2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I heard last night on MLB Radio. I believe it was CLiff Floyd reporting that the White Sox will go all out and try to sign Cespedes.

Have to admit, wasn't expecting that. At all.

If the Sox can't trade Quentin, it seems to me this is an impossibility. Even if they do, the bidding is likely to be sky-high, so I still highly doubt it.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
Have to admit, wasn't expecting that. At all.

If the Sox can't trade Quentin, it seems to me this is an impossibility. Even if they do, the bidding is likely to be sky-high, so I still highly doubt it.

If they can sign him, TCQ gets given away.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:23 PM)
:hawk:

maybe KW found someone to take Rios.....

That would be nice, even if paying a big chunk. But more likely...

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:24 PM)
If they can sign him, TCQ gets given away.

Yeah, probably. This all still seems like an incredible long shot to me though.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Why??

Because we have 5 guys in the OF who deserve playing time as it is, and he's the closest to FA. He absolutely needs to be moved for whatever the best return possible is. If that's given away with someone taking on his salary, fine.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:29 PM)
Because we have 5 guys in the OF who deserve playing time as it is, and he's the closest to FA. He absolutely needs to be moved for whatever the best return possible is. If that's given away with someone taking on his salary, fine.

The reason I got confused because given away means for nothing.. yes for best return possible!

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:27 PM)
Unless guys like Alexei are doing the hard sell on him, I would imagine it is a long shot indeed.

But who saw the Viciedo signing coming? If the scouting reports are accurate and his age is legit, he seems like the type of talent KW would obsess over. I could see KW making a big offer for him, but one that would force Cespedes to leave some money on the table if he really wanted to play with Dayan and Alexei. Obviously a long-shot but there is some logic here, at least from KW's perspective.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:37 PM)
But who saw the Viciedo signing coming? If the scouting reports are accurate and his age is legit, he seems like the type of talent KW would obsess over. I could see KW making a big offer for him, but one that would force Cespedes to leave some money on the table if he really wanted to play with Dayan and Alexei. Obviously a long-shot but there is some logic here, at least from KW's perspective.

Just off of memory, I think a whole lot of people saw that coming.

QUOTE (SOXOBAMA @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
I heard last night on MLB Radio. I believe it was CLiff Floyd reporting that the White Sox will go all out and try to sign Cespedes.

where did you hear Cliff Floyd. He's one of my old patient who I really liked. One of the best high school baseball players i've ever seen in illinois.

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:37 PM)

The Sox were long rumored to be the favorite for Dayan because he and Alexei had the same agent.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 12:40 PM)
Just off of memory, I think a whole lot of people saw that coming.

I guess I don't remember the rumors or at least anyone taking them very seriously. All I remember was the cost for Viceido was going to be significant and we had never spent anything near the rumored costs on an amateur international free agent. The move was really unprecented for us, so I'm shocked that many people saw it coming, but I easily could be wrong here.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 07:29 PM)

Carlos Quentin is also the one who deserves to play the most of the five. We would be better off "giving away" someone like Rios. Even if we did sign some new Cuban phenom chances are he might be in the minors just like Viciedo was.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 01:27 PM)
Unless guys like Alexei are doing the hard sell on him, I would imagine it is a long shot indeed.

The fact that Alexei and Dayan are here could potentially be something Cespedes would consider taking a little less to play with. Defecting from Cuba and playing with two fellow defectors, one of which he probably knows, would be quite comforting I'd imagine.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Dec 21, 2011 -> 07:48 PM)
I guess I don't remember the rumors or at least anyone taking them very seriously. All I remember was the cost for Viceido was going to be significant and we had never spent anything near the rumored costs on an amateur international free agent. The move was really unprecented for us, so I'm shocked that many people saw it coming, but I easily could be wrong here.

Dayan Viciedo cost us a lot of money for someone who hit one homer in 2011 and drove in 5 runs. He has been given lots of lip service. Hopefully he can produce over 162 games at the major league level.