowd, would they? Certainly not as a group, where all the contestants were black, grouped together.

Just like you MIGHT have the kids from Special Olympics doing that...but it would be part of a fundraiser/charity/make-a-wish type program where NOBODY would be laughing consciously AT THE KIDS, at least one would hope not, although some fans have gotten reputations for being quite cruel when they're drinking.

Seeing as the thread has been derailed, I'll suggest a few ideas to spark conversation:

More Promo items. And not just on weekends. Plenty of teams do "tshirt tuesdays/thursdays". The Sox should be trying harder to get people to come on weekdays.

More DIFFERENT promo items. Most of the promo items are greatest hits selections. Kids typically get the kid size jerseys. miller does a beer man bobblehead evey year, opening day is car flags. we get a bobblehead or two a year now. green hats on 1/2 way to st. patricks day. why no offer some different swag? i wouldnt mind mini-statues of the other sox statues, or replica jerseys for adults. golf towels, or tailgate coolers could work as well.....

more "ticket packs". maybe bundle parking(since everyone seems to b**** about how much parking costs) with a ticket 4pack.

ticket discount is you take the cta to the game. maybe $5 off when you hand in an expired/empty cta card on weekday games.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 15, 2011 -> 07:43 AM)
Seeing as the thread has been derailed, I'll suggest a few ideas to spark conversation:

More Promo items. And not just on weekends. Plenty of teams do "tshirt tuesdays/thursdays". The Sox should be trying harder to get people to come on weekdays.

More DIFFERENT promo items. Most of the promo items are greatest hits selections. Kids typically get the kid size jerseys. miller does a beer man bobblehead evey year, opening day is car flags. we get a bobblehead or two a year now. green hats on 1/2 way to st. patricks day. why no offer some different swag? i wouldnt mind mini-statues of the other sox statues, or replica jerseys for adults. golf towels, or tailgate coolers could work as well.....

more "ticket packs". maybe bundle parking(since everyone seems to b**** about how much parking costs) with a ticket 4pack.

ticket discount is you take the cta to the game. maybe $5 off when you hand in an expired/empty cta card on weekday games.

I have been bombarded with these offers this fall.