The Dark Knight Rises thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (flippedoutpunk @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 01:07 PM)
There are some spoilerriffic reviews out on the interwebs. Im the kind of b**** that just HAS to read spoilers and needless to say, i can't wait to see it happen on IMAX this weekend. :headbang

I've avoided everything. I have an idea having read Batman my whole life, but I'm excited to see what Nolan does with it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 02:47 PM)
I've avoided everything. I have an idea having read Batman my whole life, but I'm excited to see what Nolan does with it.

This. Gonna be hard cuz I'm waiting a couple of weeks to see it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2012 -> 04:45 PM)
I randomly have Friday off of work so for the first time in my life I'm going to go see a movie at the theatres by myself. Can't wait.

I f'n love going to Wed matinees alone. Not crowded, nobody to bother me. It's great. I hate seeing movies with big cowds.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 07:26 AM)
my friend is doing one of those crazy all-three-movies-in-a-row shows Thursday night. I'll be seeing it on IMAX Sunday afternoon

I don't know how people can do that. When I finish one movie the last thing I want to do is see another.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jul 17, 2012 -> 09:36 PM)
Watching Batman Begins right now, this movie is so severely underrated because of how good TDK was.

I personally believe Batman Begins is a much better Batman movie than The Dark Knight. Love them both, though.

The result, in Christopher Nolan's conclusion to his Batman trilogy, is an ambitious superhero movie with two surprises: It isn't very much fun, and it doesn't have very much Batman. I'm thinking of the over-the-top action sequences of the earlier films that had a subcurrent of humor, and the exhilarating performance of Heath Ledger as the Joker. This movie is all serious drama, with a villain named Bane whose Hannibal Lecterish face-muzzle robs him of personality. And although we see a good deal of Bruce Wayne, his alter-ego Batman makes only a few brief appearances before the all-out climax.

Bane, played by Tom Hardy in a performance evoking a homicidal pro wrestler, is a mystery because it's hard to say what motivates him. He releases thousands of Gotham's criminals in a scenario resembling the storming of the Bastille. As they face off against most of the city police force in street warfare, Bane's goal seems to be the overthrow of the ruling classes. But this would prove little if his other plan (the nuclear annihilation of the city) succeeds.

Bane stages two other sensational set pieces, involving destroying the Stock Exchange and blowing up a football stadium, that seemed aimed at our society's twin gods of money and pro sports. No attempt is made to account for Bane's funding and resources, and when it finally comes down to Bane and Batman going mano-a-mano during a street fight, it involves an anticlimactic fist-fight. He blows up the city's bridges and to top that lands a right hook on Batman's jaw?

This is a dark and heavy film; it tests the weight a superhero movie can bear. That Nolan is able to combine civil anarchy, mass destruction and a Batcycle with exercise-ball tires is remarkable. That he does it without using 3D is admirable. That much of it was shot in the 70mm IMAX format allows it to make that giant screen its own. That it concludes the trilogy is inevitable; how much deeper can Nolan dig? It lacks the near-perfection of "The Dark Knight" (2008), it needs more clarity and a better villain, but it's an honorable finale. .

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.d...VIEWS/120719981

Ebert gave it 3 stars...that's the hard thing if you're Nolan, to top yourself...everything gets compared to Memento, TDK and Inception

87% positive at RT, 119 good reviews, 18 negatives

Edited by caulfield12

So here are the spoliers, DO NOT READ IF YOU DONT WANT TO KNOW.

Youve been warned

There are arguably 3 twists: 1)Bane is not the ultimate bad guy, Miranda is, 2) Miranda is the daughter of Ra's Al Ghul, and 3) John Blake is Robin.

The first two were done well, the third felt forced and does not really follow the Batman story arc at all. And everything ends happy, yay.