2012 Cuban signees thread Cespedes/Soler/Concepcion

southsider2k5

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 08:33 PM)
I thought they said that Cespedes wasn't interested in Miami?

Not to generalize or anything, but I would think any Cuban ball player would want to go to Miami. Obviously Miami would want them too. What is your take?

• Replies 977
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 05:11 PM)
A lot of people have said that, but they threw enough money around to overcome that in the case of Reyes and Buehrle.

I didn't say he said he wouldn't go there. He said he'd rather not. Enough money i'm sure would sway his decision. But a comparable deal would probably pull him elsewhere.

Kevin_Goldstein Kevin Goldstein

Doing all the Yoenis work in the last 48 hours, I talked to a lot of people about Gerardo Concepion.

8 minutes ago

General thought on Concepcion is the same. Highly polished for his age w/ advanced control and secondaries, but not blow away stuff.

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Many teams in on Concepcion; don't have great feel for the market. Not Top 100 guy.

6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Could move quickly for a teenager, but STILL A TEENAGER. RT @jklein78: @Kevin_Goldstein what's the range of timeline for Concepcion?

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Edited by DirtySox

Doing all the Yoenis work in the last 48 hours, I talked to a lot of people about Gerardo Concepion.

8 minutes ago

General thought on Concepcion is the same. Highly polished for his age w/ advanced control and secondaries, but not blow away stuff.

8 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Many teams in on Concepcion; don't have great feel for the market. Not Top 100 guy.

6 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

Could move quickly for a teenager, but STILL A TEENAGER. RT @jklein78: @Kevin_Goldstein what's the range of timeline for Concepcion?

4 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply

I thought that Concepcion was close to signing with a team.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Cespedes- Cubs

Soler - Red Sox

Concepcion - White Sox

I'm okay with that. The White Sox need anything they can get that resembles depth, both pitching and position players. I'm sure KG isn't as high on Concepcion as others due to him being a polished "pitchability" guy. Kevin loves his tools and upside. That's his M.O., and that's fine. Even if Concepcion's ceiling is that of a 3 or 4, it's still better than the majority of the pitching in the system currently. Sign him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:43 PM)
Cespedes- Cubs

Soler - Red Sox

Concepcion - White Sox

Cespedes- Yankees

Soler - Cubs

Concepcion - White Sox

Soler is the guy I want, along with Concepcion, and I think Cespedes is too old for what Theo is looking for in prospects. Concepcion seems like a typical Sox move.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:49 PM)
I'm okay with that. The White Sox need anything they can get that resembles depth, both pitching and position players. I'm sure KG isn't as high on Concepcion as others due to him being a polished "pitchability" guy. Kevin loves his tools and upside. That's his M.O., and that's fine. Even if Concepcion's ceiling is that of a 3 or 4, it's still better than the majority of the pitching in the system currently. Sign him.

Agreed. Good post.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Jan 31, 2012 -> 11:51 PM)
Cespedes- Yankees

Soler - Cubs

Concepcion - White Sox

Soler is the guy I want, along with Concepcion, and I think Cespedes is too old for what Theo is looking for in prospects. Concepcion seems like a typical Sox move.

Believe it or not Soler has more teams chasing him than Cespedes. The Sox are in the mix, but Concepcion seems to be their target, FWIW.

With a Concepcion signing, a decent return if Gavin is traded, and the 13th pick in June I could start to feel a bit better about the farm. Hopefully it's ready to churn out some MLB players or trade chips in the next few seasons. I'd like to see some young cost controlled talent to join players like Sale, Dayan, and Reed around the time Dunn and Rios are gone.

QUOTE (DirtySox @ Feb 1, 2012 -> 01:34 AM)
With a Concepcion signing, a decent return if Gavin is traded, and the 13th pick in June I could start to feel a bit better about the farm. Hopefully it's ready to churn out some MLB players or trade chips in the next few seasons. I'd like to see some young cost controlled talent to join players like Sale, Dayan, and Reed around the time Dunn and Rios are gone.
Not happening.

The full version of the interview sounds like vintage Kenny.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/whitesox/

Coy Williams: Sox GM on Cespedes et al

By Daryl Van Schouwen on January 27, 2012 9:17 PM | 1 Comment | No TrackBacks

General manager Ken Williams was coy when asked about prize Cuban free agent outfielders Yeonis Cespedes and Jorge Soler and lefthander Gerardo Concepcion.

It was hard to know if Williams thought the Sox were in the mix for their services and wanted to lay low or whether he knew the Sox wouldn't be able to afford one or all of them. The Sox are known to have interest and are considered to be one of the teams in the mix for Cespedes, although many consider the Cubs to be front-runners.

"I don't know who you are talking about,'' Williams told reporters when asked about the Cubans.

You know, Cespedes, the five-tool Bo Jackson type center fielder.

"Those are all just rumors,'' Williams said. "I don't know what you guys are talking about.''

Huh?

"Who were these guys? Where are they from?''

Cuba. Someone said you watched Concepcion in person.

"Somebody said I was there,'' Williams said.

"I don't know what you are talking about.''

Reporters laugh, and Williams almost almost spits out his water suppressing a chuckle. Cespedes is the guy who might cost you $50 million.

"Is that the left-handed pitcher?''

No, that's Concepcion. Cespedes is the 26-year-old Bo Jackson. The one Dayan Viciedo is recruiting.

"You think I should check into them?''

Earlier, Williams said the Sox money supply is tapped. He doesn't have cash for a free-agent utility infielder, he said. Soler, 19, and Concepcion, 18, will come cheaper and would help replenish a farm system in need of an injection of talent.

The Cubans came up later during question-and-answer time with fans. It was more of the same from Williams.

"Who are they? Are they any good?'' he asked.

With that, new manger Robin Ventura turned toward Williams and said, "Should we be scouting them?"