Jays/Sox talking about Danks/TCQ

southsider2k5

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb...than-50-million

There are talks with White Sox GM Kenny Williams for outfielder Caros Quentin and John Danks. There’s a call to be made to Billy Beane with imaginative back-and-forth involving lefthander Gio Gonzalez. How about the Astros and Wandy Rodriguez or the Braves and Jair Jurrjens?

Maybe another team can be enticed to join in on one of these trade talks, brought in to create some heavy three-way action, because Anthopoulos is always prepared, armed with knowledge of all 30 teams, not just his own. He does his serious legwork and likes to know what other teams are looking for even if he doesn’t have the parts to satisfy them. That’s where the creativity and imagination come in.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm sure there's been discussions. But I don't see anything happening here. Danks and CQ totally contradict what AA has preached and done for the last three years.

I dunno J...I'm getting the feeling he's going to make a run for it this year...

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:05 PM)
I dunno J...I'm getting the feeling he's going to make a run for it this year...

Perhaps. I'd still be surprised. Are they really a John Danks or CQ away from runnin' with the Yanks, Red Sox or Rays? Prince is the guy I think they're set on. Now that would be a "go-for-it" type move.

When speculators attempt to embellish their speculation with a three-way trade proposal I then believe they are full of manure. I am sure there have been talks with a lot of teams. We just traded santos to Toronto. Last year we made a trade and we signed Rios. We have taken it in the shorts with the Jays as a trading partner and now speculation is we are giving up two more of our better players to Toronto.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 06:36 PM)
When speculators attempt to embellish their speculation with a three-way trade proposal I then believe they are full of manure. I am sure there have been talks with a lot of teams. We just traded santos to Toronto. Last year we made a trade and we signed Rios. We have taken it in the shorts with the Jays as a trading partner and now speculation is we are giving up two more of our better players to Toronto.

Well, after those 2 deals they do owe us a few favors...

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 05:36 PM)

Wow

Maybe another team can be enticed to join in on one of these trade talks, brought in to create some heavy three-way action, because Anthopoulos is always prepared, armed with knowledge of all 30 teams, not just his own. He does his serious legwork and likes to know what other teams are looking for even if he doesn’t have the parts to satisfy them. That’s where the creativity and imagination come in.

Pretty much why he's one of the best GMs in the game already. (and why J4L has a hard on for him)

QUOTE (Real @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:34 AM)
This is where we get pretty much nothing for Carlos, and a prospect for Danks that some random scout has high up in the Jays system, whereas everyone else (BP, BA, etc) has said player ranked about 15-20. lol

For Carlos, I'd be satisfied with that.

Danks, it would be nice to get at least 1 projectible player.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Dec 20, 2011 -> 04:00 PM)
I'm sure there's been discussions. But I don't see anything happening here. Danks and CQ totally contradict what AA has preached and done for the last three years.

So does bidding $50 million for a pitcher before his contract negotiations.

Do you guys believe we would be selling low on Danks at this point? I think trading TCQ would be smart at this point as he has pretty solid value right now. However, would it hurt us to just hold on to Danks until the midway point? If he has a great first half, contenders would likely overpay in attempt to make a playoff run.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:01 AM)
Do you guys believe we would be selling low on Danks at this point? I think trading TCQ would be smart at this point as he has pretty solid value right now. However, would it hurt us to just hold on to Danks until the midway point? If he has a great first half, contenders would likely overpay in attempt to make a playoff run.

Yes, I think we'd be selling low on Danks at this point, but there's no reason to think we'll be selling higher on Danks come July.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:15 AM)
Yes, I think we'd be selling low on Danks at this point, but there's no reason to think we'll be selling higher on Danks come July.

If Danks has a huge first half (which is possible), you never know? He started off pretty badly last year. At the same time, he didn't get much run support. I would hold on Danks and try to make deals for TCQ and Thorton.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:31 AM)
If Danks has a huge first half (which is possible), you never know? He started off pretty badly last year. At the same time, he didn't get much run support. I would hold on Danks and try to make deals for TCQ and Thorton.

Even if he has a huge first half, how much would that really raise his value? It's a guy who had a huge first half but who is now only available for 2 months and who is going to be even more expensive tos ign.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:32 AM)
Even if he has a huge first half, how much would that really raise his value? It's a guy who had a huge first half but who is now only available for 2 months and who is going to be even more expensive tos ign.

If Danks as an ERA in the 2's and has 10-12 wins come July he would draw a TON of interest from playoff contenders. That is usually when teams try to outbid one another. I think Danks can bring us more in July than right now IMO. However, now is the time to deal TCQ.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:36 AM)
If Danks as an ERA in the 2's and has 10-12 wins come July he would draw a TON of interest from playoff contenders. That is usually when teams try to outbid one another. I think Danks can bring us more in July than right now IMO. However, now is the time to deal TCQ.

If Danks was having a great season but still pitching in the Cell, his ERA wouldn't be in the 2's. And anyway, as frustratingly inconsistent as Danks has been in his career, I can't fathom how he'd ever pull off a full 3 months like that. It's not in his makeup.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)
If Danks was having a great season but still pitching in the Cell, his ERA wouldn't be in the 2's. And anyway, as frustratingly inconsistent as Danks has been in his career, I can't fathom how he'd ever pull off a full 3 months like that. It's not in his makeup.

Exactly. That scenario is laughable.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 08:39 AM)

In 2008 pre-allstar game, Danks had a record of 7-4 and an ERA of 2.67. In 2010 pre allstar game, Danks was 8-7 with a 3.29 ERA. Not dominating numbers but still very good numbers and teams would definitley be interested in that. And i honeslty think he will have an even better first half since its his contract year.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 09:48 AM)
In 2008 pre-allstar game, Danks had a record of 7-4 and an ERA of 2.67. In 2010 pre allstar game, Danks was 8-7 with a 3.29 ERA. Not dominating numbers but still very good numbers and teams would definitley be interested in that. And i honeslty think he will have an even better first half since its his contract year.

Again though, if John Danks just put up those numbers, he's still doing so at the time as a 2 month rental. His performance would be solid and worth trading for, but the free agency overhang would be there. Basically, that winds you up hoping that someone is more desperate for a starter at the deadline than they are now.