2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:08 AM)
DeAza is going nowhere even if they sign Cespedes.

Yup - I should have clarified that I meant adios DeAza in terms of starting.

It's kinda a pain in the ass to only have 1 typing hand. :(

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Springfield SoxFan @ Jan 3, 2012 -> 08:00 PM)
This is like Chinese water torture waiting for Cespedes to be declared a free agent. If someone other team signs him, I hope it is soon so the mourning can start.........

can someone explain what exactly is the process? is the MLB preventing his FA declaration or something? doesn't he already have an agent?

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:33 AM)
can someone explain what exactly is the process? is the MLB preventing his FA declaration or something? doesn't he already have an agent?

I think he has to officially defect from Cuba before he can be declared a free agent or something? I honestly don't know, I was under the assumption he was able to be signed this whole time.

The real importance of this, however, is that Goldstein provides a possible timeline for Cespedes' free agency. Mercedes tells Goldstein that Cespedes hopes to have residency in the Dominican Republic established "in the coming days," (article was published on DEC 17TH) but that's not the end of the process. It will then take two or three days for him to be cleared by Major League Baseball, and then perhaps another 10-15 days before the United States Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) distinguishes Cespedes as a Dominican.

So you're looking at the 21st of December at the earliest, plus another 10-15 business/working days.

Not sure how they count the New Year's holiday...how many days the USOFAC works during that holiday time period officially.

Sometime in the next couple of weeks, for sure...maybe around January 8th-10th?

QUOTE (pittshoganerkoff @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 02:57 PM)
Okay, let's say the Sox will aggressively pursue this guy, which seems likely. What's the most you'd like to see the Sox offer?

Well, I randomly threw out a 5 yr/$48M figure a couple weeks ago. After reading some reports about how he could get nearly $50M, I'm thinking that might not be too far off, but probably more like 6 or 7 years at that cost.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 4, 2012 -> 03:50 PM)
Viciedo was 19 when we signed him, this guy is 25.

Right, so if the numbers were similar, you'd expect Cespedes to be garbage because he'd be fully developed. I guess I hope they are way better, of course. I wonder if some metrics/skills tend to translate from Cuba to the MLB more, such as walk rate or K rate or something.