Neal Cotts' First Start

Loaiza21

From Sox.com game notes:

Quotable: “ I don’t know how they will use me. They haven’t told me. I’ll just go out and do my job.” -- Cotts on his role with the White Sox after Tuesday’s start

-- I guess it would be too much to ask JM to make a plan and communicate it to anyone, after all he doesn't remember the kid from spring training!

This team would be 20 over with a real manager.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

From Sox.com game notes:

Quotable: “ I don’t know how they will use me. They haven’t told me. I’ll just go out and do my job.” -- Cotts on his role with the White Sox after Tuesday’s start

-- I guess it would be too much to ask JM to make a plan and communicate it to anyone, after all he doesn't remember the kid from spring training!

Are you reading this Rick Whiteflag?

From Sox.com game notes:

haha that's almost exactly the same as the ginter quote you posted when he came up.

way to be, JM!

coop just said if Cotts pitches well, he'll get another chance as the fifth starter because it's been a problem all season

sez the big worry is the strike zone is smaller in the big leagues than it is in AA and big-name hitters get the calls on borderline pitches against rookie pitchers. So, yep, he's worried about the walks.

fastball and curveball are his top pitches. Then change

Time for Neal to Deal

That was an even quicker hook then Garland's.

Let's just hope Wright does a little better.  Gotta hope...

6 BB's?  He ain't ready quite yet.

That hook was needed, this guy aint ready for the majors. Hey Rex, when ya read this, I TOLD YA SO.... :nono lol sorry couldnt resist.

That hook was needed, this guy aint ready for the majors. Hey Rex, when ya read this, I TOLD YA SO.... :nono lol sorry couldnt resist.

I agree with you on that too.

Except the I told ya so part. I had no f***ing clue what was going to happen.

If he does that after his next start, then I'll give you the I told ya so. But I'm not going to panic over a guy struggling that just flew cross country on a plane with basically no sleep.

I'm not panicking yet.

If he does that after his next start, then I'll give you the I told ya so. But I'm not going to panic over a guy struggling that just flew cross country on a plane with basically no sleep.

I'm not panicking yet.

I doubt he'll even get another start. I remember JM being quoted as saying he would have to have a "memorable start" to get another one. And I don't think he meant bad memorable. I hope he's wrong, and they give him a second shot, I want to see him succeed

I'm not panicking yet.

I doubt he'll even get another start. I remember JM being quoted as saying he would have to have a "memorable start" to get another one. And I don't think he meant bad memorable. I hope he's wrong, and they give him a second shot, I want to see him succeed

I think they would be stupid not to give him another start. If they believed in him enough to call him up and give him the ball, they should give him the opportunity to work through nerves.

I'm not panicking yet.

Okay thats fair. Lets give him another start. :huh:

Guest hotsoxchick1

no i told ya so's yet... he didnt do that bad.. had some pretty impressive stuff for a first time out.. (up untill the walks that is lol)... but cant down the guy for a first timer... give him another shot and see what hes got.... no problem.....then ill give ya the i told ya so's lol.......lol......lol..........lol......

I vote for giving the kid another start. If he does this again, then maybe he's not ready. But this could all be chalked up to 1) nerves, 2) long travel, and 3) no advance time to work with his catcher (who called way too many borderline pitches).

I'd be a lot more worried if they hit the ball hard. But the only damaging hit was a jam job blooper. He induced two double plays and they swung through pitches that were in the zone.

Plus, Wright proved his value out of the pen.

I vote for giving the kid another start.  If he does this again, then maybe he's not ready.  But this could all be chalked up to 1) nerves, 2) long travel, and 3) no advance time to work with his catcher (who called way too many borderline pitches).

I'd be a lot more worried if they hit the ball hard.  But the only damaging hit was a jam job blooper.  He induced two double plays and they swung through pitches that were in the zone. 

Plus, Wright proved his value out of the pen.

I agree. Particularly with the point on Danny Wright's value out of the bullpen. That can turn into more wins, than Cotts could possibly lose as the 5th starter. Plus, we didn't lose this one, so it turned out alright.

In a post game interview Manuel said that Cotts will be given one more chance to start.

from chisox.com

"They didn't put the ball in play too hard off of him, but they didn't really have the opportunity," Manuel said of Cotts. "We will give him one more shot and see how that goes."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...recap&fext=.jsp

In a post game interview Manuel said that Cotts will be given one more chance to start.

from chisox.com

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...recap&fext=.jsp

Then again, there's this:

"There's obviously a lot of potential, or he wouldn't be here,'' manager Jerry Manuel said of Cotts. "You'd like to throw the first (start) out and give him an opportunity, but this is not the case, being in a pennant race.''