The Dark Knight Rises thread

Kyyle23

• Replies 402
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 25, 2012 -> 08:12 AM)
Saw it Monday. Debating on taking this chick I use to "kick it with" to see it this weekend.

Since you have already seen it, you can feel alright about cutting a hole in the bottom of the popcorn box and know that you didn't miss anything you haven't already seen

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (GoSox05 @ Jul 24, 2012 -> 12:08 PM)
The cities look different, but it's not a big deal.

Every movie has a different feel to it.

I could actually buy the cities being different, because it gave a feeling of the city recovering from the depths of the first one.

The thing that bothered me a little was that the exterior city shots were just too obviously Manhattan. I mean it had One World Trades under construction! In the others you would only recognize the city if you knew the city. Like, the Sears only barely made an appearance in TDK.

Awesome. Loved it. Loved the ending.

As others have said, Heath Ledger put TDK on kind of a different plane all by himself, but it was a great Batman movie, a great Christopher Nolan film and a great movie period.

Second time I saw it I had to do crocodile tears

when Batman takes the bomb over the lake to die, so my friends wouldn't be in on it.

Also, I agree with the notion that Ledger's Joker > Hardy's Bane. Hell, Ledger's Joker > Any movie villain.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Aug 5, 2012 -> 12:14 PM)
Ledger's joker was obviously a better acting job / performance. Hardy's Bane was much more terrifying.

I disagree, though both were terrifying.

Bane was intimidating in the classic villain sense in that he wanted to be Gotham's reckoning and he had a reason to be evil.

Joker was just evil. He just wanted chaos. With Bane there was reasoning. With Joker there was none. The crazy one to me is much more terrifying.

Saw the movie Friday.

Best.

Movie.

Ever.

Okay, I've stuck my neck out, but that's how I feel about TDKR. It was THAT much more excellent. Magnum Opus.

I previously felt Alien was the best I've ever saw, then The Searchers, Once Upon a Time in the West, The Godfather, etc.

Bane was on a different terrifying plane than the Joker. To compare the two villans, and the Actors who portrayed them, is indeed comparing apples to oranges.

The story in TDKR was a great conclusion to the trilogy.

Finally saw TDKR yesterday. I liked it. It wasn't my favorite of the three but it was a good wrap up to the trilogy. One thing i noticed (and maybe it was just me) but did Alfred's accent get a whole lot thicker this movie??? or did it just seem that way due to more lines this movie??? then again i haven't watched the other movies in a while so maybe it's me.

Either way KUDOS to Mr. Nolan. A very well done trilogy indeed

:notworthy :notworthy

QUOTE (Jake @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 06:39 AM)
I really liked Bane, my favorite villain. What a badass.

I think the cool way the movie ends contributes to everybody walking out of there with a good taste in their mouth.

I agree with this, while the Joker was an amazing performance by Ledger, Bane was simply a more formidable villain IMO.

>

As for the ending...was it real, or did Nolan bait-and-switch you with Inception?

I will attempt to be vague, just in case someone didn't read the spoiler tag I wrote above. Early in the movie, Alfred tells a fictional recount story to Bruce Wayne about seeing him while having a drink, but not saying anything, and finally knowing he has moved on. After the final explosion, we move to the funeral scene, and suddenly we flash over to the SAME previously depicted once fictional recount scene, only this time Wayne is with Kyle, and Alfred silently toasts them, coupled with the discovery that Bruce Wayne miraculously completed the auto-pilot program for Fox, despite never having the time to do so, being that he was in prison and all.

So...did that final scene actually happen? Or did Nolan Inception us?

SPOILERS

He ordered the autopilot to get fixed he didn't do it himself and nothing about the movies timeline made much sense how did he get out of prison in India or wherever and get back to Gotham so fast. Inception and Batman are also unrelated there is no question he is alive at the end and if you think otherwise you are overthinking especially since Bale said he would do another if Nolan was on board.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 12:22 AM)
I don't know why but it really irritates me that a few people think The Dark Knight Rises is the best movie ever when it is arguably the worst of the trilogy.

Everyone has their opinions. The only thing in this thread that irritates me is when someone thinks theirs is the only one that matters.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
SPOILERS

He ordered the autopilot to get fixed he didn't do it himself and nothing about the movies timeline made much sense how did he get out of prison in India or wherever and get back to Gotham so fast. Inception and Batman are also unrelated there is no question he is alive at the end and if you think otherwise you are overthinking especially since Bale said he would do another if Nolan was on board.

SPOILERS

I'm not the only one who questions it...

An actor being open to doing more movies has nothing to do with Nolan's ending, who is notorious for muddling his endings, in practically every movie he makes. And when I mentioned Inception, I did not mean they were in any way related. I meant it as more of a, "Did Nolan pull another Inception like ending that's open to interpretation?" And I think he did...because he always does. I don't think the ending is quite as cut and dried as you do.

"Alfred (Michael Caine) is alone once more and decides to continue his travels around the world in his master's absence. When he visits Paris, an earlier memory in the film is alluded to where Alfred had discussed Bruce's happiness with him. Alfred then sees Bruce Wayne with Selina Kyle seated next to him in a cafe. They both acknowledge each other. This scene is more likely to be a metaphor for Bruce finally having found peace and happiness, so it would seem Batman dies. This is a typical Christopher Nolan ending, open to interpretation."

This person goes further into depth on these thoughts...

"While the auto-pilot is fixed, it is certainly suggestive but obviously it does not explain how batman escaped the bat with five seconds to go before an atomic bomb with a radius of six miles goes off. Saying he survived because he's Batman is a lame explanation. Alfred's reaction to seeing Bruce alive after thinking he was dead is so calm rather than overwhelming or emotional which suggests that perhaps it is a dream or fantasy. In the end, it is very difficult to tell, there are so many clues which could make either scenario possible. I am sure others will perhaps add factors that I have missed but for the moment I am 50/50 about whether batman survived or not. Until I hear a good argument of how he escaped the Batwing/Atomic Blast with five seconds to go, generally, I do not see how he could possibly survive."

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 10:37 AM)
Until I hear a good argument of how he escaped the Batwing/Atomic Blast with five seconds to go, generally, I do not see how he could possibly survive."

Well, let's hypothetically say he ditched at that moment somehow...perhaps with an escape pod of some sort. That pod plummets into the ocean, hits the ocean, goes under water several tens of feet. At that point, the explosion happens. The water being fairly incompressible is hit by the shock from the explosion and the water takes the shock. The water is forced outward by the shock, pushed away from the source of detonation, and depending on the distance and whatever the escape mechanism was, you could possibly get survivable conditions. Lots of mythbuster-esque variables there.

Of course, this does bring me to my other physics problem here...you set off an atomic blast at an altitude of a few hundred feet over the ocean, you create a pretty darn significant displacement of water. It would be less than if the blast happened under water...but there ought to have been generation of a pretty significant wave from that explosion...at least meters high, probably tens of meters again depending on the exact distance and conditions. In other words, Manhattan ought to have taken a tsunami hit after that thing blew.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Aug 6, 2012 -> 09:53 AM)
Well, let's hypothetically say he ditched at that moment somehow...perhaps with an escape pod of some sort. That pod plummets into the ocean, hits the ocean, goes under water several tens of feet. At that point, the explosion happens. The water being fairly incompressible is hit by the shock from the explosion and the water takes the shock. The water is forced outward by the shock, pushed away from the source of detonation, and depending on the distance and whatever the escape mechanism was, you could possibly get survivable conditions. Lots of mythbuster-esque variables there.

Of course, this does bring me to my other physics problem here...you set off an atomic blast at an altitude of a few hundred feet over the ocean, you create a pretty darn significant displacement of water. It would be less than if the blast happened under water...but there ought to have been generation of a pretty significant wave from that explosion...at least meters high, probably tens of meters again depending on the exact distance and conditions. In other words, Manhattan ought to have taken a tsunami hit after that thing blew.

It's just something fun to think about...it's one of the things I like about Nolan's movies/storytelling.