2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read on MLBTR that the Nats are looking at Cespedes like a "corner type," maybe even a first baseman. As desparate as the Nats are for a CF, I think that piece of information probably reflects poorly on their evaluations as Cespedes as a CF.

My excitement over the Sox being in on this guy are dropping by the day. I just think it's going to be too much risk for the money.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 05:37 PM)
I read on MLBTR that the Nats are looking at Cespedes like a "corner type," maybe even a first baseman. As desparate as the Nats are for a CF, I think that piece of information probably reflects poorly on their evaluations as Cespedes as a CF.

My excitement over the Sox being in on this guy are dropping by the day. I just think it's going to be too much risk for the money.

If the big threat on this guy is the Marlins...given how they obviously structured Reyes's and Buehrle's contracts so that they could move them in a year or two as a big payroll cutting move, I'd be very skeptical that the Marlins can really go all-in on this kind of commitment either.

Unless they're looking to use him for 1-2 years and then move him too...which could mean antoher backloaded deal.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 06:05 PM)
If the big threat on this guy is the Marlins...given how they obviously structured Reyes's and Buehrle's contracts so that they could move them in a year or two as a big payroll cutting move, I'd be very skeptical that the Marlins can really go all-in on this kind of commitment either.

Unless they're looking to use him for 1-2 years and then move him too...which could mean antoher backloaded deal.

If they backloaded contracts with the plans of trading htem, they are idiots. Who is going to want those deals?

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 03:39 PM)
unfortunately for KW, he is really in a lose/lose situation when it comes to all future FA signings with the gaffes of Peavy and Rios (I'm not counting Dunn as a gaffe)

If you don't count Dunn, why would you count Peavy? Could KW predict Peavy would have an injury that noone else in baseball has ever come back from?

QUOTE (ptatc @ Jan 25, 2012 -> 10:43 PM)
If you don't count Dunn, why would you count Peavy? Could KW predict Peavy would have an injury that noone else in baseball has ever come back from?

I think the problem was a lot of people thought Peavy was an "elevated injury risk" compared with most pitchers, based on his high-effort delivery.

Any chance you could comment on Deng's wrist injury in the NBA thread?

ChuckGarfien Chuck Garfien

by WhiteSoxTalkCSN

When I asked Kenny Williams about Cespedes he said: "Who's that? Is he a pitcher? Is he Japanese?"

WhiteSoxTalkCSN White Sox Talk

Laumann: Cespedes is "awful talented." That's a little more direct than Kenny's answer from yesterday. #SoxFest

1 hour ago

General manager Ken Williams was understandably coy Friday night when asked by reporters and fans about the Chicago White Sox's interest in Cuban free agents Yoenis Cespedes, Jorge Soler and Gerardo Concepcion.

One high-ranking talent evaluator for an American League club scoffed at the suggestion that the Sox weren't that interested in Cespedes, the marquee player of the threesome.

"Remember what happened with (Dayan) Viciedo," said the executive, mindful that the Sox emerged as the winner for Viciedo with a four-year, $10 million contract over the likes of the New York Yankees, Boston and Cleveland.

The scout, however, was careful in his praise of Cespedes, citing that he struggled during a recent appearance in the Dominican Winter League. But Sox shortstop Alexei Ramirez, a Cuban native, said not to read into Cespedes' benching too deeply because he hadn't played much following his defection from Cuba.

Soler, 19, is considered less polished than Cespedes but can develop into a productive player. The scout said comparisons to Miami outfielder Mike Stanton are ''fair.''

As for Concepcion, an 18-year-old pitcher, he could attract attention from more teams because he is young, left-handed and considered more affordable. Ramirez said Jaime Torres, who represents him and Concepcion, has been busy overseeing his young client's interests and didn't know where Concepcion might be headed.

Link

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 08:44 PM)
That's the best tweet I've seen in a long time.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 29, 2012 -> 09:28 PM)
Sounds more like he is trying to pave the way to lesser expectations to me...

I read it as "The team" not "teams" and was excited.

Now sad.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/01/the-...s-cespedes.html

•• "We are aware of the [spring Training] dates," said agent Adam Katz to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports (Twitter links). "We expect him to be in camp with one of the clubs." Katz also called the market for Cespedes "meaningful and aggressive."

• The Marlins, Cubs, White Sox, Orioles, and Tigers are five of the six clubs that have been in serious talks with Cespedes, reports ESPN's Jim Bowden (Twitter links). He is expected to travel to the United States in the next 7-10 days for face-to-face meetings.

• Baseball America's Jim Callis said he would rank Cespedes in the 7-15 range of their top 100 prospects list, and that he would take over as the top prospect of pretty much any team that signs him.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prosp...12/2612878.html

Edited by Real

QUOTE (Real @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 02:42 AM)
• Baseball America's Jim Callis said he would rank Cespedes in the 7-15 range of their top 100 prospects list, and that he would take over as the top prospect of pretty much any team that signs him.

Remember not to read too much into this, if the Japanese pitchers are a decent comparison, Matsuzaka came in as the #1 prospect in MLB when he was posted, and I expect Darvish to come in pretty highly as well.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 10:03 AM)
How in God's name can the Tigers afford Cespedes as well after signing Fielder?

Is Little Caesar's Pizza taking off in profitability in the last 2-3 years?

Ilitch is old and wants to win. He spends more of his own money than any other owner. They haven't made a profit in like ten years supposedly.