2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (PolishPrince34 @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 03:46 PM)
I completely agree with you that Sox should be going after Soler. Soler is 2-3 years away from making an impact and probably has a higher ceiling than Cesepedes. Also, Soler will fall into $12-15 million dollar range and won't count on the international cap for next year.

Soler (soul-air NOT solar) is a potential 5-tool talent and is four years younger and more talented than Leonys Martin, another Cuban outfielder who signed a $15.6 million major league contract with the Rangers in April. Once Soler is cleared to sign with a major league team, he’s expected to top Martin’s deal.

The new CBA provides for a $2.9 million international cap for each team for the 2012-13 signing period, which doesn’t start until July 2. As long as Soler signs before then, he won’t be subject to the cap. And even if he were, he’s talented enough and the penalties for busting the cap are so light (a 100-percent tax on the overage and a prohibition on signing any international player for more than $250,000 in the next signing period) that I bet several clubs would be willing to exceed the $2.9 million.

Kenny loves Cespedes, but it may make more sense to move on Soler, call him our top prospect and let him develop for a couple years ala Viciedo..

Edited by bucket-of-suck

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has no one yet commented on the likelihood of K. W. and Ozzie engaging in "one-upmanship" here on the Cespedes sweepstakes?

With the bad blood between those two, I can only imagine what is going on behind the scenes, if both Miami and the Sox are after "El Talento"

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 7, 2012 -> 08:28 PM)
Has no one yet commented on the likelihood of K. W. and Ozzie engaging in "one-upmanship" here on the Cespedes sweepstakes?

With the bad blood between those two, I can only imagine what is going on behind the scenes, if both Miami and the Sox are after "El Talento"

If KW signs Cespedes, he can send Ozzie a picture of the two of them smiling.

One of each, please.

Soler and Cespedes.

Clear Floyd, Crain, Thornton and/or Ohman, AJ and Paulie from the payroll, not to mention Peavy, and it's a DUNN deal.

My question would be if Katz has to accept the highest bid (as per whatever agreement has been struck with MLB and the bidding/re-bidding process) or if he can still direct his client in any direction as long as the numbers are the neighborhood he's shooting for. Is it like the Darvish posting situation? It seems different, since the teams can "re-bid" or bid the price up or counteroffer.

If the Sox did sign Soler, I would imagine that would tip the iceberg in the direction of the Sox (with Cespedes), as long as they seemed committed to keeping "elder statesman" Alexei Ramirez around for the "retooling" years.

The Florida market does make more sense, you have Guillen there, Cora....I wonder, if Contreras and El Duque were questioned...would they advise these two guys to go to Miami with Ozzie or would their loyalty be more to the Sox/Cooper.

Wish there was some way to ask El Gran Titan this question, where he would advise these kids to go. Both options make equal sense. In Chicago, seemingly, there would be less pressure as the team's not expected to compete with a greenhorn manager and also more focus is now on Mr. Epstein on the Northside.

Edited by caulfield12

•A source says Cespedes' eventual contract will be in the range of four years and $32MM, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "Several teams have backed away" from Cespedes' original goal of an eight-year, $60MM contract. Frisaro says the Marlins are among the teams still very interested in the Cuban prospect.

•Also from Frisaro, Cespedes is tentatively expected to establish residency in the Dominican Republic on January 15, and then the outfielder will petition Major League Baseball for free agent status.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 06:07 PM)
•A source says Cespedes' eventual contract will be in the range of four years and $32MM, writes MLB.com's Joe Frisaro. "Several teams have backed away" from Cespedes' original goal of an eight-year, $60MM contract. Frisaro says the Marlins are among the teams still very interested in the Cuban prospect.

•Also from Frisaro, Cespedes is tentatively expected to establish residency in the Dominican Republic on January 15, and then the outfielder will petition Major League Baseball for free agent status.

4 yrs/$32M comes out to $8/year. My random prediction was 6 yrs/$48M. Looks like I might get at least part of that right!

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:03 PM)
This isn't happening. The White Sox still have a horrible reputation in the DR and Cuba for the bonus skimming scandal.

Also, someone explain to me why an organization that spends no money in the draft would pay top dollar for either of these players.

I don't really see how our bonus skimming scandal would affect us in Cuba. I think the fact that we signed Viciedo months after firing Wilder is proof of that. Not sure why you think it would.

As for signing Cespedes, we're talking a near major leage ready 5 tool talent. Guys like that aren't available in the draft, so I don't see how bringing up our lack of spending there really makes sense. You don't think KW would be willing to take a chance on a potential superstar? He's gambled on much less in the past.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:29 PM)
I don't really see how our bonus skimming scandal would affect us in Cuba. I think the fact that we signed Viciedo months after firing Wilder is proof of that. Not sure why you think it would.

As for signing Cespedes, we're talking a near major leage ready 5 tool talent. Guys like that aren't available in the draft, so I don't see how bringing up our lack of spending there really makes sense. You don't think KW would be willing to take a chance on a potential superstar? He's gambled on much less in the past.

Agree with everything you've written 100%, except for your generic handle, haha.

QUOTE (Paint it Black @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 10:03 PM)
This isn't happening. The White Sox still have a horrible reputation in the DR and Cuba for the bonus skimming scandal.

Also, someone explain to me why an organization that spends no money in the draft would pay top dollar for either of these players.

Excellent point. When was the last time we ever signed someone from Cuba????

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jan 10, 2012 -> 09:29 PM)

Cespedes isn't a sure thing. So I don't think I'm out of line to compare this signing to a draft pick, considering draft picks are much less expensive. My point it more as an organization, it's funny that they have no problem giving an international player without any experience culturally in America (yes it matters) millions of dollars, but can't spend anything over slot in the draft because it's too risky.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jan 11, 2012 -> 07:41 AM)
Excellent point. When was the last time we ever signed someone from Cuba????

2008 was 4 years ago. But there hasn't been any international talent coming out of that area this whole time, right?

Perhaps we should evaluate these Cuban players differently. I start with the assumption that there are likely some really talented players there.

The level of competition as a whole is not on a par with the Big Leagues, however you have some Major League quality players who are there because they have no other option.

Oh sure, they can escape, but it is risky. Here, a good player advances to the Major Leagues. In Cuba, they remain in the country and compete against each other, with players of all level of skill and talent.

The good ones will dominate, but they are still good. No one puts up the kind of stats that Cespedes has, without being extremely talented. He may face a lot of good pitching, mixed in with some not good pitching, but he has produced at a rate that sets him apart from the rest of the players.

It would be interesting to have stats on how well he hit against the better pitchers. I wonder if scouts have any of that kind of information.

I don't understand the people who think extending Danks is stupid and putting a damper on the "rebuild", but signing this guy, who is the same age or older would be exactly how you go about rebuilding. Isn't the ultimate goal to have as many good players as possible? I'm all for signing the guy, but I really wonder how good he is if he'll have to go to the minors at his age. Certainly not worth the money they have been talking.

Edited by Dick Allen