2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

I would expect Cespedes to play in the minor leagues in 2012. If he is on fire and the Sox have to make a spot for him in the lineup, then I think Rios would be the guy to go. Either he would be traded with the Sox giving cash because he is playing well and has value or he is outright released because he is not performing and would be a distraction on the bench. He could also move De Aza to the bench if Rios actually plays very well. I really would love for the Sox to sign Cespedes. Even if it doesn't work out, it is a ballsy move that could add a superstar the Sox for the rest of the decade.

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:41 AM)
I would expect Cespedes to play in the minor leagues in 2012. If he is on fire and the Sox have to make a spot for him in the lineup, then I think Rios would be the guy to go. Either he would be traded with the Sox giving cash because he is playing well and has value or he is outright released because he is not performing and would be a distraction on the bench. He could also move De Aza to the bench if Rios actually plays very well. I really would love for the Sox to sign Cespedes. Even if it doesn't work out, it is a ballsy move that could add a superstar the Sox for the rest of the decade.

So, you think that the Sox are going to commit $30 million or so to signing Cespedes and then eat $40 million on Rios to open a slot for him?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 10:29 AM)
So, you think that the Sox are going to commit $30 million or so to signing Cespedes and then eat $40 million on Rios to open a slot for him?

Yes! That is KW's Goal!I am sure that is not the plan but if Rios hits .200 and the fans are booing him as he lollygags after a fly ball and he exchanges words with Ventura after being benched... he gets moved one way or the other. Doesn't it make it much easier to show him the door if there is a freakishly athletic Cuban dude hitting .360 on the farm ready to take his place?

I think the plan is to get Cespedes hoping he is a star and find a spot for him later. If Rios plays the way he is paid to, then De Aza can be the 4th outfielder OR Rios may have some value to other teams. Viciedo could also be moved to first base in the future if Rios remains a starter for the Sox.

So you think they should pass on his talent because they made a mistake with Rios? They would be paying him with TCQ money not Rios money.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 11:43 AM)
So you think they should pass on his talent because they made a mistake with Rios? They would be paying him with TCQ money not Rios money.

No, but we ought to understand that the White Sox are not going to eat $40 million. They're just not going to do it.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 05:52 PM)
No, but we ought to understand that the White Sox are not going to eat $40 million. They're just not going to do it.

And what you are saying is probably correct. And therin lies the problem... this team runs the risk of another Dunn melt down, another non-performing year from Rios and another injured Peavy year all because of bad decisions involving huge amounts of money and we will be suffering through another non-winning year. The hope is they turn it around.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 12:32 PM)
And what you are saying is probably correct. And therin lies the problem... this team runs the risk of another Dunn melt down, another non-performing year from Rios and another injured Peavy year all because of bad decisions involving huge amounts of money and we will be suffering through another non-winning year. The hope is they turn it around.

The reason why the Sox won't eat that money is...it's already committed. They might well move him if they can move him without having to eat most of the Contract, but they're not eating the Contract.

If you buy out his contract...you're buying him out completely. No matter what he does, you're still paying for him.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

If KW's history holds true he'll give in to the pressure from the fans and rush yet another player up only to make sure he doesn't reach his potential as a major leaguer.

Bob

QUOTE (gosox41 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 12:58 AM)
If KW's history holds true he'll give in to the pressure from the fans and rush yet another player up only to make sure he doesn't reach his potential as a major leaguer.

Bob

Alexei hasn't reached his potential? Sale has performed poorly?

Viciedo was rushed?

I think you're talking about Beckham, and I can't find any other examples of rushed prospects who have failed.

Edited by ScottyDo

QUOTE (beautox @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 01:01 AM)
Honestly I would love to see the sox move pk and aj to south beach opening up first to acquire morales and a spec for the likes of thornton. Lets make the continue to make the south side of chicago a prime destination for cuban defectors.

Not sure why Florida would be interested in either of them with Buck and Sanchez in at C and 1B. Morrison can play 1B in a pinch too.

QUOTE (103 mph screwball @ Jan 2, 2012 -> 09:41 AM)

The guy is at least 26 years old. If a team gives him the money they are talking about, its to play in the major leagues, and the Sox owe Rios close to $40 million. No way they release him.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 04:23 AM)
The guy is at least 26 years old. If a team gives him the money they are talking about, its to play in the major leagues, and the Sox owe Rios close to $40 million. No way they release him.

If we get Cespedes - it'll mean an outfield of Cespedes - Rios - Tank

They'd say adios to DeAza if they signed Cespedes.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 07:33 AM)
If we get Cespedes - it'll mean an outfield of Cespedes - Rios - Tank

They'd say adios to DeAza if they signed Cespedes.

If you mean adios as in cut De Aze than you are insane, from all accounts the Sox are relying pretty heavily on De Aza to be a big contributor this season and there is no way they would just cut him without giving him more playing time.

Rios is owed a ton of money, so he won't get cut, but he most likely is a part time player this next season until he proves he can be useful again.

It would probably be Alexei Ramirez, although I wouldn't be totally shocked by Morel or Beckham if he ever gets his confidence back.

Rios is the other possibility.

Really, four candidates if DeAza's not a starter, and Cespedes could do it as well, although I highly doubt Ventura would want to put that type of pressure on him right away until he got his feet set under him and built up some confidence.

But we're a LONG ways from signing Cespedes, it's all just conjecture and speculation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:04 AM)
It would probably be Alexei Ramirez, although I wouldn't be totally shocked by Morel or Beckham if he ever gets his confidence back.

Rios is the other possibility.

Really, four candidates if DeAza's not a starter, and Cespedes could do it as well, although I highly doubt Ventura would want to put that type of pressure on him right away until he got his feet set under him and built up some confidence.

But we're a LONG ways from signing Cespedes, it's all just conjecture and speculation.

If they did sign Cespedes for the kind of money being speculated, it would be a waste to have him leading off. He would be expected to provide a lot of run production and bat in the middle of the order.

None of the other candidates has the kind of OBP that would make them effective lead off hitters.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree, and reject all of these particular candidates.

Any other ideas?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 10:25 AM)
Except he just talked about spending money, which he never does.

Yeah, he also said we're rebuilding AND contedning at the same time. He's just syaing words the appease the AM radio crowd.

Come to think of it, that sort of is what he appears to be trying to do, however misguided and impossible it may be. Where did he say he's about to spend? Is there a link?

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 10:38 AM)
Yeah, he also said we're rebuilding AND contedning at the same time. He's just syaing words the appease the AM radio crowd.

Come to think of it, that sort of is what he appears to be trying to do, however misguided and impossible it may be. Where did he say he's about to spend? Is there a link?

The rebuilding quote was taken massively out of context. Just about everyone ignored the next line in that conversation.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 10:20 AM)
If they did sign Cespedes for the kind of money being speculated, it would be a waste to have him leading off. He would be expected to provide a lot of run production and bat in the middle of the order.

None of the other candidates has the kind of OBP that would make them effective lead off hitters.

I'm sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree, and reject all of these particular candidates.

Any other ideas?

Beckham would be fine if he hit like 2009 or 2nd half of 2010

We'll see. He's not a base stealer, that's for sure.

Pierre wasn't much for the first 2-3 months when we really needed him last year, and his burst was really missing, as well as his confidence in stealing bases.

Same thing happened with Pods after his injury...not the same threat on the basepaths.