Chicago... The 51st State?

HuskyCaucasian

Discuss...

HuffPo- Illinois, Chicago Split? Proposal To Make Chicago A State Shows Divide In Illinois

As a resident of the Cook County "Pan Handle", I wish we would break from Cook/Chicago, but that movement seems to have died.

(Actually, I am thinking I should have posted this in The Filibuster, please move if needed)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 06:45 AM)
Discuss...

HuffPo- Illinois, Chicago Split? Proposal To Make Chicago A State Shows Divide In Illinois

As a resident of the Cook County "Pan Handle", I wish we would break from Cook/Chicago, but that movement seems to have died.

(Actually, I am thinking I should have posted this in The Filibuster, please move if needed)

I'm pretty sure this is forbidden but I forgot where...perhaps it's mentioned in the Constitution.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 10:04 AM)
I'm pretty sure this is forbidden but I forgot where...perhaps it's mentioned in the Constitution.

it's not forbidden, but i think it requires a vote in which the majority of the county votes in favor of letting these areas leave cook.

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 08:08 AM)
it's not forbidden, but i think it requires a vote in which the majority of the county votes in favor of letting these areas leave cook.

I'm referring to forming a new state out of an existing one, not seceding from a county.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 08:45 AM)
Discuss...

call their bluff and let them leave.

of course, the suburbs won't want to be in a state with needy downstaters, so we will have Illinois broke into 3 states.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 10:38 AM)
I realize that but I read something not long ago that mentioned that this sort of thing can no longer occur. Maybe I'm mistaken.

There have been a lot of talk recently about some states splitting (California, parts of Oregon and Washington). It can be done, but I dot remember the process.

When I lived in the very far southern portion of cook county I hated it. We had nothing in common with the rest of cook county, until they emptied all the Chicago projects into mine and the surrounding suburbs turning them all into s***. The amount of taxes we paid for things like County Hospitals, which were all in the city, was an astronomical part of our tax bill. I am so glad I finally got out of Cook County.

Wierd thing is, politically it actually makes a lot of sense for one state to split itself into 2 at the national level, because that would double your power in the Senate. However, at the State level it is pretty darn foolish, because of the cost associated with setting up and operating a 2nd independent state level government, which isn't cheap.

QUOTE (Alpha Dog @ Dec 11, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
When I lived in the very far southern portion of cook county I hated it. We had nothing in common with the rest of cook county, until they emptied all the Chicago projects into mine and the surrounding suburbs turning them all into s***. The amount of taxes we paid for things like County Hospitals, which were all in the city, was an astronomical part of our tax bill. I am so glad I finally got out of Cook County.

my brother just moved out of Cook to Lake county because he couldn't take it anymore. They screwed him on his property taxes.

I realize that but I read something not long ago that mentioned that this sort of thing can no longer occur. Maybe I'm mistaken.

No, you're not mistaken. The West Virginia/Virginia split was allowed because Virginia had seceded from the union, so technically a US state was not being split.

If for no other reason, no state-splitting will happen because the result would be bad for one party or the other and that party would never allow it to happen.

I am, however, fully in favor of splitting Cook County into three parts: 1) Chicago city, 2) Suburbs north of Eisenhower, 3) Suburbs south of Eisenhower

Then, with the Chicago city part, you just have a city government and no county government.

Edited by HickoryHuskers