AJ wants to stay/win with Sox

southsider2k5

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-12...ynski-white-sox

Pierzynski upbeat about White Sox future

Catcher sorry to see teammates go but still believes team can win

December 08, 2011|By Mark Gonzales, Chicago Tribune reporter

DALLAS — After watching his team's top starting pitcher and closer depart this week, catcher A.J. Pierzynski had two wishes.

"I want to be with the White Sox," said Pierzynski, who, with Paul Konerko, are the lone members of the 2005 World Series team still on the active roster.

"I want to win with the White Sox."

The latter task will be tougher after the departures of Mark Buehrle and Sergio Santos.

Pierzynski and Konerko, among the few productive returning players, have full no-trade rights. One industry source said getting those players to agree to a trade and dealing them would further fracture a Sox fan base that has had its patience tested by three consecutive non-playoff seasons and a handful of big signings that haven't paid off.

The Sox already are trying to entice fans for 2012 with season ticket prices that have been cut by as much as 31 percent.

But general manager Ken Williams, trying to trim payroll and rebuild a pitching staff with cheaper high-end talent, will continue to listen to offers for left-hander John Danks and righty Gavin Floyd, as well as right fielder Carlos Quentin and left-handed reliever Matt Thornton.

That will place further emphasis on rebound years from Adam Dunn and Alex Rios, as well as a full return from tender-armed Jake Peavy.

"Sure, it's tough when your manager (Ozzie Guillen), Burls and Sergio leave," Pierzynski said in a telephone interview. "But there will be some young guys competing for jobs, and they can get better. And we can get some guys to bounce back and get back to their normal years."

Williams said he didn't believe the Sox took a big step back. He pointed to the depth in the bullpen and the acquisition of Nestor Molina from the Blue Jays in the Santos deal as a future starting pitcher.

"It already has been debated," Williams said. "I'm used to that. But we've got a little bit of a track record of being able to put together pretty good pitching staffs, and hopefully we'll continue to do so and see where we end up on the offensive side and if we can balance it out."

I'm glad I am not a person who ever thinks about contracts.

Who gives a f*** if he makes 6 mill a year? It's not your money. Ticket prices are not going down; parking is not going down whether he's here or not.

Pujols obviously won't be worth squat for the last few years of his deal.

They are paying him to try to win a couple world championships and if they do, he'll have been worth it.

If they win 2 WS in the next six years, they won't give a frick that he hits like Dunn the final 4 years.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 10:37 PM)
I'm glad I am not a person who ever thinks about contracts.

Who gives a f*** if he makes 6 mill a year? It's not your money. Ticket prices are not going down; parking is not going down whether he's here or not.

Pujols obviously won't be worth squat for the last few years of his deal.

They are paying him to try to win a couple world championships and if they do, he'll have been worth it.

If they win 2 WS in the next six years, they won't give a frick that he hits like Dunn the final 4 years.

Did I miss something? Did you just throw AJ, Pujols, Dunn, Parking, and two World Series championships into a post? I'm impressed. One of us is drinking heavily....I hope. Am I the only one lost here?

QUOTE (shakes @ Dec 9, 2011 -> 11:04 PM)
Did I miss something? Did you just throw AJ, Pujols, Dunn, Parking, and two World Series championships into a post? I'm impressed. One of us is drinking heavily....I hope. Am I the only one lost here?

Unfortunately, that's sober greg. You wouldn't want to witness a drunk greg.