Cuddyer to Rockies 3 Years 31 million

wallyburger

QUOTE (wallyburger @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 08:37 AM)
Twins signed Willingham and these 2 guys are possibly available.

The White Sox do not have need of a below average defensive OF/backup 1b (Cuddyer) or a left handed DH. They have too many of both and are spending way too much money on both.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 02:38 PM)
The White Sox do not have need of a below average defensive OF/backup 1b (Cuddyer) or a left handed DH. They have too many of both and are spending way too much money on both.

Twins jettison players and the Myth continues. We don't need to sign these fellows for exactly the reason Balta states. Butm the sad thing is we might get beter production from the castoffs

As long as they don't end up with another AL Central team, I don't care what happens with Cuddyer and Kubel.

It's when there is a direct exchange (Thome to Minnesota, or choosing Dunn versus Victor Martinez, Cabrera to DET because they had better prospects at the time) and we come out on the losing end that our team is most directly impacted.

In a way, their losing Crain to us really did show up with the results last year...their bullpen was a total trainwreck. It's just that we couldn't leverage it because of our horrid offense.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 06:24 PM)
With De Aza and Viciedo playing almost everyday, there's really no place for Kubel although he would look good in the middle of the line up. I think Cuddyer would obviously help the Sox but they aren't going to add what he's going to be paid.

Yep we are rebuilding. We won't be adding veterans any time soon.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 14, 2011 -> 07:06 PM)
As long as they don't end up with another AL Central team, I don't care what happens with Cuddyer and Kubel.

It's when there is a direct exchange (Thome to Minnesota, or choosing Dunn versus Victor Martinez, Cabrera to DET because they had better prospects at the time) and we come out on the losing end that our team is most directly impacted.

In a way, their losing Crain to us really did show up with the results last year...their bullpen was a total trainwreck. It's just that we couldn't leverage it because of our horrid offense.

They were interested in Martinez, but never even made an offer. Detroit made their offer and he signed pretty much immediately. Williams and company pretty much said this right after he signed, almost verbatum.

I really do see the White Sox adding any free agents until well after the New Year's when bargain basement shopping would be done (maybe not even then), AND the White Sox have executed their off-season plan, presumably moving Carlos Quentin and possibly a few pitchers amongst Danks/Floyd/Thornton. If they do trade away a few of their own, they may have just enough loose change to sign a couple veterans for cheap, 1 year deals to provide some semblance of depth (maybe a 4th OF behind De Aza, Viceido and Rios although they may just stick with Lillibridge) although I still think that what is already here will make up nearly all of the 25 man roster.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:22 PM)
I really do see the White Sox adding any free agents until well after the New Year's when bargain basement shopping would be done (maybe not even then), AND the White Sox have executed their off-season plan, presumably moving Carlos Quentin and possibly a few pitchers amongst Danks/Floyd/Thornton. If they do trade away a few of their own, they may have just enough loose change to sign a couple veterans for cheap, 1 year deals to provide some semblance of depth (maybe a 4th OF behind De Aza, Viceido and Rios although they may just stick with Lillibridge) although I still think that what is already here will make up nearly all of the 25 man roster.

The only direction that's logical for a FA is trading Thornton and then replacing him with another "journeyman" type in the realm of Arthur Rhodes or Darren Oliver.

Don't trust Ohman at all as the primary LH guy in late inning, pressure situations.

We'll find out quickly enough if they want to waste a year of Santiago's development as a starter to make him the 2nd lefty in the pen.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:28 PM)
The only direction that's logical for a FA is trading Thornton and then replacing him with another "journeyman" type in the realm of Arthur Rhodes or Darren Oliver.

Don't trust Ohman at all as the primary LH guy in late inning, pressure situations.

We'll find out quickly enough if they want to waste a year of Santiago's development as a starter to make him the 2nd lefty in the pen.

Do people really think Santiago is a starter candidate?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 08:28 PM)

Correct, that the's type of move I was thinking about, where you open a spot by moving a veteran and then either fill from within or with a cheap free agent. If the case of Thornton, I think they would give that role to Santiago, but it does at least open the possibility of a free agent move in the bullpen.

I don't think trading Danks/Floyd would result in adding another starter since they do have enough options (Sale, Peavy, Danks/Floyd, Humber, Stewart, Axelrod), although the level of quality will certainly be the question about this group.

Edited by spiderman

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:31 PM)

Just as much confidence in him as Stewart or Axelrod.

And we DEFINITELY need at least one LH starter in our rotation if Buehrle and Danks are both gone.

That's 50% of the reason he'll really be given a chance to prove himself this spring. He can get it up there 92-93-94 MPH, that's playable for a lefty, and quite comparable to Danks' heater. It would be crazy to argue he'll be as good or better, but if he can keep improving that screwball, it will have the same effect as the change-up does for both our lefties.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 16, 2011 -> 09:41 PM)
Just as much confidence in him as Stewart or Axelrod.

And we DEFINITELY need at least one LH starter in our rotation if Buehrle and Danks are both gone.

That's 50% of the reason he'll really be given a chance to prove himself this spring. He can get it up there 92-93-94 MPH, that's playable for a lefty, and quite comparable to Danks' heater. It would be crazy to argue he'll be as good or better, but if he can keep improving that screwball, it will have the same effect as the change-up does for both our lefties.

Sale is a lefty.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 17, 2011 -> 02:31 AM)

I don't think I see Santiago as a starter. That out pitch he developed might make him effective for a couple innings or so. Problem is every minor league pitching prospect for the Sox is evaluated as a relief candidate. What's up with that?

• 1 month later...